Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Another carb/washer mod thread.  2011 Suzuki s40. (Read 480 times)
eskimo619
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Another carb/washer mod thread.  2011 Suzuki s40.
08/10/18 at 14:51:42

Hey everyone, just bought a 2011 suzuki boulevard s40/ls650 a week ago and am looking to make it run a bit smoother.  Bike is in great shape and got it for only $600 due to a dent in the tank.  Has 8500 miles.  Already replaced airfilter and spark plug.  Oil change to be done tonight.  Pulled the carb and cleaned it out.  Looked great inside.  Upon test riding it starts alright and idles okay.  Throttle response isnt super crisp but I am used to inline 4 cylinder sportbikes so something to get used to.  Seems a tad sluggish at most throttle positions.  Also it was breaking up at wot but would cruise to top speed at a mid throttle fine.  Pulled the air/fuel screw cap and adjusted to 2 turns out.  Somewhat smoothed out partial throttle but no change to wot.  Also tested the petcock by capping the vac lines and running on prime, no change although I did order a raptor petcock.  After all that I was finally able to break the screws loose on the top of the carb to get to the slide and diaphram etc...  pulled the white spacer out and filed it down a bit. Bike ran better especially wot it didnt break up like it did before.  Adjusted air/fuel screw again.

I picked up some #4 brass washers at home depot and will see if they fit and try 2 of them.  Im pretty much at sea level near capecod Massachusetts so I know my bike is running quite lean, also shown by plug condition.  Does anyone think its worth going with a bigger main, maybe try a 147.5 as the stock size is 145?  Just want to smooth it out a bit.  Just shaving the white spacer down did help a lot.  Not sure its a bike ill keep as I did get a real good deal on it to flip it but want it running proper for a new owner or myself if I do keep it around.  Thanks!

Edit:  just swapped in 2 of the #4 washers, had to sand them down a little smaller od wise but they fit.  Bike runs good wot now pulls hard, still a little hesitation throughout the rev range tho.  Also when Ibstart the bike and have the idle set its good but after a ride and comming to a stop in my driveway the idle is higher and I have to turn it down.  Id like to not have to turn it up on start and down once warm.  Is that more of the air/fuel screw needing tuning?

« Last Edit: 08/12/18 at 16:41:45 by eskimo619 »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Another carb/washer mod thread.  2011 Suzuki s
Reply #1 - 08/10/18 at 15:35:04

I would recommend setting the main jet 1st before modifying the white spacer.

WWW   IP Logged
eskimo619
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/10/18 at 15:38:03

verslagen1 wrote on 08/10/18 at 15:35:04:
I would recommend setting the main jet 1st before modifying the white spacer.

I only did the spacer mod as some lists I found for common mods had the air/fuel screw first then spacer mod so I did both of those.  Didnt want to change the main right away if those 2 could richen it up enough to run smoother.  Its defintely much better.  As mentioned first test ride it was spitting and losing power at wot, now it pulls hard and smooth wot.  Just want to smooth out the low/mid range.

Also just pulled the plug and it didnt come out white after this test ride.  Last ride before I did the spacer mod the plug was white.  I sanded it down and just checked this time and no white, not really any color but not as lean as before.

IP Logged
eskimo619
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/12/18 at 16:46:59

Added a few pictures of my bike.  It wouldnt let me upload the standard way due to the file size.  Also should I post in another category?  Thought id get more hits than this especially on this topic.  Bike does run better so im not super worried.  I did find out my local bike shop carries jets in stock so just have to bring my main and pilot in so they can match them.  Figure ill get a 147.5 and 150 main, and a 55 pilot of they have it and dial it in more.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 08/13/18 at 13:50:29

eskimo619 wrote on 08/10/18 at 14:51:42:
Also when I start the bike and have the idle set its good but after a ride and coming to a stop in my driveway the idle is higher and I have to turn it down.  Id like to not have to turn it up on start and down once warm.  Is that more of the air/fuel screw needing tuning?

The "Technical Section" is mainly for "how to" articles that have been tried and proven.  General Questions about the Savage go in the Rubber Side Down, off topic questions or comments that don't involve a Savage go in the Cafe' section.

Carbs are very primitive and they cannot adapt to changing conditions like fuel injection does (20 times a second).  You should jet the carb so it runs well when the bike is warm - and then you just have to adapt your riding style a bit while the bike warms up.  You may or may not need to use the choke to start the bike - each bike is a bit different and the temperature you ride at also matters.......if you ride at 30 degrees and your bike sits out overnight - a choke might be useful.

Most of us just add a bit of throttle with the right hand until the bike warms up and idles properly.....it should only take a few minutes of riding if the bike is jetted properly.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
eskimo619
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/13/18 at 15:58:51

The main issue I needed to clear up was the breaking up at wot.  Just the washer mod cleared that up, for the most part anyway.  I didnt spend too much time hammering it wide open lol.  Starts up everytime no choke and idles a tad low till warm then it idles fine.  Could be that im just not used to the bike so it seems as tho its not riding fine.  Im just used to inline 4 cylinder bikes that perform very differently.

I figure ill pick up one size larger main and pilot jet and see how it does.  Thought about getting the jetset but already have the washer mod done and wont be adding a pipe or filter so dont need the larger variety of jets.  I got such a good deal on the bike that its going to be a quick flip hopefully and just want it running properly for the new owner.  Or if it doesnt sell then ill ride it.  Raptor petcock arrived today so ill install that soon.  Otherwise the bike is great.  Super clean aside from the dent in the tank but I probably wont even mess with it because its not that bad of an eye sore with the rest of the bike being clean.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 08/13/18 at 22:35:40

Generally speaking ,we've found the 150 main jet to be the best all around jet to use , I've road from sea level to about 3000ft without any seeming difference it the way my bike performed, and I fear that the147.5 may not cut it being your at sea level. I would try the 150 first . Larger jets tend to decrease fuel mileage, I doubt you need the 55 pilot jet,  being you start the bike without using the choke there's not much sense in going to a larger pilot jet. You said you did the spacer mod using two brass washers ,I'm not sure that the brass washers aren't thicker than the number 4 steel washers we recommend using.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #7 - 08/13/18 at 22:56:43

At sea level on the other coast, 52.5/150 works a treat. Exhaust is a nice golden hue, plug a nice brown/grey. Response dead on! cheers! Cool

IP Logged
eskimo619
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/14/18 at 03:38:34

So a 150 main seems like the way to go.  Ill pick one up at my local shop the next day I can make it there after work hopefully before they close.  As far as the washers go the package actually said everbilt #4s brass washers.  They were a tad to larger outside diameter and I was able to file them down to fit.  I originally ground down the white spacer to approx half size but didnt measure.  At that half size 3 brass washers were about the same thickness.  I ran the bike with the modified spacer, and then ran it with 2 washers and didnt notice much change.  Bike ran much better overall both ways.  Does anyone have a link for the steel washers?  Wasnt able to find the steel ones at homedepot.

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #9 - 08/14/18 at 04:15:39

At home depot

C713272E-F87F-466B-B653-68B4C443D376.jpeg
  IP Logged
eskimo619
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/14/18 at 04:43:24

Must have walked right by them lol.  Ill pick some up today after work.  Do these need any modifying to fit?  Start with 3 and see how it goes?

Also anyone have a spare 150 main laying around?  My work schedule usually doesnt allow me to get to any bike shop before they close but im hoping this week for a short day that may allow me to get there before they close.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 08/14/18 at 07:43:13

If you don't find the washers at home depot , try Lowes.

IP Logged
eskimo619
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/14/18 at 14:20:43

I bought these at lowes as they dont carry the everbilt ones.  Guy that helped me said these should be the same.  Second pic compares brass washer I first bought and steel washer bought today.  Brass is a tad thicker than the steel.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 08/14/18 at 15:52:30

which means your running a bit leaner than if used steel.

IP Logged
eskimo619
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 08/14/18 at 16:27:44

So I should be running 3 of the steels correct?

Edit:  looks like 3 steel washers are the same height as 2 brass which is whats currently in the bike now.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 03:24:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another carb/washer mod thread.  2011 Suzuki s40.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.