stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
be nice
08/22/18 at 10:59:13

I live in a small-ish town for all intents. There is a small family owned gas station that sells non-ethanol fuel that I use when I can to fuel my bikes and fill my yard cans.  The owner rides bikes as well and he and I chat when I stop by. He has a son that is maybe 25 years old that is in a wheelchair that works at the station too. Not sure, but his condition seems congenital and affects his arms a little too but he wheels himself around pretty well.  I see him at Church occasionally too.

Anyhow, running errands today at lunch I saw this guy in a wheelchair struggling a bit, sorta wheeling with one hand and trying to hold a bag in his mouth and stuff in his lap. I got closer and realized it was the guy I knew from the service station wheeling himself from the pharmacy back to work, about 1/2 mile away (down the sidewalk) with a decent hill to climb on the way.  Stopped the truck and parked in the next available spot, walked back and helped wheel him the rest of the way to work. Said hi to the dad (he just knows me by face) and went on my way. He was very appreciative.  I suspect his son wanted to go on his own as the dad is all all around great guy and would never let him 'struggle' if he needed a ride versus wheeling himself.  It was a relatively warm day today and I thought a quicker 'ride' to the shade of the service station would be nice  Smiley

Sometimes it is just good for the soul to slow down a bit in the midst of your own hustle and bustle of everyday life and be nice to someone.

« Last Edit: 08/22/18 at 12:46:29 by stewmills »  

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: be nice
Reply #1 - 08/22/18 at 12:09:35

Nice...  Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: be nice
Reply #2 - 08/22/18 at 21:46:31

It doesn't cost to pay it forward , or to be nice to people who need a bit of help . It always amazes me, the smiles and thanks you get when your in your motorcycle duds and you simply hold a door open for an elderly person, or a mother /grandma with a child in one arm pushing a stroller with the other , or offer to load something heavy into a handicapped person's car in a store parking lot . I think actions of this nature go a long ways toward making  people think about  motorcycle riders  not being bad asses ,just normal people like themselves.( changing their opinions may make the roads a safer place for all of us)
Nice move STEW!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 04:25:32

General CategoryThe Cafe › be nice

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.