Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Engine stuck at high idle/sounds fine once in 3rd (Read 291 times)
Castheandra
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Ontario
Re: Engine stuck at high idle/sounds fine once in
Reply #15 - 08/30/18 at 04:43:16

batman wrote on 08/29/18 at 20:47:41:
DBM the throttle plate is never fully closed, it is cracked open even at idle (if you don't think so back your idle speed screw out all the way and watch your bike die) , and it provides added air when released by virtue of the increased vacuum it causes down stream and therefore increased air velocity through the opening . At the same time the fuel ratio is going lean because the spacer mod has not been done( bike is only 200ft above sea level) ,this may well tend to increase rather than slow rpm ( a slightly lean condition produces more power)
      how many Savages will run at sea level with the stock spacer?  how many have had intake air leaks?

The spacer mod is done. And there doesn't seem to be an air leak at the intake manifold.

It's worth noting that the throttle rises when the clutch is pulled in/when I go to downshift. It's almost as if it gets hung up in 3rd or 4th.

And yes, the throttle plate closes 99% of the way, with a slight opening left.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #16 - 08/30/18 at 06:45:08

[quote author=062436360D2A302120450 link=1535467016/15#15 date=1535629396]batman wrote on 08/29/18 at 20:47:41:
It's worth noting that the throttle rises when the clutch is pulled in/when I go to downshift. It's almost as if it gets hung up in 3rd or 4th.

The carb knows nothing of gear selection. The only association between the two is the resulting throttle input. If the rpm is changing when the clutch is pulled, it suggests that there is problem with the clutch causing excessive drag on the drivetrain.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Castheandra
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #17 - 08/30/18 at 07:27:55

[quote author=22282C262D242029777175450 link=1535467016/15#16 date=1535636708]Castheandra wrote on 08/30/18 at 04:43:16:
batman wrote on 08/29/18 at 20:47:41:

The carb knows nothing of gear selection. The only association between the two is the resulting throttle input. If the rpm is changing when the clutch is pulled, it suggests that there is problem with the clutch causing excessive drag on the drivetrain.

Silly question maybe, but would clutch issues be linked to being a problem with my tensioner??? I checked my tensioner a few months ago, and it seemed ok. And how would I go about checking to see if the clutch is my main problem?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 08/30/18 at 08:31:34

I wouldn't be concerned with the clutch and its effects on the idle unless it persists after the high idle is resolved.

I agree that air leaks are a possibility, but I it's more likely that is has something to do with the carb based on the information provided in the OP.

Also, what else was touched, mucked with or changed recently?  

1)  The valves were adjusted.  A overly tight valve lash is one of the worse things for a valve train and it only gets worse as an engine gets hot and the head expands.  I can cause a lack of power and a hanging idle.  It also makes an engine run very lean.

I'm not sure why a tight valve lash would run well for a few weeks before showing symptoms and your "tapping" of the carb would not affect valve lash.  Unless the drop in idle speed just coincidently coincided with the timing of the act.  Either way,  you want to be sure this isn't a problem.  You may want to have your mechanic make sure nothing bad is happening up there.

2)  You also change a needle and seat.  Did you use OEM or an aftermarket kit?  You think you smelled gas in your oil??  Maybe the float is set too high or the valve is not seating properly?  This would provide the engine with more fuel than it needs at idle.  Did tapping the carb seat the float needle???  If so maybe it's not the slide at all.

3) You suspected the slide was sticking and had that apart. Maybe it is, but why now all the sudden?

Stay focused on the recent and relevant events.

IP Logged
Castheandra
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #19 - 08/30/18 at 09:50:44

The needle +seat were from the Suzuki dealership, so I'm assuming OEM.

I don't have a mechanic, a friend helped with the valves and I basically do everything else myself, or I've been trying to (with the help of this forum!!!)

I did measure the float level, it seemed a little higher than what is recommended on here (1-1.12" I believe) , do you adjust this by moving the little tab on the float?

I also read that you can wash the slide & tev diaphragm with a light dish soap. Is it beneficial for me to try this? Both diaphragms seem in good condition.

I'll rebuild and clean the carb tonight, put in smaller jets & follow the other tips given...see where I end up!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #20 - 08/30/18 at 10:56:03

If there is any pitting on the slide, or in the carb body where the slide...er...slides, then those parts must be replaced. If you have a pair of calipers, then check the diameter of the new needle versus the old - or just check that the needle freely moves up and down in the needle valve without hanging up. BTW, a bent needle will cause all sorts of problems...so roll it on a flat surface to ensure it's not bent. While you're at it, check the condition of the needle valve seat, they do wear out. The float height is changed via force. Be careful when moving the carb around without the bowl attached, the float pin easily falls out and always rolls where you can't find it.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #21 - 08/30/18 at 21:22:33

The spacer mod is done ?-what did you do?
 Did you readjust the fuel mix screw? how many turns out from closed   is it?
 If the throttle plate is 99% closed and the mix screw is about only one turn out ,the 55 pilot jet is to large, you 'll need to go back to the 52.5(stock pilot jet) and a main jet no larger than a 150  (and again retune the mix screw.)The black soot on your sparkplug is from running way to rich , that's telling you the jets you have now are to large.
 Did you try running the bike minus the cone filter?

Your shifting the bike from first to third , the clutch must be working,it has nothing to do with your problem.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Castheandra
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #22 - 08/31/18 at 06:11:59

I did the spacer mod back in the spring, switched the white washer with 3 little metal washers that came with my jetset from the fellow on here!

My air/fuel mixture screw didnt work, as I mentioned a few times. I just replaced it this morning, along with a full carb clean & rebuild. Put in a 50 pilot and 150main. These are the jet sizes I had in when it was running well and I wasn't getting a carbon fouled plug. I went to higher jets because people kept telling me to do so. As a woman in the moto world,  im often told I'm wrong....so I try othersr advice and see how it goes.

I understand that black soot is a carbon fouled plug & running rich...I totally get that....my issue is figuring out how to STOP that.  The bike was running rich when I bought it, with stock jets. Once I did the Raptor PC & spacer mod & changed jet sizes, it was running well & I did a 2000+kms trip...then my bike died in an intersection & wouldn't start again.....got my valves done, rebuilt my carb & the float needle was really worn so I replaced that with a OEM needle+seat from the dealership. Now the only parts I haven't changed in my Carb is the slide w/diaphragm & the TEV diaphragm & my jet needle. I have a new jet needle on its way to me.

Put the bike together this morning, went for a test ride & it DOES run better but then started to get hung up & high idle again....right away I jumped off the back-literally LIGHTLY tapped the float bowl with the rubber end of a screw driver ...and the idle immediately went down. Didn't even have to tap it hard.

So something is getting hung up. My float needle is only 3 weeks old, seems to moves freely in the seat.....think it's half a shot putting the old float needle back in & see what happens cuz I didn't have a high idle hang prior to changing it.

Maybe a combo of testing the old seat + new needle and then old needle in new seat?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #23 - 08/31/18 at 09:01:13

Remove one washer from the needle and see if that clears the problem.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #24 - 08/31/18 at 10:18:36

I would not interchange the float valve needle and seat, they come as a set. I'd stay with the new set . You may want to revisit setting the float valve height ( the height is the distance between the upper body and the lowest part of the float ,and yes it 's adjusted by bending the small tang on the float .BUT the measurement given does not include the thickness of bowl gasket ,if it stays in place in the carb body you'll need to slightly decrease the measurement.
     It would seem that the slide is still hanging up . when you reassemble ,you need to be sure ,that the side diaphragm tongue (lip) is in the recess,( the diaphragm only goes in one position)and that you push the outer built up edge into the groove all the way around the outside edge, and that the spring is centered in the top cap.
  when you have the carb reassembled ,but before mounting to the bike,you should be able to put your finger in the throat of the carb and push up slowly on the slide,feel if it hangs up and release it and it should drop smoothly. If it doesn't , you could remove the needle and repeat, this would at least tell you if the problem is the slide or a bent needle jet.

IP Logged
Castheandra
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #25 - 08/31/18 at 10:48:09

batman wrote on 08/31/18 at 10:18:36:
I would not interchange the float valve needle and seat, they come as a set. I'd stay with the new set . You may want to revisit set the float valve height ( the height is the distance between the upper body and the lowest part of the float ,and yes it 's adjusted by bending the small tang on the float .BUT the measurement given does not include the thickness of bowl gasket ,if it stays in place in the carb body you'll need to slightly decrease the measurement.
     It would seem that the slide is still hanging up . when you reassemble ,you need to be sure ,that the side diaphragm tongue (lip) is in the recess,( the diaphragm only goes in one position) that you push the outer built up edge into the groove all the way around the outside edge, and that the spring is centered in the top cap.
  when you have the carb reassembled ,but before mounting to the bike,you should be able to put your finger in the throat of the carb and push up slowly on the slide,feel if it hangs up and release it and it should drop smoothly. If it doesn't , you could remove the needle and repeat, this would at least tell you if the problem is the slide or a bent needle jet.

It for sure moves freely up & down on the bench. I did it a dozen times or so while watching to see if it got hung out, or stuck or acted weird.....pushed slide up, let it fall down by itself no problems....have the carb off now & just did the same thing, no hang ups on the slide :/

Float measures, without the gasket, about 1.30", so it's bit high I think???? Paranoid I'll break that brass tab but trying to move it but I guess that's what's gotta happen!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #26 - 08/31/18 at 14:37:58

well if that's the case , your problem is the float ,not the slide. if tapping lightly on the carb drops the fast idle the float is hanging up for some reason

IP Logged
Castheandra
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #27 - 08/31/18 at 16:03:09

So this round I moved the clip one up on the jet needle (figured ii could at least lean it out this way), left the 3 metal washers, cleaned everything up...Took the bike for a 30min test ride, and no hanging idol. I haven't touched the jet needle adjustment since May-so I find this weird.

Air/fuel adjustment is set to 1 full turn out. Bike is a little boggy in 1st, has more "light little back fires" than I'm used to, but it IS running better + no idle hang. Kept the 50pilot/150 main in as well.

Think I'm getting somewhere finally!!!! Attempting a little 500kms trip this weekend, see how far I get 🤞

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #28 - 09/02/18 at 23:02:48

+1 for too large jets !  Try 52.5/150
ps: former Ottawan, a long time ago! Cheers! Cool

IP Logged
Castheandra
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Ontario
Reply #29 - 09/03/18 at 05:43:24

zipidachimp wrote on 09/02/18 at 23:02:48:
+1 for too large jets !  Try 52.5/150
ps: former Ottawan, a long time ago! Cheers! Cool

I was running 50/150 and then 120kms into my trip, the bike died. Changed the spark plug (still carbon fouled) and put in the smallest pilot jet I had, which was a 47.5 I believe. Ran better the next 300kms & didn't die at all!

Air/fuel mixture screw isnt working, just bought a new one and it makes no difference how many turns in or out. So this is probably my main problem I would think.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 14:32:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine stuck at high idle/sounds fine once in 3rd

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.