Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Good deal on Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 (Read 138 times)
antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
Good deal on Shell Rotella T6 5W-40
08/29/18 at 17:04:37

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Good deal on Shell Rotella T6 5W-40
Reply #1 - 08/29/18 at 19:31:51

It may be better to buy a gallon when you need it( Walmart is air conditioned),the reason I say that is because you live in NE FLA .  I lived in Jacksonville for a couple of years myself,  and unless you have a basement or other area at home that doesn't see drastic temperature swings you won't be able to store the oil long term. 100F in summer and 40F in winter and the daily swings ,  will ruin the oil before your able to use it all.

« Last Edit: 08/30/18 at 00:22:43 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/30/18 at 09:08:02

Huh? Dang, Batty, I've been buying gallons and storing them for a couple of years. I don't wanna be messing things up, so, can you explain that a bit more?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 08/30/18 at 09:31:53

Shelf life is about 5 years - it is best to store it where it doesn't get really hot.....I don't know if cold hurts it.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/what-is-the-shelf-life-of-motor-oil

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 08/30/18 at 09:36:58

Yeah, well, if  a little over 100 is hot , I'm not storing it right. I doubt I've had any over three years. But my attitude towards oil has been Wrong.. I've been treating it like it's inert unless it's in a motor..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 08/30/18 at 22:48:14

Jog  from what I 've read,  temperature swings that break down the oil.If I store it in my basement it will stay at a fairly level temperature of around 55-60F  all year around ,but if stored in my garage the swing can be 90 to as cold as -25F seasonally , and today the high here was 90F but right now 1:28 am it's 57F  . These  swings are said to brake down the oil .I can't think of where I read this ,but It seems right ,I believe it's recommended that you change oil in a car at least twice a year regardless of mileage, so it may have some basis in fact.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 08/31/18 at 03:58:25

Well, oil is cheaper than engine parts,,

IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #7 - 08/31/18 at 07:59:43

It's been stored in the earth for thousands of years.  That's good shelf life. Grin

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 08/31/18 at 11:17:32

I looked on line again ,oil can be stored up to 5 years ,but should be stored at temperatures between 40F and 85 F . That would rule out storing it, long term,  in most garages .

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 08/31/18 at 21:16:17

I don't get it, but I'll go with it.

IP Logged
Chance
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/01/18 at 06:02:26

Never thought about temperature swing affecting oil, but it makes sense.  Temp swing affect everything else...sage advice.

Chance

2015 S40, Raptor petcock.
  IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #11 - 09/01/18 at 09:54:59

I have used oil that has been stored for 10 years or longer, and was happy to get it. Think of all the temp. changes every time the engine is started.  There could be something to this, but I'm too thick headed to accept it. I know I could be wrong. Can't let go of my metal, push through the top, oil can opener.

IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #12 - 09/01/18 at 10:15:06

hotrod wrote on 09/01/18 at 09:54:59:
I have used oil that has been stored for 10 years or longer, and was happy to get it. Think of all the temp. changes every time the engine is started.  There could be something to this, but I'm too thick headed to accept it. I know I could be wrong. Can't let go of my metal, push through the top, oil can opener.

I have one of those old oil spouts somewhere around here. And I remember using it way back when.

Not sure I'm convinced about the shelf life thing. But no big deal. I don't 'stock' oil. I have a little on hand for top offs and such. But buy as I need.

I have seen oil so cold that it pours slower than molasses and looks like a butterscotch snowcone. Makes me not want to start an engine at subzero temps.

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 09/01/18 at 15:20:34

hotrod wrote on 09/01/18 at 09:54:59:

It is very likely that the degradation/shelf life recommendation of 5 years is a bit conservative.....and necessary for 100% performance of the oil.  Perhaps at 10 years the oil still performs at 95% of the original rating - who knows for sure.

I have also used oil that was 10 years old and it worked fine for use in our daily driver car....which had over 272,000 miles on it and was still running strong.  When the local Meijer store had a half-price close out on the gallon jugs of Castrol Syntec that my wife's car used - I bought all they had, and it was enough oil that I never had to buy another gallon for the rest of the time she owned the car.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 09/01/18 at 20:15:47

The base oil may well survive 10 years ,but I'd be worried about the additive package that allows them to work as multi weight oil. Living up north I'm only riding about 3,000 miles a year, even if I do complete oil and filter changes each spring I would use 4 gallons for over 5.3 years .Spending $5.28 a year more to insure the life's blood of my motor is fresh  , rather than 2 to 5 year old oil, seems a small price to pay. but each can make up his own mind , I ,like the  people in Canada have been classified as "severe use" as far as oil life is concerned .

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:24:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Good deal on Shell Rotella T6 5W-40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.