Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Why Harley Sales are down. (Read 675 times)
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Why Harley Sales are down.
Reply #60 - 01/29/19 at 10:41:36

Maybe HD isn't completely clueless.  Maybe they can start to attract younger buyers with less expensive "bikes" and build a future market...

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/video-first-test-rides-of-harleys-small...

"During his test ride, Mitrani noted that “everywhere I went, people were stopping and taking photos.” Isn’t that what these electric bikes are all about? Reaching new riders with new technologies and designs? Always good to see people excited about getting on two wheels. Time will tell how this strategy plays out for Harley-Davidson."

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #61 - 01/29/19 at 18:28:06

That's the sad truth - buyers simply are not as interested in motorcycles as they have been in previous generations.

It's not just a Harley problem.  How does the motorcycle industry address that?  

I made a natural transition from a bicycle to a small motorcycle.   This next generation did't ride bicycles to much .    

I also had a "need" for cheep transportation , young folks might not have that same need so much ?    Huh

Fact is , back then good mpg on a car meant the VW bug at 28 mpg.   Now days my car gets 35 mpg and a lot of motorcycles get 28 mpg.   So much for "cheep" transportation.  

I had a single carbed  CD-Honda-175 that got about 85mpg.   But it toped out at 70 mph.  My idea of "Cheep Transportation" !  Wink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CD175

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #62 - 01/29/19 at 19:36:34

Quote:
Maybe HD isn't completely clueless.

Yes they are.

Those things are nothing more than gadgets for the X games crowd. If Harley actually tries to market such things as that, the Chinese or S. Koreans will grab one, copy it, and put their version on the market for half the price. If the geniuses running the MoCo think that those contraptions are going to be the salvation of the brand they might as well throw in the towel right now.

They need to face facts, tighten their belt, make the most of what they've got, and concentrate on doing what they know how to do well. Will their market contract, sales be fewer? Sure. But demand isn't going to go away completely. Focus on what makes the BIKES different and Unique.  And force their dealers to make first- class customer service a priority.  Market that. Forget about the lifestyle bullsh*t that they push so hard, and focus on being a premium brand.  

And fire everyone who ever thought that an Electric Harley Davidson,of any size, was a good idea.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #63 - 01/29/19 at 19:49:22

What does make a Harley different and unique from other Vtwin cruiser type bikes? Reliability, handling, fuel economy, noise, style, born in the USA or what? As several here have pointed out, the US market appears to be saturated with good condition, low mileage second hand ones at significantly reduced prices.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #64 - 01/30/19 at 05:32:22

jcstokes wrote on 01/29/19 at 19:49:22:
What does make a Harley different and unique from other Vtwin cruiser type bikes?

A lot of their appeal is legend......and the cultural acceptance of owning an American motorcycle.  Folks buy them for the same reason they buy Polo and Izod shirts......it is a cultural fashion statement and fulfills their inner desire to be a "biker" and fit in with the other bikers.

Not all Harley's are bad, and Serowbot, Lancer, MMRanch, MPescatori and other forum members can tell you - they can be reliable and fun bikes to own and ride.  My Harley experience is pretty limited - I rented a Softail Classic for 24 hours while vacationing in Florida, and I have ridden MMRanch's 883 Sportster several times.  They both were fun to ride, the softail was big and heavy and challenged my physical strength at traffic lights and in parking lots - and it certainly was not overpowered.....but on the highway it just loafed along at 70mph like it was no big deal.  MM's Sportster was a hoot to accelerate and listen to the sound of the engine going potato, potato, potato - it has the sound of "manliness".

I am not sure how Harley can keep their icon status - I don't know if there are going to be enough "new" motorcycle sales to keep the massive overhead that the dealers and corporation require.....around here the Harley dealers are massive and located in high rent districts.  There are so many used bikes for sale at prices so far below dealer prices for new bikes - I just don't see how they can keep so many expensive dealers operating.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #65 - 01/30/19 at 05:53:44

oldNslow wrote on 01/29/19 at 19:36:34:
Those things are nothing more than gadgets for the X games crowd. If Harley actually tries to market such things as that, the Chinese or S. Koreans will grab one, copy it, and put their version on the market for half the price.

HD is the one doing the copying on this one.  Those bikes are out there right now.  Guess you missed it because they aren't coming from a marketing giant. Wink

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #66 - 01/30/19 at 06:34:52

Quote:
HD is the one doing the copying on this one.  Those bikes are out there right now.  Guess you missed it because they aren't coming from a marketing giant. Wink

Probably more because I don't pay much attention to that particular market niche. If the Harley prototypes really are derivatives of stuff that's already out there, well, that's even worse for HD's future IMO. I don't see many folks that want an electric mountain bike going to the local Harley Dealership  looking for one.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #67 - 01/30/19 at 07:42:01

I've had two Harleys ,

One was Carb-ed , one fuel- injected.  

The Carb-ed one was easier on fuel and ran just fine .   But the injected one didn't have the same feel to it.   It was like "Leather vs Plastic .      

The relay for the injector only went out once , but every time I filled the fuel tank I was reminded about the Carb-ed version getting 52-55 mpg and the injected version getting 45-50mpg .
Its like they fixed what wasn't broken , just to keep-up with the Honda's !  Grin

Instead of lowering their price to beat the Honda price they tried to beat Honda at Honda's own game !   What a bunch of Screw-balls !  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 10:32:02

General CategoryThe Cafe › Why Harley Sales are down.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.