Send Topic Print
Help! Smoke! (Read 65 times)
WillytheSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Help! Smoke!
08/28/18 at 18:10:53

03 Savage with a pretty good amount of white smoke consistently coming out near the muffler to exhaust pipe connection.  I can't pinpoint exactly where it's coming from, but that spot would be my guess. I've taken it apart and clamped that connection down as hard as I can and the bike doesn't seem to be backfiring, so I don't think there is an exhaust leak? It wouldn't blow white smoke even if there was one, correct? I can't see any oil leaking anywhere near the spot either.  It also doesn't seem to matter if I'm accelerating or the bike is idling, same amount of smoke.

It couldn't be coming from the cam cover? Or from the little window where you see the oil?

Idk if this any of this matters, but I have put some seaform in the tank recently, and my muffler does have a decent amount of rust in it.  When it's off and I whack it, the rust specks come out like a waterfall. I just cleaned the carb and the bike still only wants to run on PRI.  It dies after about 5 min. when it's set to ON.

Any suggestions???

IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Re: Help! Smoke!
Reply #1 - 08/28/18 at 18:50:08

Easy one is the stalling. Replace the petcock with a Raptor version.

The white smoke sounds like the exhaust is leaking. Not sure why it's white. Could be burning oil. You'd expect blue smoke. But who knows? If the temps are just right.

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/28/18 at 19:48:10

white smoke can be oil or gas.
oil tends to be blue but in great quantities looks white.

check the vac line for gas, if you're running on prime, it could be a bad vac line or a bad petcock.
take it off and plug it.

WWW   IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Reply #3 - 08/29/18 at 02:53:02

If the smokes on start up but trails off when warms it might be bad valve seals.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 08/29/18 at 06:13:52

Search "Seafoam" on Youtube and you'll see white smoke all over the place...
Check your petcock for the other issue.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 08/29/18 at 06:23:01

Not sure if it is cold/humid where you live - but white smoke (water vapor) is common on start up when the muffler is cold.  It goes away when the muffler gets warm.

If you want to check for water vapor/oil - hold a clean mirror in front of the exhaust, and see if water vapor or oil drops congeal on the mirror.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 08/29/18 at 16:42:42

Is the white smoke only coming out at the joint between the muffler and heap pipe, or is it also coming out the back of the muffler?  If the smoke is only coming out at the joint, then it sounds as if something is leaking on the hot pipe.  If the smoke was the result of some sort of issue with combustion, and you had a leak at the joint, then you would expect the smoke to exit at the leak and also from the back of the muffler where exhaust gas is normally supposed to exit.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:35:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help! Smoke!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.