Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Turn signals started flashing very slowly (Read 200 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Turn signals started flashing very slowly
Reply #15 - 08/25/18 at 03:57:52

IF you pull the flasher and the lights stay on.....I believe that indicates you have a short somewhere.

The power for the turn signals comes through the flasher relay and the circuit is open - until you move a switch that makes the circuit complete to the turn signals on one side of the bike (or both when you use the emergency flasher switch on the 2004 and later bikes).  The power for the turn signals comes through the flasher unit and powers the turn signals ON/OFF as the flasher relay works.

Your turn signals lights should not be getting any power if you pull the flasher relay.  Something is providing power to the lights on the other side of the flasher.  I suppose it is possible that one of the front running lamp/turn signal bulbs has burned out a filament and is backfeeding some power to the turn signal circuit....check to make sure both front running lamps are working.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1294779818

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
TTom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charlottesville, Va.
Reply #16 - 08/25/18 at 05:47:21

eau de sauvage wrote on 08/25/18 at 03:41:46:
13 Replies and no one has mentioned the blinker fluid yet!

I bought some, but have yet to locate the reservoir for it  Angry

IP Logged
TTom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charlottesville, Va.
Reply #17 - 08/25/18 at 06:10:22

Dave wrote on 08/25/18 at 03:57:52:
IF you pull the flasher and the lights stay on.....I believe that indicates you have a short somewhere.

The power for the turn signals comes through the flasher relay and the circuit is open - until you move a switch that makes the circuit complete to the turn signals on one side of the bike (or both when you use the emergency flasher switch on the 2004 and later bikes).  The power for the turn signals comes through the flasher unit and powers the turn signals ON/OFF as the flasher relay works.

Your turn signals lights should not be getting any power if you pull the flasher relay.  Something is providing power to the lights on the other side of the flasher.  I suppose it is possible that one of the front running lamp/turn signal bulbs has burned out a filament and is backfeeding some power to the turn signal circuit....check to make sure both front running lamps are working.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1294779818

Dave,
I just checked this morning and the running lights are on and steady.  Headlight working as it should.

Oddly enough, the problem went away this morning (everything flashing steadily as they should and no hesitation to start).  I didn't turn over the bike, just turned the ignition on.  

I first noticed the slow to start blinkers when I was on a 2 hour round trip this past Thursday.  Odd they should be flashing normally after the bike's been sitting for over a day.  

I'll keep an eye on things and report back.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #18 - 08/25/18 at 16:04:33

Just guessing , but problems like these that  appear /disappear generally stem from loose/dirty connectors , I'd be rechecking the large one again (that you had trouble with before) and using  wire ties to be sure it stays together.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
TTom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charlottesville, Va.
Reply #19 - 08/26/18 at 07:17:30

I agree, going to pull the connector and do some cleaning and hopefully that'll be that.

IP Logged
TTom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Charlottesville, Va.
Reply #20 - 08/29/18 at 16:03:40

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 08/24/18 at 09:17:39:
I have a version of this unit on all three of my bikes. Works with LED and incandescent bulbs. If this doesn't look like an exact fit, look at the other units (second link). For less than $10 you'll fix the existing condition, and will be future-ready for an LED upgrade.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-load-resistors/electronic-l...

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/flashers-load-resistors/?view=standard

Gary,

Thanks just got my new switch installed from superbrights and so far it seems to have done the trick.  I’ll keep my eyes on it though.  I’m surprised though that mine wore out so fast.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in to help me diagnose this!  

Best,
Trevor

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:36:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Turn signals started flashing very slowly

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.