Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
No fluid in battery - could be a short? (Read 68 times)
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
No fluid in battery - could be a short?
08/26/18 at 10:45:43

Hi Guys,

So a couple of days ago, I noticed that my horn stopped working. Not a big deal, my finger is louder, but then yesterday the bike started having trouble turning over.

I pulled the battery this morning (stock Yuasa) and it has absolutely no fluid in it. This could totally be my fault. Its a 2015, but I bought it new off a showroom floor, and I have been riding it for a year without checking the battery - be kind, I'm teaching myself all this as I go!

So... I can go out today and buy a Yuasa YTX14L-BS AGM-type replacement battery for $106 from a local shop - but, I'm wondering if I need to first figure out if theres some electrical problem, like a short or something? Could my dead horn be a sign that there's an electrical problem that could have caused the fluid to rapidly deplete?

Would it be stupid to put the new AGM battery in and ride it and fix the horn later? I don't have a car/truck right now and I use the bike to get to work. P.S. All the other electricals work fine.

Thanks guys!

US Navy (99-03). Novice, self-taught mechanic. 2003 Savage with 44k miles. 2015 S-40 with 5k miles.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: No fluid in battery - could be a short?
Reply #1 - 08/26/18 at 11:07:01

No problem, the bike is designed to overcharge.
The rectifier doesn't adjust voltage to suit the condition of the battery.
get a voltmeter and measure the voltage after a ride before you shut it off.
Mine charges up to 13.3vdc, higher would be good for a Li ion battery.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 08/26/18 at 12:02:51

Get your new battery in before speculating on any other problems,...
If that fixes it, (and it probably will)... yer' good to go!... Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #3 - 08/26/18 at 12:46:33

Thanks, fellas!

Turns out the guy at my local parts shop was wrong about fitment for that Yuasa YTX14L-BS. I went there with my old battery and did a side-by-side, and the one he pulled was smaller, so I ordered a Big Crank ETXL15 per the recommendations on the forum - it's half the price of the other one anyways.

So, Verslagen, when you say "no problem" - does that mean that I can still keep using my stock battery that was bone dry, or am I misunderstanding you? I did go out and buy some distilled water just-in-case, and if I could use the old one for a pinch - until the Big Crank AGM gets here, then that would be very helpful - but I don't want to cause any unintentional explosions (occasional backfires withstanding).

I will do the post-ride voltage check, thanks.

When I checked yesterday, it was 12.69V with ignition key off, 12.49 with key in on position, and then as the bike was starting the meter showed a lot of crazy numbers, but I did see 7V flash up there for a bit and I think it went lower. When I throttled, I saw numbers in the 13.5-14 range.

Thanks again, sirs!

US Navy (99-03). Novice, self-taught mechanic. 2003 Savage with 44k miles. 2015 S-40 with 5k miles.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/26/18 at 14:26:02

it's possible that you can fill up the battery and it'll work just fine for a while.  but you definitely hurt it.

no problem as in that's the way the bike is designed... to over charge.
it's for those that don't go far.

WWW   IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #5 - 08/26/18 at 16:15:29

I wouldn't use the battery even if it charges up as it will probably appear to be fine and then suddenly die, at a time that is bound to be the most annoying. The S40 is battery is such a PITA to check that it should have an AGM installed as stock, especially these days when they aren't that more expensive anyway.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 08/26/18 at 17:31:24

If you left the old battery in the bike over winter ,the outside case could be cracked ( from freezing ) ,I would test it,  before wasting time and money to recharge it.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 08/26/18 at 20:17:07

You will be happy with the Big Crank. Quality product.

You may have to trim or flatten the end of the cable ends to lay on the battery termilal posts. Common with those AGM style batteries, so expect it and don’t think you got the wrong one. You will understand when you see it. Simple.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 16:27:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No fluid in battery - could be a short?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.