Send Topic Print
Cruise (Read 138 times)
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Cruise
08/12/18 at 13:52:59

Has anyone fitting a cruise control/throttle lock on their Savage? If so what kind and how do you like it?

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Cruise
Reply #1 - 08/12/18 at 15:26:58

Cruise control's worth ,I feel, is dependent on how and where you ride. If you live in an area of rather flat terrain and ride highway speed often ,they would be worthwhile . If you live in hilly terrain and twisty roads they can be nearly worthless.
     Being my travels include both the above types of riding, my thought was that the problem for me,  was not so much to hold the bike at a certain speed, but to reduce the stress on my wrist caused by fighting the throttle return spring,   any time I ride.
      Thinking in that vein , I reduced the spring tension by cutting off one turn at the end closest to the carb body.(this may not be for everyone) .The result is very light pressure needed to open or close the throttle, releasing your grip doesn't let the throttle snap shut ,there is a second or two delay before it closes fully, but I feel no strain on my wrist at any time, or for any length of ride, and I like the feeling of always having control over the throttle.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #2 - 08/12/18 at 18:15:19

GOF is short for 'Grumpy Old Fart'. Lots of miles on my old bones. While opening and closing the throttle isn't too bad, long periods at cruising speeds is a pain in my arm. I've been doing mixed riding. Some highway, some surface roads, some back country fun roads. My butt is getting back in riding shape. But like I said, those long steady throttle runs can be a pain. Figured I'd give the cruise idea a shot.

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 08/12/18 at 19:32:05

GOF ,I'm hardly a spring chicken myself (70) ,and I've got nothing against a cruise control ,Vista Cruse,  has been around a long time, and it's adjustable ,so that even if it's on,  the throttle can be turned which works good if you encounter some hills or need to stop suddenly.

IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #4 - 08/12/18 at 20:07:26

I have always used the little plastic paddle that is held to the grip . It' called the Throttle Rocker. It cost about $10.00 and can be used on any bike. Works for me.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 08/13/18 at 04:31:30

Same as Hotrod.....I use a Cramp Buster.  It just slips on the grip and you don't need to squeeze the grip hard.....the plastic paddle rests against the heel of your hand.

Just be sure you get a size that fits your handgrip.

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Throttle-Rocker-Aztec-Cargo/dp/B00D46P06G/ref...

https://www.amazon.com/Crampbuster-CB4-Throttle-Mounted-Motorcycle/dp/B001L9K...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
elricfate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/13/18 at 05:35:19

I have the same type. Fits over my foam overgrips without issue.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 08/13/18 at 14:41:00

I made this little doohicky from some heavy wire and vacuum tubing...
It works...
You can buy pre-made plastic ones for $15 or $20... under the name "Go Cruise" or "Photon Motorcycle Cruise"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YU1kxUU8eo

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 08/13/18 at 15:52:59

I tried a cramp buster and found that when you release the throttle it just got in the way . Serowbot's wire ,or the vista cruse type at least have  the advantage of being inboard on the grip and thus out of the way.  I went to the source , that being that the throttle return spring is just to strong. what I did has several advantages, it works 100% of the time, has no parts to fail , never needs adjustment , doesn't clutter up the bars,  and costs nothing .To each his own.

« Last Edit: 08/13/18 at 22:49:00 by batman »  

IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #9 - 08/14/18 at 13:03:52

Thanks to everyone for the input. I've been looking at everything you have suggested. I think I am going to try one of the cheapo go cruise type stops. This will allow me to try something that holds the throttle while releasing the grip for a moment to flex my hand. If I find it helpful, which I suspect it will be, I can get something a bit more sophisticated. If I don't like it I won't be out a whole bunch. And when I am done with it I can pass it along to someone else.

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 08/14/18 at 22:00:19

My left hand reaches the gas.
I haven't messed with the spring, but I can hold it with nothing but the friction between glove and grip. Open hand, no thumb touching.
Worked on the 2005 too.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 08/14/18 at 23:25:06

My RIGHT hand reaches the gas.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 08/15/18 at 02:59:06

If I need to get the right hand off for a while, I can ride with my left hand.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 14:27:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cruise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.