Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Another carb/washer mod thread.  2011 Suzuki s40. (Read 480 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Another carb/washer mod thread.  2011 Suzuki s
Reply #15 - 08/14/18 at 23:41:25

If you still don't feel that the bike is running it's best at mid range rpm(normal highway speeds) then I would change the two brass washers for two steel washers , that would raise the needle two "tads".( slightly )higher.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
eskimo619
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 08/15/18 at 03:15:22

I like what you did there haha.  Ill try 2 steels as well as a larger main and see how it does.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #17 - 08/15/18 at 07:26:12

eskimo619 wrote on 08/15/18 at 03:15:22:
I like what you did there haha.  Ill try 2 steels as well as a larger main and see how it does.

Do the washers first, and test ride, before doing the main. The jets are cumulative - they affect each other - pilot, needle, main. I found that adjustments to the needle made much more difference than changing the main jet.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
eskimo619
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 08/15/18 at 07:29:43

Alright, ill try 2 steel washers and see how it runs and will adjust air/fuel screw if needed.  Its not that far off so hopefully this does it.  If not ill grab a larger main and go from there.  Havnt had much time to spend in the garage with work this week so far but might have some time to tinker with it this evening.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #19 - 08/15/18 at 09:57:19

eskimo619 wrote on 08/15/18 at 07:29:43:
Alright, ill try 2 steel washers and see how it runs and will adjust air/fuel screw if needed.  Its not that far off so hopefully this does it.  If not ill grab a larger main and go from there.  Havnt had much time to spend in the garage with work this week so far but might have some time to tinker with it this evening.

Keep in mind that the main jet primarily affects the 3/4-full throttle range.

IP Logged
eskimo619
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 08/15/18 at 10:11:30

I was originally having issues in the 3/4-wot range as it was breaking up almost similar symptoms to a coil issue.  After I did the initial grinding of the white space that issue was solved, for the most part anyway.  Bike starts up fine no choke.  I may also just need to let it warm up more before riding.  It just has that little bit of hesitation through the lower throttle positions but its much better than when I first got it.  Ill see how it responds to 2 steel washers.  Hopefully thats all it needs to smooth out and I can stop messing with it.  If I keep it long enough I may throw a pipe and filter on and rejet but for now just want it reliable.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 08/15/18 at 11:48:17

may also just need to let it warm up more before riding.  It just has that little

I start up, drop in gear, go.
If you're not able to ride it on a nice day right after it's fired up, sumpin ain't right.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #22 - 08/15/18 at 14:51:51

Hello, great topic!
I ride from between  1822 - 2209 feet above sea level elevation most always on my rides. I have a Jardine turn out pipe, Raptor petcock.
I run a Lancer JetSet 155 main, 55 pilot, 2 steel washers instead of the white plastic spacer, and my pilot mixture screw out 2.75 turn. Float level to spec as per Clymer book. Runs like a RAPED APE, throughout the entire rpm range. I was in  email communication with Lancer, and that is what he suggested to start with. Spot ON! OF COARSE the mixture screw adjustment will vary, but as far as the jet sizes to start with LANCER KNOWS HIS STUFF. Bite the bullet and purchase a jet kit from him!

Mike

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
eskimo619
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 08/15/18 at 15:50:21

Carb talk is always fun haha.  Id buy the jetkit from Lancer but I dont have any plans to add a pipe or filter.  Just want it to run better and not so lean like they come from the factory.  Im swapping in 2 steel washers this evening and will see how it rides.  I got such a good deal on it ill most likely sell it for a quick profit but if it doesnt sell then I may consider a pipe down the road lol.  I have a 1992 Honda shadow 1100 I ride when I want a little more power and sound.  But the s40 is so light and nimble its a completely different ride.

Edit:  Installed 2 steel washers in place of the brass washers.  Bike started fine no choke.  Let it idle for about a minute.  Initial take off had some hesitation in the lower throttle positions.  Once fully warmed up it  smoothed out and pulled hard all the way up to 80mph, as indicated on the speedometer.  Think I can live with how it is.  Definetly much better than it was when I bought it.  Now to see if it sells or if Im keeping it.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #24 - 08/15/18 at 17:37:37

The difference between  Islandroad and your jetting has to due with his more open muffler and the fact that at his elevation starts at sea level , both these require richer jetting. Lancer know carbs better than any of us ,but I think he would agree( I assume) that the suggested jetting put forth by all of us is  "ballpark " and will allow your bike to run, but each bike is different and may require small changes to reach their best performance. Making one change at a time allows you to test and if there is a negative result ,you can reverse the procedure .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
eskimo619
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 08/17/18 at 17:31:15

So I havnt really been able to ride the bike much due to it not being registered but I did ride it a few miles today in the backroads near where I live and the bike is running well.  Pretty smooth through throughout the rev range and rides good at wot cruising 80mph as indicated by the speedometer.  Dont think ill mess with it anymore.  Now to see if it sells or if ill be keeping it for a while longer.

IP Logged
eskimo619
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 09/03/18 at 18:37:41

So I the bike sold today.  Didnt even have it a month.  Bought it for $600, spent a little tuning it up and sold it for $1400.  Im sure I could have waited and made a little more but the dent in the tank would have held me back a little.  Still a quick almost $800 profit.  Was fun for the few miles I had it.  Will definetly have another sometime, maybe one ill keep and modify.  I appreciate all the help and im sure ill pop in here every now and then.

IP Logged
eskimo619
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 09/20/18 at 16:32:28

So I still own the bike.  It was sold but heres the story.  I tell the guy im still waiting for the title to arrive in the mail.  He says thats fine and he agreed to pay $1100 up front and remaining $300 when title comes in.  He pays me $1100, we fill out a bill of sale.  He rides the bike home probably a 40 minute ride or so.  Next morning he texts me saying bike has a bad valve.  Im like no way and ask what happened.  He says nothing happened and it rode to his house perfectly.  Im like okay so no way it has a bad valve.  He tells me his father who is a bike mechanic listened to it and heard a backfire and said it has a bad valve.  I had already told him the quirks with these bikes and their lean condition and people that try to tune out the "sneezing" from the exhaust.  I tell him again and he says okay.  Few hours later asks to return it.  Im like fine didnt even want to make it a big deal, he says he will give me $100 for my troubles and will return bike back that next evening, so basically 24 hours from when he bought it.

I ask if hes riding it or putting it in a truck and he says ride it.  Im thinking well it apparantly has a bad valve so why would he ride it?  I knew it was fine so let him do what he wanted.  He makes it to my house and bike sounds as good as it did when it left.  I ask how it rode he says great.  I tell him bike has zero issues.  He then tells me he still wants to buy it back when the title comes in.  Makes no sense lol.  He also proceeds to tell me he took his girlfriend for a ride on it for about 2 hours that day.  Im thinking well thats messed up considering that morning it had a bad valve lol.  All in all he rode the bike about 180 miles before returning it to me.  He also used my helmet to be able to ride the bike home and still hasnt returned it.  So yeah I still own the bike and its still for sale.  I occassionally bomb down my backroads with it but it just sits in the garage on a trickle charger till someone buys it.  Gotta love when this happens.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #28 - 09/20/18 at 17:27:16

There seems to be something missing from this discussion.

What is the exact thickness of any of the washers?, brass or steel?
Without that info what are we talking about? :'(

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
eskimo619
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 09/21/18 at 15:56:12

So I have a question now that the temp is cooling down.  I never need to choke to start the bike however if i use it, it will actually make the bike stall out instead of idling high.  I end up just turning the idle knob up a bit until the bike warms.  Only thing I did to the carb was the washer mod and bike runs great.  But with the cooler temps im noticing the difference in startups.  I know its common for colder temps to affect bikes but want to make sure I have everything adjusted properly so cold starts arent an issue.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 15:36:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another carb/washer mod thread.  2011 Suzuki s40.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.