Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clean/replace fuel screen? (Read 131 times)
crazymactech
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Clean/replace fuel screen?
08/12/18 at 17:10:04

My 2011 has had a few instances of shutting off or real low idle and sounding like it wants to die.  I suspect it has to do with not enough fuel delivery based on how tonight when it was acting like it wanted to die it did not have it's familiar "POOF" from the exhaust when shutting it down after riding.

I'm wondering if the fuel screen in the petcock is slightly clogged.  My clymers manual does not mention anything about disassembly etc of the petcock.  Does anyone have instructions on taking the petcock apart, inspecting, and reassembling it?  I have a stock petcock.

Most of the time the bike performs great.  It's just once in awhile lately that it has acted up.

IP Logged
eskimo619
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Clean/replace fuel screen?
Reply #1 - 08/12/18 at 17:17:47

I just picked up a 2011 model myself a week ago.  Already ordered a raptor petcock to avoid any of the common petcock issues.  One way to check the flow is connect a fuel line to the petcock and run it into a container and switch it to prime so it flows freely.  Youll be able to tell if it has any flow issues.  Mine also dies the "poof" upon shutting down and never knew if it was normal or not.  Ive been spending time tuning the carb as these run quite lean from the factory especially at sea level where I am.  I got the bike for an absolute steal so will most likely be selling it for a quick profit once I get it dialed in.

IP Logged
crazymactech
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/12/18 at 18:00:49

Great minds think alike! I also got my 2011 for a steal last March.  Only 3,000 miles for $1,800.  Nothing wrong with it at all.  I've ordered the raptor petcock and will give that a shot.eskimo619 wrote on 08/12/18 at 17:17:47:
I just picked up a 2011 model myself a week ago.  Already ordered a raptor petcock to avoid any of the common petcock issues.  One way to check the flow is connect a fuel line to the petcock and run it into a container and switch it to prime so it flows freely.  Youll be able to tell if it has any flow issues.  Mine also dies the "poof" upon shutting down and never knew if it was normal or not.  Ive been spending time tuning the carb as these run quite lean from the factory especially at sea level where I am.  I got the bike for an absolute steal so will most likely be selling it for a quick profit once I get it dialed in.

IP Logged
eskimo619
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/12/18 at 18:05:16

I got mine for $600!  Haha.  Only has a dent in the right side of the tank and a few small scratches on the pipe.  Otherwise excellent overall shape with 8500 miles.  Surprisingly fun to ride due to how light it is.  Bought it to flip but wont mind riding it if it doesnt sell.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 08/12/18 at 20:00:53

well... you guys maybe a bit mistaken 1) placing the petcock in prime bypasses the normal flow path of the petcock ,unless the screen on the petcock in the tank is plugged it will always give good flow ,it is not a proper test.(check the Tech Section)    2) If the bike doesn't poof at shutdown it's not because your feeding less fuel,  but because it's getting more fuel, you may have a bad diaphragm in the stock petcock that is passing fuel down the vacuum line, when the motor is running.  I'd get a Raptor petcock .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
eskimo619
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/13/18 at 03:21:04

You are correct, however its a quick easy way to check that its not completely bad.  I tested mine different when I thought it was bad.  Pulled the vaccuum lines off the carb and petcock and capped them, then ran on prime so it acted like a standard on/off petcock.  Found a thread on here about it.  Mine still flowed okay but I did order the raptor petcock anyway.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 08/13/18 at 04:28:02

Poor fuel flow will show up at cruising speeds on the highway - they are less likely to show up at idle where very low fuel flow is required.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 08/13/18 at 18:30:27

Plugging the carb vacuum port  and the vacuum line and running it on pri. is what you do in the middle of nowhere when the petcock IS bad. it's not any kind of test, it's a cheat to get your butt home.

IP Logged
eskimo619
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/14/18 at 03:12:11

Let me clear up what I did so theres no confusion.  I did that test because I thought my petcock was bad.  Bike was breaking up and I figured poor fuel flow.  Found a long detailed thread on here about how to help diagnose a bad petcock.  It didnt change how my bike ran so I know the issue wasnt related to the petcock.  However I ordered the raptor petcock anyway just for peace of mind.  Should be installing this evening.

IP Logged
Ossk8r
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/14/18 at 05:26:38

Where did you order your petcock from?

IP Logged
eskimo619
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/14/18 at 07:19:11

Ossk8r wrote on 08/14/18 at 05:26:38:

Ordered mine from ebay, they have many available from various sellers both oem and cheaper knockoffs.  The cheap ones have been shown to work fine however some swear by oem.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 08/14/18 at 07:51:38

The cheaper ones (from china) have smaller inlet and outlet , and will not deliver enough fuel at higher speeds . that is why we recommend  the Yamaha Raptor ,they are less than $30.00 ( half the price of a stock petcock from Suzuki-that will still fail over time).

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 08/14/18 at 08:51:44

eskimo619 wrote on 08/14/18 at 07:19:11:
Ossk8r wrote on 08/14/18 at 05:26:38:

Ordered mine from ebay, they have many available from various sellers both oem and cheaper knockoffs.  The cheap ones have been shown to work fine however some swear by oem.

most have 1/4" or smaller outlets... fine if you like to idle around town.
If you look closely, you can find the larger 5/16" line that we need for max grin.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 08/16/18 at 10:17:44

a 5/16 petcock will flow 33% more fuel than a 1/4 inch petcock.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 08/16/18 at 10:46:36

batman wrote on 08/16/18 at 10:17:44:
a 5/16 petcock will flow 33% more fuel than a 1/4 inch petcock.

Yeah baby!

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 12:22:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clean/replace fuel screen?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.