Send Topic Print
Old dog new forum (Read 320 times)
Dadyo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Old dog new forum
08/29/18 at 21:09:00

My name is Dale I have a 96 Savage that runs well but has seen better days.
I am going to be rebuilding/chopping this winter. Tanks for any and all info, input and advice in advance.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Old dog new forum
Reply #1 - 08/29/18 at 21:27:26

Welcome , I'd advise you to ride it a bit and see what bugs you the most before starting your rebuild. You might read through the Tech Section about the Petcock , cam chain tensioner ,loose front belt drive pulley , proper oil, and proper Idle speed setting, to avoid damage to the bike . It would be good to tell us your elevation above sea level and the mileage on your bike if you need us to advise. there's a world of knowledge here and it's free for the asking.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dadyo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/29/18 at 21:40:05

Hello again I should have provided more info about myself and my bike. Here we go.
I am a long time Rider and have built many bikes including HD by by.triump.suzuki.kawasaki I have a 96 stock Savage with 26817 mi it has never been worked on at all from what I can tell. It runs well and starts every time. This is my first Savage and I'm going need some tech help. One thing I would like to add is an oil cooler.
Has anyone done this before?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 08/29/18 at 22:05:12

Well first It's way past the mileage were the cam chain tensioner should be checked(15-18000), it's internal ,inside the right (clutch) cover. It could extend so far that it comes apart and does some real damage .
      I don't believe you can run an oil cooler on this bike , it has to be idled at LEAST 1000 rpm just to maintain about 5 psi of oil pressure to the valve train, and we don't even idle the bike while on the side stand ,because it starves the bearing on the uphill end of the cam. A cooler is not needed ,the bike runs about 270F to 300F at the most . We use Rotella T-4 (dino) or Rotella T-6 (syn) both diesel oils because they still contain 1200 ppm ZDDP needed for are older designed valve train . (It was taken out of/or reduced in car oils some year back) these oils are good for 350F & 500F respectively .

IP Logged
Dadyo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/29/18 at 22:08:35

Hey Batman thanks for the advice. I'm new to forums and almost computer illiterate, it's a miracle I got this far. I have had this bike for 3 yrs now, did basic maintenance on it. It was fun as is and reliable, but it's time to go through the motor for most of the things you listed. While doing that I want some power mods, improve handleing, traction and be able to ride more than a few hours without worrying about over heating. By the way I live in Central Missouri, not sure what the elevation is. Thanks again

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 08/29/18 at 22:17:44

Look up  members Verslagen,and Lancer for  custom Tensioners(that double your cam chain life) and high compression pistons/cams / and carbs  .see them in the Marketplace.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 08/30/18 at 09:42:18

Dadyo wrote on 08/29/18 at 22:08:35:
While doing that I want some power mods, improve handling, traction and be able to ride more than a few hours without worrying about over heating. By the way I live in Central Missouri

You will not overheat this bike by riding it.  I have ridden on a lot of 90 - 100 degree days and I have a head temperature gauge.....no problems while under motion.

The only time the bike can get really hot is when you get stuck in a traffic jam - and a cooler likely isn't going to help you much there as the same lack of air flow that isn't cooling the engine isn't going through the cooler as well.

Just ride the darn thing and don't worry about it getting too hot - use Shell Rotella synthetic oil...and just ride!  If you want to worry.....install a head temperature gauge and you can see when the head temp goes up to 300.....only once has my bike ever been that hot (downtown Gatlinburg traffic jam on a 95 degree day).

https://www.trailtech.net/tto-1  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 08/30/18 at 10:05:03

There are horsepower mods and pulley swaps to get rpms down.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dadyo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/02/18 at 04:45:25

Thank for the info on the oil. I've all ways run Castrol 20/50, in all my 4 strokers,this is my first big single so learning.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 09/03/18 at 18:42:14

Do NOT run 20w 50 in this bike ,It will make the bike run hotter than the 15w40 or 5w -40 Rotella or any good 10w 40 motorcycle oil ( Verslagen ,has tested this ,in Southern CA.)

IP Logged
Dadyo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/11/18 at 00:05:06

Got it thank it's due for top end tear down any  way

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 09/11/18 at 00:29:24

Hominy miles on it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dadyo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/11/18 at 03:41:21

IP Logged
Dadyo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/11/18 at 03:48:02

I don't think it's ever had the covers off and she's rattling prity good up there. I pulling the motor, front end so I can get in basement for winter build anyway. Wish me luck!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 09/11/18 at 15:00:07

I wouldn't run it until you check the cam chain tensioner! that's probably the noise you hearing, and these bike runn much longer than the 26000miles you have , One member went 150,000 miles before a rebuild.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 01:39:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Old dog new forum

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.