Send Topic Print
Won't start (Read 99 times)
Patricktwilson86
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Won't start
08/22/18 at 15:55:19

I ran my 97 Suzuki Savage out of oil. I filled it back up with oil and it will turn over but not start. I then sprayed starter fluid in and got it started but it would not stay running unless I stayed on the throttle. Now it still turns over but will not start back up. Is the motor done for or could there be another problem.

IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Re: Won't start
Reply #1 - 08/22/18 at 17:34:18

The systems on these bikes are fairly simple. Dad used to say that if it won't start it either isn't getting fuel, doesn't have spark' or they aren't getting there at the same time. I'll add a lack of compression to the list. With what you've said I would try it with fuel set to prime. Then check for spark, suspect it's fine but easy to check. After that I would look at compression and valve timing. Also, did it get noisy and you shut it down? Or did it quit running?

I'm sure someone with more experience with these bikes will chime in shortly.

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/22/18 at 19:44:09

I would clean the carb

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/22/18 at 19:56:11

No start issues run batteries low.
Check, charge,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 08/22/18 at 20:03:04

If you refilled the oil,( I would do a complete change including filter) and the bike turns over ,then it's not seized . That's not to say you didn't to some damage .I agree with what  Versy said, it would be good to clean the carb, and if you have a stock petcock you should test it,   Be aware that if the battery is weak  or not fully charged -when the starter is turning over the voltage could drop below 10 volts and you'll have no spark. If the bike doesn't start in the first 5- 10 seconds it's not going to , Let the starter rest 10-15 min to allow it to cool or it could be ruined.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 08/23/18 at 09:15:57

Patricktwilson86 wrote on 08/22/18 at 15:55:19:
I ran my 97 Suzuki Savage out of oil. I filled it back up with oil and it will turn over but not start.

Tell me more about this.

Were you riding the bike and it stopped running......or was the bike running fine and you shut it off and then later checked the oil and found out it didn't have any?

Were you cruising down the interstate at 75mph when it stopped running?

« Last Edit: 08/23/18 at 10:57:44 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/23/18 at 09:27:40

I'm with Dave and GOF.  Focus on the type of damages possibly sustained by running out of oil and why it was out of oil.  Running out of oil would have no effect on the battery or carb so don't waste your time on those systems.  You were able to get the bike running so you have spark and fuel.  

Unfortunately, starting and keeping a motor running with low compression is very difficult.  I'm pretty sure you're going to need to look at the top end as it's probably cooked.  Also, depending on how long it was out of oil you may have toasted some bearings in the lower end.

IP Logged
Patricktwilson86
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/27/18 at 16:10:09

I was riding down the highway at 80 mph when it cut off
The bike would not start back up. I flushed the motor filled the oil back up changed the spark plug and charged the battery. Now it will only start when I spray starter fluid in it but doesn't stay running long

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 08/28/18 at 14:34:52

You need to be more clear! What does "flushed the motor" mean? does it mean you drained out the old oil and re filled? or Was the motor truly run dry of oil and you flushed it and refilled it?
        If the bike did not run dry of oil, and the bike starts ( spark ,compression and starting fluid) then I'm guessing you have a bad stock petcock with a bad diaphragm inside. They tend to fail at high speeds and could easily pour extra fuel down the vacuum line causing the bike to flood and stall after starting in which case you simply need a Raptor/ new stock,  petcock.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #9 - 08/29/18 at 16:49:52

You've been starting it with starting fluid so I guess no worries about damaging the beast by turning it over.  Like 80 mph with no oil....that's harsh.  Just do a compression check.  That should answer your questions about internal damage/wear.  I wouldn't worry too much about pampering the thing at this point.  Going that fast with no oil and then having it die at speed is a pretty good indication that you hurt it.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:34:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Won't start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.