Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another Fuel / Air Screw Question (Read 54 times)
Banzai310
YaBB Newbies

Gilbert AZ
Another Fuel / Air Screw Question
08/11/18 at 14:50:39

I finally got around to pulling the carb to install Lancer’s jetset. I’ve seen several guys with posts about the fuel / air mixture screw stripping, so I decided to replace that also with a finger tightening screw that JLC sent since the carb was off of the bike. I was able to back out the fuel / air screw about 80% out and then it just stopped. Further attempts to loosen it just caused stripping of the screw, even after soaking in PB Blaster. There is a brass nub on the side of the fuel / air screw housing. Do I need to do something with this to get the screw the rest of the way out? Wish I never attempted to swap the screws because it was working fine before, but too late now. This is an ‘01 Savage with a stock carb. Trying to decide whether to drill out the screw since I think I boogered up the head too much to tighten it back in. Any help is appreciated!

D03F2FAF-6D77-4F49-9669-4EC887D6BB97.jpeg

2001 Savage / Raptor / Dyna / Verslavy Mod
  IP Logged
Banzai310
YaBB Newbies

Gilbert AZ
Re: Another Fuel / Air Screw Question
Reply #1 - 08/11/18 at 14:52:08

And here is another view to give an idea of the area I’m talking about.

C50C8EB4-E784-4217-85B0-927FD9DA68F0.jpeg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 08/12/18 at 03:32:52

The problem is that the threads in the carb body got corroded - the brass screw just doesn't want to go past the corroded area....and unfortunately the tiny slot and soft brass doesn't allow the use of much force.

I have had to drill the brass and use an extractor.......then clean up the corrosion on the threads with a tap before using a new screw.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Banzai310
YaBB Newbies

Gilbert AZ
Reply #3 - 08/12/18 at 19:59:54

Thanks, Dave! I was waiting for a definitive answer before continuing so I didn’t mess it up more. I saw your response and started drilling it out this afternoon. The drilling went fine, but I was unable to remove the screw with the extractor. It just wouldn’t catch. So I fell back on plan B which I found on a post in the tech section. I lightly hammered in a t8 torx bit, and then just used the bit to extract the screw. Worked like a charm. No need to re-tap. Below is a pic of the old extracted screw, as well as the newly installed finger adjustable mixture screw. Now on to the carb tuning with the new jets. Thanks again for the words of wisdom!

79AC0AEB-7EBB-4072-82B2-6AFE458F98A1.jpeg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 08/13/18 at 04:34:59

If you install the new screw and find it starts to go in tight.......the threads are corroded and it would be wise to run a tap through to clean up the threads.  I have almost stripped the slot on new air mix screws trying to get them to thread past the corroded parts.....then I bought a tap!

It is a 6 x 0.5 thread.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/01/24 at 03:48:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another Fuel / Air Screw Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.