raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Look at this......
07/27/18 at 07:42:41

Wish it had more pictures.....

I don't know anything about this bike, but it seems pretty cool, yes?

https://skagit.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1980-suzuki-gs1100/6635484204.html

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
faffi

A.S.A.N.

Norway
Re: Look at this......
Reply #1 - 07/27/18 at 14:34:35

If it is mint, the price is way too low. This was the best handling superbike of the early 80s, and with the gruntiest engine and the best comfort - although the GPz1100 introduced the following year came close. It's only flaw was a lack of cornering clearance, which is why racers had the alternator cut off. I regularly grounded the alternator cover (plus pegs, pipes and stands) on my GS550 (very similar, only smaller) when riding the backroads back in the day.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 07/27/18 at 14:46:23

Scam.  Quickest way I see it is when you click on the image it opens up in the "image window" the exact same size.  Yes, very odd way of detecting a scam, but you spend enough time looking at things you see the tell tell signs.  All of the scammers use some process and for whatever reason the images are never 'zoomed' in the view window like most other legit ads.

Not to mention the "story"....

Plus, a bike that classic would command more pictures.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
faffi

A.S.A.N.

Norway
Reply #3 - 07/27/18 at 15:10:14

Exactly my thoughts, but I do not know the market well enough to know for sure when it's a scam.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 07/27/18 at 16:24:53

Ah.....

It’s a sign of the times I guess.

I got my bike on CL, posted yesterday.
Woke to a reply via CL link.

Guy said he was interested in my bike, wants to talk, etc, but that CL link has been giving him issues.
I thought no way, you just contacted me, what the heck.
Bounced in off my smarter than me wife, she said it’s possible, use the email he gave me.
I did.
30 minutes go by and I get a reply.
He says, “He was just giving me some help, as he just sold his bike, and everyone looking at it wanted to know it’s history, like a car fax for motorcycles.
He said, and provided a link, that this place will do that for 40 bucks.
It made a big difference, and he sold his bike quickly after that....

I returned his email.
I asked him what kind of vacuum cleaner was he selling  Grin

Oh well, live and learn, sadly, some won’t  Embarrassed

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 07/27/18 at 20:39:01

Yep. CL can be a necessary evil. I occasionally buy and sell there too and the stories you get from scam buyers is ridiculous. I don’t even respond to ppl asking me to email them. I turn off the email reply option. I only offer my mobile as contact for call or text only and advertise I will NOT respond to requests to email.  Don’t fret...the real shoppers will follow your rules and ask real questions about the bike, not about shipping or taking a cashiers check. CASH ONLY!!! No exceptions.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 07/28/18 at 04:39:44

Same thing happened to me Raydawg when I was selling the NT.  I got the usual "Your item still for sale" requests.....I know those are not real folks and I ignore them.  I had 3 people that looked legitimate and I responded with questions that seemed they were really interested.  One of them responded back asking if I had a vehicle history report, and I said no.  He then responded with a link to where I could get one done for $15.  I suggested that he get it done, and if he bought the bike I would refund the $15 to him - or if he provided me a copy of it I would pay him for half......he responded that he could not pay for a report for someone else's bike - so I knew at that point it was just a scam promotion for his company.

A couple years back I was casually looking for a little Scamp travel trailer.  I found one that was really nice and had been restored inside, and the price was really cheap - he was in the military and if you bought it you would need to go to the base to pick it up.  He provided a link to a YouTube video of the inside, and I began to get suspicious when I saw the video had more than 1,000 views and was a couple months old......and the comments was disabled.  The trailer was so nice and the price so cheap it would have been gone within a few days of it listing.  I started looking at Craigslist sites in other major Cities, and the trailer was also listed in them - it was obviously a scam and I notified Craigslist in each City I found one of his listings.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 07/28/18 at 06:39:10

I found my Savage on C/L and went to look at it. Offered $1500 cash and showed the cash. She declined my offer and said she had 3 other buyer willing to pay more , so I gave her my number and told her to call when she was tired of being scammed and left. Two weeks later she called and said I was right and asked if I still had the cash. Told her got to hook up my trailer and see her in 30 minutes. She said she would never use C/L again to sell anything.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #8 - 07/28/18 at 08:03:28

Its not that bad here, yet.....
maybe because we are such a small isolated market, the island, etc.
I have been pretty lucky using it, buying and selling.

I did see a great truck, cheap, etc....
Same thing Dave, the military base, shipping out, thing.
It was her deceased husbands truck, and she just wanted it gone.

I bit.

I knew after the first exchange I got duped, now I wanted to turn the tables.
I pretended to be a 15 year old boy, and I was wanting my single mother to buy me this truck so I could get a job and help her and my siblings out, etc.
I got real personal with the "woman" asking about her late husband, how he died, etc.
I told her my mom was not being reasonable, a real BEETCH, and that she needed to talk to her, etc....
I told her I could maybe do payments after I got the job, but needed the truck to get a job, etc....

Guess what, never heard back  Grin

I do that on sales calls too, on the phone
I tell them, opps, you just caught me getting out of the shower, I nekked, and dripping.....
Asked them if that excites them?
I keep it going, asking them probing questions......
They hang up  Grin

Try it, its fun.
I've made up such outrageous stories of misery, that I think I had them on the edge of tears, wanting to send me stuff to help  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 07/28/18 at 09:29:54

Oddball number on caller ID
Sometimes I answer
Herro? How I help you?
And do my best Chinese Imitation.
Or
Top o the morning to you...
And go Irish..
But I'm considering,
Sheriff's office
Fraud and Bunko division

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #10 - 07/28/18 at 09:39:27

Those are good, but honest, try the shower thing and ask if they can just breath heavy for a couple more minutes  Grin

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #11 - 07/28/18 at 10:12:31

I didn't even have to look at the name to know who wrote the last post !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #12 - 07/28/18 at 11:08:26

Ruttly wrote on 07/28/18 at 10:12:31:
I didn't even have to look at the name to know who wrote the last post !

You have any idea how much corporation pay to get name recognition  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 07/28/18 at 17:23:40

raydawg wrote on 07/28/18 at 09:39:27:
Those are good, but honest, try the shower thing and ask if they can just breath heavy for a couple more minutes  Grin

I know just the voice to use..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #14 - 07/28/18 at 20:33:43

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/28/18 at 17:23:40:
raydawg wrote on 07/28/18 at 09:39:27:

I know just the voice to use..

Oh mercy...... you is giving me the vapors  Grin Embarrassed Kiss

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:17:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › Look at this......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.