Valve Cover Issues (Read 58 times)
WillytheSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valve Cover Issues
08/03/18 at 08:52:33

Hi all,

New to the forum.  I've looked through it feels like hundreds of posts trying to find an answer to some of these questions, but can't seem to find it.  I recently bought an 03 Savage in pretty bad shape and am in the process of fixing it up. It's been out in the hot sun of Utah for who knows how long, and the gasket stuff sealing the valve cover was leaking oil from every which way. Took it off, tried sealing it with Permatex Ultra Copper with no luck. I've read numerous places on here that there isn't an actual gasket for this thing, correct? Is there really no other option other than using a gasket sealer like Permatex?

I also broke a screw trying to get it out (was tightening instead of loosening...).  In the photo it's the one to the left of the spark plug.  Any advice on what to do there? The threads are too far in there to reach it with pretty much anything...Once the valve cover is off, that specific seems to be 1 of 2 spots where the site you screw it into is raised.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

IMG_1391_001.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Valve Cover Issues
Reply #1 - 08/03/18 at 09:06:25

Well......I prefer to use Suzukibond for the head cover - it is what the factory uses and recommends.  I am not a fan of the Permatex products on the Savage - they seem thinner and set up too fast.

For the broken stud.....are you sure you can't get to it once your remove the head cover again?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
NewbCycle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/03/18 at 09:09:08

I used Permatex Black on mine, and so far no issues. Make sure you are applying along the entire "polished" gasket line. (anywhere a shiny silver on the underside of the cover) Your silicone has to be a solid line ideally. DON'T GO CRAZY WITH IT, but I like to make sure my lines are beads, as opposed to just a film of sealant.

Also, one of my first purchases on my savage was buying a screw extractor. Solid 10 bucks well spent. #lifesaver

IP Logged
WillytheSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/03/18 at 14:21:42

I tried looking for Suzuki Bond and couldn't find it available anywhere.  Do you know where you can get some, or something similar? I did go buy some Ultra Black, mostly because i hated the copper color everywhere to try again...

As for the bolt, it's broke pretty far down, so there is no way to get to it.  Screw extractor, duh! didn't even cross my mind.  Have you done any on your Savage? It worked okay? Worried that this bolt hasn't been moved in years and won't be easy to get out...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 08/04/18 at 04:34:07

You won't find Suzukibond at Autozone, Walmart or Advance Auto.....you need to buy it from a dealer or online retailer.

https://www.rcsperformanceonline.com/Suzuki_Bond_p/suzuki%20bond.htm

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 12:24:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve Cover Issues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.