Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Why Harley Sales are down. (Read 675 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Why Harley Sales are down.
Reply #30 - 09/01/18 at 04:11:29

I think this may be related to this thread.....sort of.

Yesterday I took a long ride up toward Dayton, OH.  On the way home it was rush hour so I stayed off the interstate and stayed on Route 4.  It was a nice weather and a Friday evening.....I saw a lot of motorcycles.  One older Honda Goldwing that was weathered and looked like a commuter, about 5 sport bikes (2 in downtown Cincinnati that had swing arms 3 feet longer than stock and another one in Fairfield that had a back tire 2 feet wide), a Yamaha FJR, a couple of other bikes that were sport touring bikes but too far away to identify. and one helmetless jerk on a ratty sport bike going 80mph on a downtown Cincinnati street --------and about 50 Harleys!  I was amazed how many Harleys were on this road - some were guys going home from work, several were guys riding in pairs, and about a dozen were guys/girls out on their Friday night date, and one factory had 4 in the employee parking lot.  All the Harleys were shiny, loud, and the riders all had the "I am bad" riding gear on (no helmet, dew rag, sunglasses, etc.).

I do believe that Harley sales are down - but it doesn't appear the riders on Route 4 have stopped riding their bikes!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 09/01/18 at 10:11:20

The bikes I see most often are the large Harleys, around here there must be five Harleys for ever other bike on the road.  The sport bikes have nearly disappeared and the adventure touring bikes seem to be the preferred ride of the younger guys and make up the largest group after Harleys.  Craigslist has a lot of Harleys listed for sale at any one time and the prices appear to be down a little.  I think that anyone who every wanted a Harley already has one.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #32 - 09/13/18 at 04:38:48

Well this may be the shape of things to come for the Millennial commuters when they want something bigger than their Grom.  The BMW GS was the best selling bike in the UK - but in Italy this now the best selling model.

https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/adventure/x-adv/overview.html

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/265193/honda-sales-beat-bmw-in-italy/

« Last Edit: 09/13/18 at 06:41:35 by Dave »  

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 09/13/18 at 18:37:53

I sort of like the concept of that Honda X ADV, thanks for the link because I didn't know they existed.  As I get older I am starting to think that a different motorcycle configuration might be more appropriate in terms of ergonomics, center of gravity and weight.  I know too many guys who have given up riding because they couldn't get comfortable or they have lost confidence in handling their bikes.  Which brings us back to why Harley sales are down.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #34 - 09/13/18 at 19:40:11

The X ADV is an interesting bike. Expensive though,  9600 pounds in the UK, which is around  12000 US dollars.  

I don't think the X ADV is available in the US at this time though.

This place opened up in my town at the beginning of this summer.

https://www.cortesecyclesales.com/

Take a look at the late model low mileage HDs in their inventory. I think part of Harley's problem with new bike sales right now it the glut of really mint almost new  HDs out there at really attractive prices compared to new. And this place is less than a half a mile from Cycle Stop, one of the biggest HD dealers in the region.

John Cortese, who opened this store, has been in the new automobile business in Rochester for as long as I've lived here, with multiple successful dealerships. Chrysler, Jeep, Ford, Mitsubishi. I don't think Cortese would have made the investment to open this place unless he was pretty sure he was going to sell a bunch of bikes.

I stopped by not long ago and looked around and I was impressed. All the bikes that I looked at appeared pretty much flawless. Sort of like the low mileage used cars you would expect to see in a high end new car dealer's inventory.

They even had a few of what the salesman I chatted with called "Cortese Customs" Nearly new Harleys with custom paint jobs done in one of the auto dealership's paint shops. Not my taste particularly, but very professionally done. Flawless paint.

It's going to be interesting to see how this venture works out.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #35 - 09/14/18 at 03:25:52

If you like scrubbing off rubber in curves - but still want to be able to stuff some clothes in saddlebags and go touring.......the Honda Interceptor is a great bike - even though it is 16 years old!

https://www.cortesecyclesales.com/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=580376...

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 09/14/18 at 05:45:23

Dave,

I think you are missing the point.  You are posting bikes you would ride. (Well, maybe that's part of the point, they aren't Harley's either.)  If a millennial were willing to ride a bike, they wouldn't be caught dead on that interceptor and they wouldn't drop $12k on something they won't understand until they become an enthusiast.   The motorcycle industry is so far out of touch with the younger generation it's not even funny.  

If I had to guess, they would be smart building small bikes and scooters that appeal to women and market the crap out of them.  Young women are fiercely independent and progressive.  Once the young, "wuss bag" male sees a girl riding a motorcycle he'll follow her lead.  That's what young males do these days, they follow the female lead (as they should because girls aren't the wuss bags.) Grin

But, if you can get them started, the ADV would be right up their alley.

That said, I'm still not sure they are buying.  Motorcycling is not a very social sport.  You ride around for hours NOT talking, NOT texting, NOT instagraming, NOT tweating, NOT reading your friends posts...NOT communicating.

That's why I think it has to be seen as a viable means of transportation.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 09/14/18 at 06:44:10

I agree with Ohiomoto, marketing a smaller bike, and to females is what will appeal to the younger generation.  Of the bikes I've had the 95 Savages are the most appealing to new riders, and females like that they can pick them up on their own with no help.  For that matter I do too.  When I go down I can pull my leg out from under it easy.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #38 - 09/14/18 at 08:03:15

ohiomoto wrote on 09/14/18 at 05:45:23:
Dave,

I think you are missing the point.  You are posting bikes you would ride.

Yeah.....I got distracted by the link that oldNslow posted and did get a bit off the Harley topic.  And you are correct - the Interceptor is the only one of the used bikes at Cortese that I would buy.

« Last Edit: 01/26/19 at 02:59:31 by Dave »  

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #39 - 09/14/18 at 16:22:09

Don't let it bother ya Dave ..

I went and sat on a Royal Enfield Himalia today .   its only $4,600 new and there ain't a Harley anywhere that feels like so much fun waiting to happen.

Wink

The one they had in stock had silver looking hard suitcase boxes and quick disconnect mounting system , built in luggage rack , windshield (small) , and a 4 gal fuel tank.    It was already sold but was waiting on a engine guard they had ordered.  

The Saleman Said " They sell faster than I can get them " !  Roll Eyes

Harley don't have that problem  Huh

From what the salesman said those 650 twin Royal Enfield bikes are selling faster than they can make them too.   The Nashville dealer ain't even seen on of them yet , but he did show me the 2019 model sheet.
https://www.royalenfield.com/motorcycles/twins/

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #40 - 09/28/18 at 04:18:54

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #41 - 09/28/18 at 17:07:35

I see the guy buying the Harley is a fifty four year old web developer, at or near the peak of his earnings.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 01/18/19 at 06:17:56

Here is something HD did that is actually really smart: http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/harley-davidson-funded-study-proves-motor...

And even though they funded the study, I think the results could be legitimate.

I'm not sure how much this will help them market to the menials, buy it will help greybeards justify their riding habits to their "old ladies".  LOL

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 01/25/19 at 19:58:39

ohiomoto wrote on 08/29/18 at 05:49:02:
Motorcycle sales are down across the board.  Partly because they have spent the last 30 years pushing technology forward which has resulted in an increase in prices.  Entry level bikes are limited. Small displacement bikes are limited.  Value options are limited.  The sweet spot for beginners is the small DS bike market, but not everyone wants to ride a "dirt bike".  

Another factor is that people don't see motorcycles as a practical means of transportation and the motorcycle industry hasn't sold it as one either.   They just market to dreamers who want to get away from life's daily grind.  Greybeards, go-tees, and leather??  Who does that appeal to?

Harley is taking it hard because they have a limited product (4 basic models) and most of it is expensive.  Their lineup is almost entirely made of touring bikes and cruisers.  No off-road bikes, no race bikes, no mini bikes, no four-wheels or utility vehicles.  I think their street lineup is the right idea, but they are still basically $8k - $10k.  Not exactly cheap.  

Millennials are doers that want to live life, not get away from it, and they don't do leather. Young people would rather spend that money on a travel adventure or put it into a sprinter van build and spend a year driving it around the country.

They only way I see the motorcycle industry prying money out of their hands it to sell the motorcycle as a viable means of transportation.

Hate to break the news to you guys, these kids aren't a stupid as we thought.  Well, that is until they realize that they might not have a good job waiting for them at the end of the rainbow.  They'll be alright though.  

---------------------

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/25/actually-young-people-really-could-kill-harle...

I don't work for UBS, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn... Wink

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #44 - 01/26/19 at 09:19:37

Quote:
Millennials are doers that want to live life, not get away from it, and they don't do leather. Young people would rather spend that money on a travel adventure or put it into a sprinter van build and spend a year driving it around the country.

Hate to break the news to you guys, these kids aren't a stupid as we thought.

Yup.

Stereotyping Millennials as being all the same, is just as stupid as stereotyping everyone who rides a Harley as a pirate dressing, loud pipe, one per-center wannabe.

My son is a Millennial, as his his wife. They both have advanced degrees in fields that allow them to have a very Good income. Much better than mine was before I retired. There are two motorcycles in their garage. A Honda VTX1300c and a Triumph Thruxton. Among their circle of close friends, also  mostly Millennials I can count the following motorcycles: Triumph Rocket !!!, Heritage Softtalil classic, Two Victory Cross Countrys ( a husband and wife own identical bikes), A Harley Vrod, A Honda cb300f and a brand new Softalil Slim. There are also a couple of small dirt bikes that one couples' kids ride.

" The only way I see the motorcycle industry prying money out of their hands it to sell the motorcycle as a viable means of transportation."

I'm not too sure about that. The young folks I'm referring to all use cars or trucks as their primary means of transportation. The bikes are recreational vehicles.

The common denominator is a certain level of disposable income. And possibly growing up in a household where they were exposed to motorcycles. My son, and some of the others, had Dads that rode, or ride, so they had some exposure to bikes growing up.

I think Harley has two big problems. Its product line is not diverse enough, and it's marketing strategy is just plain stupid.

They need to stop with the "wind in your hair, "rebel without a clue" nonsense and focus on the motorcycles themselves, which, when used for what they were designed for, are mostly good bikes. The big touring bikes especially.

They also need to figure out a way to get the dealers on board when a model that's out of the HD mainstream is introduced. The Street line for example. Those are not bad bikes-although the first model year examples had some issues that have since been resolved - but when you walk into a dealership and ask about one and the salesman tells you "Nah, You don't want one of those. How about this Sportster over here ? It's not that much more and it's a 'real Harley'", they aren't going to sell very many, especially to folks looking to buy their first bike, or their first Harley.

There are 4 HD dealers within 50 miles of where I live. There is not a single 2018 or 2019 Street model in the current  inventory at any of them.You can't sell what you don't have, even if you want to.Same thing happened to the Vrod, and of course Buell.

And then there is the Livewire. Any one at the Motor Company who had anything to do with that debacle needs to be looking for work in another field.

I like Harleys. I own one. I wish them well. There is nothing wrong with the motorcycles. There is a lot wrong with the folks running the company right now unfortunately.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 10:23:56

General CategoryThe Cafe › Why Harley Sales are down.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.