Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Prayers Needed for my Wife. (Read 572 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Prayers Needed for my Wife.
07/30/18 at 06:01:12

You may have noticed I have not been quite as active as normal.....I have been a bit distracted.

On July 14th my wife and I left for a vacation to Saba to go sight seeing and scuba diving.  We had been planning this trip for more than 10 years, and it started out really nice.  The island is near St. Martin, and it is a volcanic island that is about 5 square miles - there are no sandy beaches as the volcanic island has very steep shorelines, and the only flat area has bowling ball sized rocks.....it is a bit weird as the waves don't make the normal surf sounds - instead you hear the water moving rocks around and it sounds like somebody is banging coconut shells together.

The first day diving went like normal, we did two dives and my wife has been diving since the 70's and logged her 200th dive (I am at 126).  On the second day the first dive was to be around 80 feet, and most of the other divers went to the bottom of the reef - Deb and I stayed a bit above the others and our dive computers showed we had a maximum depth of 55 feet.  We were breathing Nitrox with 32% oxygen as it allows for safer dving, and we stayed less than an hour.  When the other divers were coming up they stopped at 15 feet to do their safety stop, and we stayed at 30 feet while they were above us doing their safety stop.  When they went to get on the boat we moved up to 15 feet and did our safety stop at 15 feet for 3 minutes.  Our dive computers showed we had very little Nitrogen as a result of our shallow dive, double safety stop and Nitrox - we were safe to surface.

As Deb got on the boat she complained of a back ache.  The Boat Captain and Dive Guide asked her questions and could not believe that the Bends were not likely, as our dive put us far below the maximum safe limits for Nitrogen loading.  Deb was not sure if she pulled a muscle, pinched a nerve, etc.  She did not do the second dive and she went to the local Dr. around noon and was examined - he also believed it was not a decompression/Nitrogen issue.  (Please don't turn this into an analysis of why this happened......she did everything by the book and is an experienced and careful diver.  Over 60 years old, female and other physical factors somehow resulted in a nitrogen bubble issue in her spine that just should not have happened).

By 6 PM that night Deb had a horrible time walking, and her legs had gone numb.  The Dr. came and examined her, and they called an ambulance and took her to the decompression chamber and put her in for a 6 hour session.  The next morning she was back in for another 5 hours, then 4 hours again in the afternoon.  The Dr. determined it was too much for the small local team to address - so Deb was taken by medical helicopter to St. Martin, then by Learjet to Miami.  She could not fly on a commercial flight as she had to be kept at an elevation less than 1,000 msl.....the Learjet was the only way to get that done.  (Luckily she had purchased the Divers Alert Network (DAN) dive insurance, and it pays up to $250,000 for evacuation expenses).

Deb has been in the Mercy Hospital in Miami since July 18, and she has been getting 1-2 decompression treatments every day.  She is slowly getting better, and we are hoping for a full recovery with little remaining symptoms.  They began to step up her therapy on Friday, and she is able to do some walking with a walker - yesterday they were able to get her to take some very slow steps without the walker.....they had to catch her a few times as she stumbled.  She also took a few steps on stairs.

I stayed with her in Miami for the first couple of days until my vacation time was over - there was not a lot of reason to stay as she was in the decompression chamber nearly the entire time I was there (except for the hours she was sleeping).  Her estimated release is going to be on August 8th - but we are not yet certain what that means.  She may be released on an outpatient basis and need to come back for therapy - she will have to get a local hotel to stay while the therapy continues.

Please pray for her full recovery.  She is in good spirits and determined to beat this......the Dr. said her positive attitude has allowed her to make good progress.

Thanks........Dave

PS:  We will be going back to the island once my wife has recovered enough for her to travel.  The folks on the island are very loving and took wonderful care of Deb - she wants to go back and show them they helped her to recover, and they don't need to worry about her anymore!  The nurses in the small hospital were truly doing their best to help her, and they were extremely loving and caring.  Saba is like a step back in time - the folks don't lock their doors, there is no theft or robberies....and folks genuinely care for each other!

« Last Edit: 07/30/18 at 07:37:56 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
faffi

A.S.A.N.

Norway
Re: Prayers Needed for my Wife.
Reply #1 - 07/30/18 at 06:49:44

Hope she will get well soon and recover fully!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 07/30/18 at 07:35:05

Will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers, Dave!  Tell Deb the slow talking Alabama boy is pulling for a speedy recovery  Wink

Stew

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #3 - 07/30/18 at 07:45:36

Dave, I am very sorry to hear that this happened but glad that her recovery is coming along. You will both be in my prayers.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/30/18 at 08:02:40

Sorry to hear this Dave.
Best wishes and prayers.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 07/30/18 at 08:06:08

So sorry to hear,... give her my best.
She'll be in my thoughts.
You're such a vital, adventurous couple, I'm sure she'll make a full recovery.

Peace, Serow

IMG_20171201_162215.jpg

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/30/18 at 08:50:26

I didn't even know something like that could happen. I knew about the bends, but, like you said, simply shouldn't have happened. I'm sorry for it, and wait for the news that she's all mended.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #7 - 07/30/18 at 09:30:55

Wow Dave, words escape me.....

As I am on vacation now, surrounded by my kids/grandkids, up in the mountains of Oregon, your sharing makes the fragility of life seem so much real, and present.
I am thankful for your faith, and really appreciate that in your time of great need, you include us with opportunity to pray to our amazing God.

Whatever the outcome I pray for peace, and acceptance, of our God’s will, and with many blessings to you Dave, your wife, and all those who you would have never come into contact with, otherwise, that your faith is abosulte, in our loving God.

Bless you, Amen.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 07/30/18 at 09:50:20

Wow Dave ,

That's got to be hard on both of ya !    So , ya both are going on my Prayer List .

You send  Deb a big hug and Get Well Quick  for me .  

I had no idea diving could be so dangerous … but I sort of suspect being below the water in that "Other-World" is very much kin to twisting the throttle as ya come out of a long sweeping curve .   I think its great that ya'll are share things together that puts that big smile all over ya.  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 07/30/18 at 10:03:49

Sorry to hear that Dave! Hope everything turns out well! I know you have to be worried . Best of luck!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #10 - 07/30/18 at 10:06:37

Sorry to read that story. Hopefully live will begin to get back to normal on the 8th. You can second guess this all day - two experienced divers took the usual and expected safety precautions and followed protocol, but still something went wrong. Sometimes crap just happens, look forward and not back.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 07/30/18 at 11:14:53

Thanks all....Deb is doing her best to beat this.

She must be trying hard.....she sent me a selfie, and she just doesn't seem herself.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #12 - 07/30/18 at 11:21:24

Dave wrote on 07/30/18 at 11:14:53:
Thanks all....Deb is doing her best to beat this.

She must be trying hard.....she sent me a selfie, and she just doesn't seem herself.

http://i68.tinypic.com/54dc7a.png

Oh great....
Now that just caused me to have a mild heart attack.....
Now I need prayers too  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 07/30/18 at 11:38:46

Yeah, next time, she needs to come up a LOT slower..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 07/30/18 at 12:57:05

Wow, that is quite the selfie !
It’s kind of hard to look at knowing what she really looks like.

Paula and I will pray for her quick and full recovery.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 02:26:33

General CategoryThe Cafe › Prayers Needed for my Wife.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.