Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Faster to do entire engine swap? (Read 184 times)
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Faster to do entire engine swap?
08/17/18 at 05:28:43

Lets say I burn an engine about once a year, isn't it going to be faster to replace the engine in its entirety than to do a rotating rebuild on 3 or 4 of them?  This is assuming I can purchase whole engines to begin with.

The shop can cycle rebuilds as the pistons and such are damaged but from a time-man hours perspective I feel it might be easier to just get a new engine and toss it in the frame, however there may be components I am not thinking of.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Faster to do entire engine swap?
Reply #1 - 08/17/18 at 07:35:54

Of course it's faster, then you'll have a spare to rebuild for the next.

But for you, who's going to pay either way, does it matter?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/17/18 at 08:31:50

Lets say I burn an engine about once a year..
Which nobody has ever done.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 08/17/18 at 10:34:47

Faster to just buy another running bike. but if your looking for just a motor you'll need to buy bikes 1995 and up ,as their are many differences ( mostly rotor and /ignition module/timing) between the 86-87 bikes and the reintroduced 95 to present .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 08/17/18 at 11:58:49

If you start with an engine in good shape, use a good oil, keep it tuned.....I have no idea how you can burn through an engine each year.

When I built my cafe" engine I put in a bigger cam, Wiseco piston, ported head, Mikuni round slide carb, big foam air cleaner and better muffler.  Later I added a light flywheel when Armen started machining them.  Once I got it going I was happy with the results and I don't find a need for doing any additional modifications...it is smooth and relatively strong for what it is.

I didn't know how reliable the motor would be - so when I saw a chance to buy a complete 2006 motor with only a couple thousand miles on it for $600.....I bought it as a spare.  I built a stand for it, put in some fogging oil, and rotated the engine so both valves are closed, and now sits in the corner waiting for a day when it will be put into service.

My modified engine has 10,000 miles on it and it is still going strong.  When the Savage engine is taken care of it is capable of going more than 100,000 miles if you don't let the cam chain tensioner screw things up. And maybe if you were the type to go ride 80mph on the interstate on a continual basis it may reduce the life of the engine.  Abused engines run low on oil, low idle speed or on the wrong oil can be screwed up in only a few thousand miles - with proper maintenance I think it would be hard to ride the bike long or hard enough to go through an engine every 10 years!

If you have the money and a place to put a spare engine.......go ahead and buy one and have it ready just in case you need it.  Make sure the wiring for the two engines is compatible years so the wiring connectors are the same - and an engine swap can be done in a day.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/17/18 at 12:15:25

I've burned up two 1995s this season and the shop can set up to rebuild but I wanted to have full replacements looked into.  The only bike left running is still doing a tire size test from last year so I'd like to get another up and going.

It seems to me I could just have a new one put on a frame in a day while a rebuild would take more than that, I just don't know for sure how long and if ordering all the parts separately is worth the hassle.  If I can just have the crew install an engine and move on to other projects I'd rather go that way, unless there's some reason I am overlooking regarding putting in a new engine on the same frame each year.

IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #6 - 08/17/18 at 12:20:03

What are you doing to these engines?

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 08/17/18 at 13:18:03

If you're into saving labor, just buy another used bike.

WWW   IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/17/18 at 14:16:17

I could scrap entire bikes and search for only 1995's but there aren't that many around unless I want to start shipping them in from out of state.  

"What are you doing to these engines?"

One is running some modified pulleys at different RPMs at length, one I never bothered to put oil in.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 08/17/18 at 15:25:29

I've been following your posts. You don't do anything without analyzing the results.
What are you learning?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/17/18 at 16:29:49

"I've been following your posts. You don't do anything without analyzing the results.
What are you learning?
"

So far a 150/90 tire will not cause pulley squeal or damage parts but I have one more tire to wear out.

The RPM's aren't conclusive as there's only 17,000 on the first pulley, we want to run 50k on each type.

Correction, 25k of each type, 50k total.

« Last Edit: 08/17/18 at 20:26:57 by Eegore »  
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/20/18 at 05:49:50

So the local dealer won't or can't purchase engines for me.  I was hoping to get four 2019 engines sent out but they can't just order engines from what I have been told.

So does anyone have any suggestions?  Do I just have someone eyeball eBay for a while?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 08/20/18 at 18:32:31

Harley -Davidson  has sellers of after market engines readily available.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 08/20/18 at 19:24:42

Go up the food chain.
Contact the importer.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 08/21/18 at 05:40:36

Alright I will have it looked into, thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 14:33:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Faster to do entire engine swap?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.