Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rust removal on forks. (Read 58 times)
Zonablazer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rust removal on forks.
08/23/18 at 04:28:24

Hey everyone! I'm in the process of replacing my fork seals. When I got to the seal removal I realized that the retaining clips were heavily rusted. As such there is quite a bit of build up in the clip grooves inside the forks. Any recommendations on the best way to remove the rust from the grooves without damaging anything in the seal area? I've got some loctite naval gel, would that be ok to use if I only placed it in the clip grooves?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Rust removal on forks.
Reply #1 - 08/23/18 at 05:53:03

You might try aluminum foil and vinegar.  It removes rust from chrome very well.  Just dip the aluminum foil in the vinegar and lightly rub.

I would read the Naval Jelly label and see if there is any caution about using the product on aluminum.  Some of these products etch aluminum pretty quickly....even something as seemingly harmless as Simple Green or Purple Power can etch aluminum.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Rust removal on forks.
Reply #2 - 08/23/18 at 08:59:23

If you can find it, try Krud Kutter - The Must for Rust.  Water based. I used it on many places on my bike and it removed rust while not hurting anything else, even paint. I drip it on or brush it on with an old toothbrush, let it sit for a bit and come back with the brush to help get the debris out and then rinse with water.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 12:26:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rust removal on forks.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.