Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Why Harley Sales are down. (Read 675 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Why Harley Sales are down.
Reply #45 - 01/26/19 at 11:12:31

oldNslow wrote on 01/26/19 at 09:19:37:
" The only way I see the motorcycle industry prying money out of their hands it to sell the motorcycle as a viable means of transportation."

I'm not too sure about that. The young folks I'm referring to all use cars or trucks as their primary means of transportation. The bikes are recreational vehicles.

If the recreation market is already saturated and you don't see it as transportation, what's next? m/c's as art?

When you can get 4 m/c's in the space of every car and grid locked cars are only a filter for m/c's... means of transportation is a necessity.

WWW   IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #46 - 01/26/19 at 12:21:38

Quote:
When you can get 4 m/c's in the space of every car and grid locked cars are only a filter for m/c's... means of transportation is a necessity.

Perhaps in a few locations in the US, but not most of the country. Most places have a riding season that is only half or 3/4ths of each year. And No place other than California that I'm aware of has legal lane splitting, regardless of how bad traffic is.

Where I live the riding season starts in the middle of March during a good year - that's when the first spring rain washes the salt off the roads - and ends in November when it first snows. And that only applies to folks willing to ride in morning temps often in the mid thirties. I don't know a single person around here who even entertains the idea that a motorcycle is a viable means of year round transportation. Trying to market them as such in this locale is never going to happen. I think that is the case in most of the US.

Add to that the vastly increased aggressiveness, inattentiveness,and simple incompetence of automobile drivers even compared to a decade or so ago, and the number of distracting devices actually BUILT INTO modern cars and trucks, trying to market motorcycles as a safe, comfortable means of utilitarian transport is just not going to work IMO.

Motorcycles in this country will always be vehicles for enthusiasts. I ride because it's fun. So does everyone else I know.

I was a teenager when Honda started importing their first small bikes into the US. Honda didn't try to convince folks that they were replacements for the family station wagon. They told folks they were fun.

Somehow today's motorcycle makers, not just Harley, have got to get that message across to youngsters today. And make the bikes that will make it true.

That approach worked on me. I harassed my parents relentlessly until they gave in and allowed me to buy a (used) one of these:

https://www.bike-urious.com/1964-honda-c200/

I can't remember what a new one cost, but mine was a few months old and cost me my life savings at that point. $265 OTD  Smiley

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #47 - 01/26/19 at 16:36:30

If anyone wants to sell an electric/gas hybrid motorcycle, I'm listening ! but I'm not holding my breath, or waiting to ride in the meantime!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #48 - 01/26/19 at 19:38:17

Thyere was actually a popular song about Hondas in the sixties, some of the verse went "First gear, lean right, second gear hang on tight" or words to that effect. The song was called "Little Honda" and was sung by the Beach Boys. In a You Tube version a young woman, now a probable granny is seen gyrating in a potentially suggestive manner. Large numbers of Boomers, now potetial grand parents are seen swinging along. According to the song, the Honda climbs hills better than a Matchless.

« Last Edit: 01/26/19 at 20:38:20 by jcstokes »  

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #49 - 01/27/19 at 09:00:13

Seems all bikes prices are down......

I've been checking out bikes and I am amazed just how cheap used bikes are, you can get a screaming deal on bikes under 5K  Shocked

Also, I've been seeing more trikes and other contraptions with a enclosed cab, that they still call a motorcycle (?) that might be a growing market, not sure?  Undecided

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #50 - 01/27/19 at 10:03:20

raydawg wrote on 01/27/19 at 09:00:13:
Seems all bikes prices are down......

I've been checking out bikes and I am amazed just how cheap used bikes are, you can get a screaming deal on bikes under 5K  Shocked

Also, I've been seeing more trikes and other contraptions with a enclosed cab, that they still call a motorcycle (?) that might be a growing market, not sure?  Undecided

Absolutely.....if you are willing to look and buy a bargain - you can get absolute deals.   A neighbor of mine had a Suzuki Volusia 800 that he installed cast wheels so he could have tubeless tires and he had nearly new Michelin Commanders installed, a windshield, and he swapped the rear end from a Volusia 1,000 so he had a bit taller gearing.  It only had 6,000 gentle miles on it and was stored inside...he sold it for $2,400 and included the original spoked wheels and 800 rear end!  I was slightly tempted - but then I considered I really don't want to ride a big V-Twin, and if I bought it to resell I would not make any money by the time I paid the taxes on the purchase.

The 3 wheel vehicles are selling to the folks who want the open air fun of a motorcycle - but are not brave or healthy enough to ride a 2 wheeler.  If you go to the resorty areas....you will see more of them than you do out here in rural America.  They are a pricey toy!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #51 - 01/27/19 at 12:51:17

Yeah, it seems most I observed want to get out of the weather.
And most appeared electric too!

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Beerm8
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #52 - 01/27/19 at 14:20:13

jc   i'm pretty sure that was the Hondells, not the Beach Boys

IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Reply #53 - 01/27/19 at 15:57:39

According to the song, the Honda climbs hills better than a Matchless. [/quote]

I might have something to say about that!  Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #54 - 01/27/19 at 20:09:26

Time for a Miata.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #55 - 01/28/19 at 02:05:40

BeerM8, you could be right, I'm sure the song I saw on You Tube was The Beach Boys, but I'd had some beer and could be wrong.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #56 - 01/28/19 at 06:29:42

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #57 - 01/28/19 at 10:27:51

Ok Matchless G 11, it climbs hills like a Matchless cause it's built really light.

IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Reply #58 - 01/28/19 at 16:47:30

I have thought of having a sticker for the rear fender that says.

"Climbs hills like a what?"

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #59 - 01/29/19 at 08:28:27

More bad news from Milwaukee:

Harley-Davidson shares tank after big earnings miss

The company reported $500,000 in net income during the fourth quarter, versus net income of $8.3 million on consolidated revenue of $1.23 billion in the same period in 2017.

Harley-Davidson has struggled in recent years with declining sales and fears buyers simply are not as interested in motorcycles as they have been in previous generations.

http://www.yahoo.com/news/harley-davidson-shares-tank-big-122600213.html

That's the sad truth - buyers simply are not as interested in motorcycles as they have been in previous generations.

It's not just a Harley problem.  How does the motorcycle industry address that?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 10:38:16

General CategoryThe Cafe › Why Harley Sales are down.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.