Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Clutch cam probably broken (Read 416 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Clutch cam probably broken
08/08/18 at 19:18:10

Lost my clutch on the ride home from work.  Thinking it was a busted cable, I nursed it home.
When I got home I did some reading here, some more looking at the bike and discovered it's most likely the clutch cam and probably shouldn't have been running the motor.  Hope all is going to be OK in there  Sad.

Anyway, I think I need parts #23 and #28 in the diagram for the '08 (cam and pin).  
https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2008-suzuki-boulevard-s40-ls650/o/m14754...
Wondering if it's OK to go ahead and order them before cracking open the clutch cover so I can get them on their way.  Or, are there any reports of the spring also breaking?  Guess the best course is to wait until I open her up.  Also, with about 18,500 miles, should I go ahead and order the longer push rod?  VerSlavy CCT done at 10K miles.
And less than 1,000 miles on this oil, too  Angry.

clutch_cam.JPG

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Clutch cam probably broken
Reply #1 - 08/08/18 at 20:37:30

I would crack it open right now, you're not going to ride till it fixed.
Figure out what you need and order it.
It would be a pisser find out it's something else or you need something and have to wait again.

If you're really careful, you can take the cover off and not tear the gasket.

order all 3 pins, they're cheap.  when you put it in, measure, should not stick out more than 12.5 mm.  and when you put the cover on check clutch operation.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 08/08/18 at 20:39:29

Why guess? I'd look first, you may need the side cover gasket, exhaust header gasket as well as other parts ,and why order parts that you may not need to replacement. Sure you may save time, but you might save money on free shipping if the parts are ordered all at once.
  You haven't described what happened or why you think it's those parts that need replacement.

Vercy ,I think he's talking about pin #28(cotter pin?) while your talking about pin #22 of which there are three different lengths.

I'm confused by the fact that I don't know if his clutch is not engaging or not disengaging.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/08/18 at 22:24:34

Tocsik wrote on 08/08/18 at 19:18:10:
 Also, with about 18,500 miles, should I go ahead and order the longer push rod?  

Huh

WWW   IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #4 - 08/09/18 at 02:27:53

should I go ahead and order the longer push rod?

I've always wondered about this, does it come with the middle one as standard or the shortest one as standard? According the range mark on the clutch cover, it's already close to the end of it's range when new!

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 08/09/18 at 06:16:24

The lever is slack and the arm is dropped, clutch won't disengage.
Pulled away from a light and something gave when I pulled the clutch to shift to 2nd and the lever became slack.  I pulled off to check the cable and the end at the lever felt like it was moving independent from the end at the arm on the case, as if the cable was broken somewhere in the middle inside the sheath, which seemed odd.

Never heard of the clutch cam until I got home and did a search here.  Checked the bike again out in the garage and found the arm was not staying in position and my initial check of the cable was flawed because the sheath was moving at the lever when I checked the end at the arm.  Cable is intact.  Spring inside the case actually feels OK.  Will pull it apart tonight if possible or this weekend.
Thanks all.

Versy, your second response specific to the push rod just has an emoji.  Can you expand on that?  Maybe the shorter push rod is needed with wear?  I haven't had time to read up on that yet.  I never pretend to be more knowledgeable than I am and always eager to learn.
Thanks.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 08/09/18 at 06:28:55

The pin marked #28 is just a cotter pin....it is nothing very special.  The #23 cam has a round hole with flat sides.....and that is where the force is applied from the shaft to the cam.

Some members have reported the cam breaking when they installed washers under the springs to make greater force on the clutch to help prevent slippage......I am not sure anyone has broken this piece with the stock springs (yet).....or with the claimed 10% stronger aftermarket spring kits.

Do you have the stock springs in the clutch?

It is reported that this piece is made from sintered metal that is molded into the needed shape......perhaps we need somebody to make a stronger version using real steel!  The only difficult part I see is in making the shaft hole with the flat sides and rounded ends......I guess that requires a proper sized "broach" to make the hole.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 08/09/18 at 07:13:40

verslagen1 wrote on 08/08/18 at 22:24:34:
Tocsik wrote on 08/08/18 at 19:18:10:
 Also, with about 18,500 miles, should I go ahead and order the longer push rod?  

Huh

Quote:
order all 3 pins, they're cheap.  when you put it in, measure, should not stick out more than 12.5 mm.  and when you put the cover on check clutch operation.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 08/09/18 at 10:09:15

I'd  be checking to see if the clutch cable snapped ,before doing anything else. have you ever lubed the cable? If the lever is slack and the arm at the case has dropped the only thing that connects them IS the cable. disconnect the cable at the clutch lever on the bar, and see if you can pull it out , and/or check both ends of the cable to see if the fittings are in place

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 08/09/18 at 10:51:48

Yeah, both ends are intact and when I hold the arm down and operate the lever, the cable pulls it.  Seems like the problem is inside the case.  
I last lubed the cables at 9300 miles but it's been operating smoothly.  When I hold the arm it also seems like it's between the marks.

Oh, and the clutch springs are stock.

« Last Edit: 08/09/18 at 12:55:53 by Tocsik »  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 08/09/18 at 13:30:33

Recommend new oring for the shaft.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 08/09/18 at 19:27:00

Sucker broke clean in half. Both parts sitting nicely in the bottom of the case.

IMG_20180809_2010242.jpg

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #12 - 08/09/18 at 19:27:51

Looks like there aren't any shards missing.

IMG_20180809_2013482.jpg

IP Logged
OCMike_LS650
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/15/18 at 12:20:28

I bought a 01’  with this problem. I replaced the same broken piece.
I’ve taken it apart almost six times now and stilll can’t figure out the problem.
New clutch cable ,still won’t work properly.
When I put everything back the lever sits under the two marks. It does not sit straight at a right angle

I have to note that my bracket where the cable goes through that is part of the crank case is broken.  I will add a picture.

The bike does run though I ran it down the alley and back with no clutch
Plz help I’m about to kms

FC73AA39-16A4-4473-AB21-81C5F3399636.jpeg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 08/15/18 at 12:39:15

OCMike_LS650 wrote on 08/15/18 at 12:20:28:
When I put everything back the lever sits under the two marks. It does not sit straight at a right angle

When you pull up on it with light pressure, where does the lever sit?

Did you install the push rod?

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:26:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch cam probably broken

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.