Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
really high idle from cold start (Read 152 times)
seve321

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

really high idle from cold start
07/30/18 at 13:03:02

I have an 86 savage. I have read about cold starts and needing to warm up the bike for before it runs well, but mine needs the idle maxed out from a cold start. and that's with the temp at mid to upper 80s. over time I am able to bring it down and run well. I have hard starts and need to use full choke every cold start. I should also mention that I have it straight piped.

Could it be the straight pipe? maybe valve adjustment? I did an adjustment about 2 months ago, maybe I didn't get the clearances close enough?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: really high idle from cold start
Reply #1 - 07/30/18 at 14:17:06

ould it be the straight pipe

Never a good idea

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
seve321

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/30/18 at 14:26:49

I never intended to have a straight pipe. The aftermarket muffler I put on didn't fit right with the baffle in it. The quick solution was to remove it. I've been thinking about cutting the baffle and rewelding it together to make it shorter but I haven't gotten around to it.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 07/30/18 at 20:18:48

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
seve321

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/31/18 at 08:34:28

Are you talking about the petcock? I don't have a stock Petcock. Mine is gravity fed.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 07/31/18 at 10:29:45

I believe Ruttly is talking about a vacuum leak on the intake , but I'm not sure it isn't that you're  just running lean, the open exhaust pipe must usually be compensated by an increase in fuel . What jets are you running? Have you done the spacer mod?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
seve321

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/31/18 at 11:31:53

I'm running a 52.5 pilot jet, 155 main, and 2 washers for the needle jet. I don't have any backfiring or decel issues.

« Last Edit: 07/31/18 at 13:09:48 by seve321 »  
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 07/31/18 at 13:09:49

seve321 wrote on 07/31/18 at 08:34:28:
Are you talking about the petcock? I don't have a stock Petcock. Mine is gravity fed.

Do you have the vacuum tap on the carb blocked closed?... (normally, a hose goes from the carb to the rear of the stock petcock)...
It needs to be blocked with a gravity feed pet...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
seve321

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/31/18 at 13:18:43

Serowbot wrote on 07/31/18 at 13:09:49:
seve321 wrote on 07/31/18 at 08:34:28:

Do you have the vacuum tap on the carb blocked closed?... (normally, a hose goes from the carb to the rear of the stock petcock)...
It needs to be blocked with a gravity feed pet...

Yes I made sure to have it capped off at the carb.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 07/31/18 at 14:53:23

Have you ever seen it act right or significantly better?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
seve321

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/31/18 at 15:02:15

Once I have it warmed up it runs fine. I'm able to get the idle down to what I would expect normal would be. Just staring it first thing from overnight is tough. I know that when the temp gets down to 60s maybe even 70s It's probably not going to be able to start.

IP Logged
Panhead
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brandon, FL
Reply #11 - 07/31/18 at 17:28:56

I was living in Ohio in the late 80s and riding a completely stock (except for the Sportster muffler) 86 Savage.  Even on below freezing temp mornings it started right up.  After a minute or so it idled normally with the choke off.  So it sounds like a carb issue since it it idles ok after warm up.  If you had such a slight vacuum leak that you can adjust the mixture to compensate for it then it should start quite readily with the choke on.  What you are describing brings the choke into question.  If the choke works properly it should increase your idle speed enough to compensate for a slight vacuum leak or any slightly too lean condition.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 07/31/18 at 19:21:16

Bottom line! You need to get a decent muffler .then tune the carb to it, that is the logical progression , running a straight pipe with no baffle is like spitting into the wind ,it just doesn't work on a Savage.(Or most other bikes for that matter).

IP Logged
seve321

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/31/18 at 20:04:03

I haven't messed with the air fuel mixture screw yet. That was my next thought. But I do have a buddy willing to give me a new muffler. I'll see if the screw helps at all then change the muffler when all else fails. I'll update when I get a chance

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 07/31/18 at 21:43:53

A lot will depend on what your "new" muffler is, and what elevation your running the bike at . Both will have a direct bearing on how you tune the carb. The stock jets for an 86 are 47.5/155and/the stock white spacer, you've gone up two sizes on the pilot to a 52,5 and two washers on the needle, this MAY make the low to mid range rich if your not riding at sea level ( and MIGHT be why you have hard starting- to much fuel, not enough air, unless you open the throttle fairly wide). because your open exhaust tends to do just the reverse (lean the fuel mix-due to the open exhaust) the open  throttle allows the bike to finally start but only allows  high idle speeds ,until it warms. I'd pull the sparkplug to see if it's black (soot)  that would  indicate it 's running rich, the plug can be cleaned and reused.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 12:26:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › really high idle from cold start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.