Send Topic Print
Good idea? (Read 70 times)
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Good idea?
08/06/18 at 10:05:52

Is this a good policy on the part of Apple?
I’ve never listened to a single word he’s spoken or read a sentence he wrote but not sure about this? What do you do with Louis Farrakhan? Or the new columnist for the NYTimes for that matter.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/06/apple-pulls-alex-jones-infowars-podcasts-for-...

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Good idea?
Reply #1 - 08/06/18 at 10:37:14

I think it's a good idea.

To me, the idiot jones falls in the same category as muslim extremists and other terrorist organizations. (pizza-gate, Sandy Hook "actors")

Plus, this is Facebook - a private company.  Their agreement probably states that they can delete content they deem unfit. (the reason I say "probably" is that, like pretty much everyone else, I've never really read through the user agreement...)

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #2 - 08/06/18 at 10:42:57

I would look at it as more of the same of what is happening in certain collage campuses..

One is not allow to hear different POV’s of a subject.
They are allowed only ONE, POV of a subject, which is the same as the people that say,
to the effect, (for the panty in a bunch people)
’This is the Correct POV, and you will listen to no others’.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 08/06/18 at 10:45:05

I guess hate speech is losing it's entertainment value....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/06/18 at 10:56:34

MnSpring wrote on 08/06/18 at 10:42:57:
I would look at it as more of the same of what is happening in certain collage campuses..

One is not allow to hear different POV’s of a subject.
They are allowed only ONE, POV of a subject, which is the same as the people that say,
to the effect, (for the panty in a bunch people)
’This is the Correct POV, and you will listen to no others’.

This is a misnomer mn.

IS A PUBLIC UNIVERSITY A PUBLIC FORUM?
Because public universities receive public funding, they are public forums, and therefore speakers like Spencer and Coulter have the unfettered right to speak. Right? Not quite.

Circuit courts have ruled that college campuses are – unlike, say, a public park or street – “limited public forums,” according to the First Amendment Center. That’s why universities can create rules and restrictions governing such speakers, like when and where they may speak. However, these rules must be applied fairly and have nothing to do with the speakers or their speech content.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #5 - 08/06/18 at 11:45:46

T And T Garage wrote on 08/06/18 at 10:56:34:
"... Circuit courts have ruled that college campuses are – unlike, say, a public park or street – “limited public forums,” according to the First Amendment Center. That’s why universities can create rules and restrictions governing such speakers, like when and where they may speak. However, these rules must be applied fairly and have nothing to do with the speakers or their speech content.

So is that the reason,
A reproduction of a, bloody Severed head of the POTUS.
Is  Allowed.

Because, displaying,  in several poses,
a facsimile of the bloody Severed head of the POTUS.,
is NOT AT ALL.    ‘Hate’ Speech !

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/06/18 at 11:51:29

MnSpring wrote on 08/06/18 at 11:45:46:
T And T Garage wrote on 08/06/18 at 10:56:34:
"... Circuit courts have ruled that college campuses are – unlike, say, a public park or street – “limited public forums,” according to the First Amendment Center. That’s why universities can create rules and restrictions governing such speakers, like when and where they may speak. However, these rules must be applied fairly and have nothing to do with the speakers or their speech content.

So is that the reason,
A reproduction of a, bloody Severed head of the POTUS.
Is  Allowed.

I dunno - talk to the venue where it's displayed.

Because, displaying,  in several poses,
a facsimile of the bloody Severed head of the POTUS.,
is NOT AT ALL.    ‘Hate’ Speech !

The post that you referenced from me seems to spell it out.  

Here is the complete page:
http://college.usatoday.com/2017/04/20/do-controversial-figures-have-a-right-...

If you need more clarification, you should contact the venus you're concerned about.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/06/18 at 12:55:02

T And T Garage wrote on 08/06/18 at 10:37:14:

To me, the idiot jones falls in the same category as muslim extremists and other terrorist organizations. (pizza-gate, Sandy Hook "actors")

Plus, this is Facebook - a private company.  Their agreement probably states that they can delete content they deem unfit. (the reason I say "probably" is that, like pretty much everyone else, I've never really read through the user agreement...)

I think we’ve found something Jog and TT can agree in. A bakery that is a private entity can post notice that by entering their store, they agree to the owners rules. And if that owner declares homosexuality hate speech, they can not only refuse service, they can refuse them entry.
Finally, some bipartisanship!

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/06/18 at 12:59:24

WebsterMark wrote on 08/06/18 at 12:55:02:
T And T Garage wrote on 08/06/18 at 10:37:14:

I think we’ve found something Jog and TT can agree in. A bakery that is a private entity can post notice that by entering their store, they agree to the owners rules. And if that owner declares homosexuality hate speech, they can not only refuse service, they can refuse them entry.
Finally, some bipartisanship!

To be clear mark - I never weighed in on the whole "bakery" thing except to say that it's a slippery slope of discrimination.

But this might be an interesting point of contention.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/06/18 at 15:18:09

I think Apple, among other services are doing the right thing since they own the product people are using.  Since these companies are not exclusive to the US then its typically not only the US Constitution and Bill of Rights combined with the FCC that dictates the entirety of any decision to limit access.  There's global influence, and global money at stake, often times people forget this and attempt to apply US law to multi-national companies decision making process as if the decision should be made in a cultural and geographical vacuum.

If Facebook used public funding to run its post in a public park then it would be a different story.

College campus and public venue have already been examined in great detail and there is plenty of legal precedence that outlines where the lines typically are drawn.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/06/18 at 15:24:29

Eegore wrote on 08/06/18 at 15:18:09:
 I think Apple, among other services are doing the right thing since they own the product people are using.  Since these companies are not exclusive to the US then its typically not only the US Constitution and Bill of Rights combined with the FCC that dictates the entirety of any decision to limit access.  There's global influence, and global money at stake, often times people forget this and attempt to apply US law to multi-national companies decision making process as if the decision should be made in a cultural and geographical vacuum.

Great point!

If Facebook used public funding to run its post in a public park then it would be a different story.

College campus and public venue have already been examined in great detail and there is plenty of legal precedence that outlines where the lines typically are drawn.  

True - but it does become a slippery slope of precedent.  No easy answer for sure.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 08/06/18 at 19:44:14

Eegore wrote on 08/06/18 at 15:18:09:

Who owns the internet?

WWW   IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/07/18 at 06:33:50

We have discussed this before, nobody owns the entirety of the internet.  That's like saying who owns the air?  There's control features of "airspace" but to say that any one person or entity of any kind owns "the air" planet wide is wrong.

Its not the "internet" that they are stopping them from using.  Apple isn't stopping you or anyone from using the internet, they are stopping you from using their services on their platform that exists on the internet.  If I get banned from using this forum have I also been banned from the internet?  No.

If you were to build your own servers, software and access methods you could put anything you want on the internet, that's exactly what the "Dark Web" is.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:35:09

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Good idea?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.