Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Engine stuck at high idle/sounds fine once in 3rd (Read 291 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Engine stuck at high idle/sounds fine once in
Reply #30 - 09/03/18 at 16:57:24

When you changed the mix screw, did you check the spring ,washer and O-ring that's placed on it ,some times the O-ring can be damaged by age.  If you slow the idle down so the bike is barely running be for adjusting the mix screw, you should notice the change in rpm.
     the only other thing I know of that could cause you to run rich and foul the plug, besides the float level,  is if the brass washer is not in place between the needle jet and the main jet. This washer holds the needle jet (cylinder) up fully in the carb body , if it's missing the jet will fall away from the body and allow extra unmetered fuel to flow around it .
       You should start keeping tract of your mileage, If your mileage is around 50 that's normal for the jets your now using, if it's low 40's,  your plug is still dirty,your getting extra fuel from somewhere and it has to be the needle jet /jet needle as the pilot jet only controls fuel at idle , and the main jet doesn't come into play until you reach 3/4 to W.O.T.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Castheandra
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #31 - 09/03/18 at 18:55:44

batman wrote on 09/03/18 at 16:57:24:
When you changed the mix screw, did you check the spring ,washer and O-ring that's placed on it ,some times the O-ring can be damaged by age.  If you slow the idle down so the bike is barely running be for adjusting the mix screw, you should notice the change in rpm.
     the only other thing I know of that could cause you to run rich and foul the plug, besides the float level,  is if the brass washer is not in place between the needle jet and the main jet. This washer holds the needle jet (cylinder) up fully in the carb body , if it's missing the jet will fall away from the body and allow extra unmetered fuel to flow around it .
       You should start keeping tract of your mileage, If your mileage is around 50 that's normal for the jets your now using, if it's low 40's,  your plug is still dirty,your getting extra fuel from somewhere and it has to be the needle jet /jet needle as the pilot jet only controls fuel at idle , and the main jet doesn't come into play until you reach 3/4 to W.O.T.

The mixture screw is completely new...new screw, spring, washer & oring. When I turn it all the way in, nothing happens to the bike...start turning out...nothing happens.

I do have that brass washer in place between the main jet & needle jet, but it does look old-its been cleaned but still shows wear.  

I have a new needle jet on its way to me & will change that asap.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #32 - 09/03/18 at 21:49:20

You have to slow the idle speed down (close the throttle by using the knurled screw on the left side of the carb ) to allow you to hear the change in rpm when adjusting the mix screw. if you screw the mix screw all the way in the bike may not stall, the idle passage splits as it enters the carb ,and the mix screw only blocks one  passage , the other remains open and may supply enough fuel to keep the motor running.( the mix screw doesn't turn off the fuel ,it more a fine adjustment)
      When you last did the needle spacer ,you said that you moved the clip on the needle ,this may have been a mistake , using  the washers should  have been enough ,moving the clip may have sent to much fuel and could be the reason your sparkplug is still covered in soot(unburned fuel) Your trying to compensate by using a 47.5 pilot jet (you should be able to run the stock 52.5) the real problem I believe is the needle jet is to high. when your on the road your at a partial throttle setting ,above idle , and below 3/4 to full throttle , your speed is  controlled by the needle jet /jet needle,(the main source of your fuel)  and that's your problem. If you move the needle clip back to it's stock position and the plug stops sooting ,  but you develop a mid range surging it won't be because of the needle , it will be because your pilot jet is now to small.The reason you close the mix screw in and hear no difference in rpm is because the pilot jet is so small the throttle plate is open farther than normal to allow normal idle speed ,and this lifts the needle giving the carb the extra fuel it needs to idle ,closing the  mix screw only cuts off a part of the small amount of fuel coming from the very small pilot jet and doesn't do much to effect the rpm.(you can't hear the difference)

IP Logged
Castheandra
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #33 - 09/04/18 at 05:10:27

batman wrote on 09/03/18 at 21:49:20:
You have to slow the idle speed down (close the throttle by using the knurled screw on the left side of the carb ) to allow you to hear the change in rpm when adjusting the mix screw. if you screw the mix screw all the way in the bike may not stall, the idle passage splits as it enters the carb ,and the mix screw only blocks one  passage , the other remains open and may supply enough fuel to keep the motor running.( the mix screw doesn't turn off the fuel ,it more a fine adjustment)
      When you last did the needle spacer ,you said that you moved the clip on the needle ,this may have been a mistake , using  the washers should  have been enough ,moving the clip may have sent to much fuel and could be the reason your sparkplug is still covered in soot(unburned fuel) Your trying to compensate by using a 47.5 pilot jet (you should be able to run the stock 52.5) the real problem I believe is the needle jet is to high. when your on the road your at a partial throttle setting ,above idle , and below 3/4 to full throttle , your speed is  controlled by the needle jet /jet needle,(the main source of your fuel)  and that's your problem. If you move the needle clip back to it's stock position and the plug stops sooting ,  but you develop a mid range surging it won't be because of the needle , it will be because your pilot jet is now to small.The reason you close the mix screw in and hear no difference in rpm is because the pilot jet is so small the throttle plate is open farther than normal to allow normal idle speed ,and this lifts the needle giving the carb the extra fuel it needs to idle ,closing the  mix screw only cuts off a part of the small amount of fuel coming from the very small pilot jet and doesn't do much to effect the rpm.(you can't hear the difference)

I appreciate your advice & help but I don't think you're actually reading what I'm writing. I 100% understand that the idle needs to be slowed down in order to hear the change when turning the air mixture screw. It has been said endlessly and you are just assuming that I'm not doing it this way. I have done this. There was no change. So I bought a new screw set for it.  Still no change.

So, as suggested by someone on this thread- I moved the clip one up, to try and lean out a bit. This worked. So I left it. Bike ran well for 150kms. Then dies in the forest. It was suggested to me, by a savage owner, that I should try my smallest jet because the air mixture screw is not working. I dont know how else to say it ...BUT the screw does not work. Doesn't matter how slow I out my idle, it.does.not work.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #34 - 09/04/18 at 07:55:36

Castheandra

When you turn the air screw in (clockwise), does it "seat" or tighten? If it doesn't seat your screw could be stripped and this could be a source of an airleak.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #35 - 09/05/18 at 16:13:38

I 've come to the conclusion after watching us go up -down - and all around with the carb ,that the carb isn't the problem.(but the present jets are not good) I would go into detail ,but you'd probably think I was not trusting your ability. (untrue) so I'll simply say this. Get rid of the stock muffler! It's 25 years old ! You took a 2000Km trip and then the bike stopped running .carbs conditions don't change that quick unless you have plugged jets ,but old rusted internals in the muffler can. do yourself a favor . get a Dyna muffler and go about retuning your carb.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 12:25:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine stuck at high idle/sounds fine once in 3rd

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.