Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mikuni CV carb question (Read 171 times)
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Mikuni CV carb question
07/24/18 at 23:51:43

Hello,
I have 2 different CV mikuni carbs apart on the bench, to build 1 good one.
One has a silver colored needle jet (not steel, maybe stainless? It ain't  magnetic) the other has a brass one. Both appear to be identicle in all aspects exept material theu are made from.both are clean and both have the same number of holes and using a tip cleaner, they both have the same size hole... best i can tell.

Which should i use??

« Last Edit: 07/25/18 at 04:28:46 by madmikesmech »  

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Mikuni CV carb question
Reply #1 - 07/25/18 at 08:15:31

WOW!  first, do you know what year bikes the carbs came from? second, do you know which jet needle is paired with each needle jet?and which set came from which carb body?   Early carbs (86-87) used a  different set,and had a larger throttle plate, than the later carbs ( 95-present). I'm guessing the "steel" set may be from an early carb(don't know) as my 95 has the brass jet , and the jet needle is not tapered . I am not knowledgeable about the older carb. Which carb body you use may decide which set you use.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #2 - 07/25/18 at 08:47:54

I think you definitely need to keep the needles with the jets they originally came with.

Do you know which set came from which carb?

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #3 - 07/26/18 at 05:36:16

Yes I have kept everything together that belongs together. They appear to be identical except for material they are made from.the non brass one is from tbe '99 carb body. The brass one (the one I'm using) is from the '86, and that is the carb body, and slide/needle im using. All is good, i just wondered if you "gurus" knew something "special" about that stainless needle jet and preffered it.
Thank you for the input, and this great forum

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 07/27/18 at 23:15:53

I'd stick with the needle jet ,jet needle that came with the body your using because they are different from the 99. be aware that the pilot and main jets(stock) where also different in 86 ,the pilot was a 47.5 and the main a 155.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 07/29/18 at 07:40:30

It's not a good idea to use a tip cleaner (steel) anywhere near jets (brass)  as they may damage /increase the size of the holes ,better to use strands of  copper wire (softer than brass).

IP Logged
Spamcan
YaBB Newbies

Burdened with a
restless mind !

Reply #6 - 08/04/18 at 17:29:38

Yep, to clean out those small main jet cylinders holes, I, too would use only copper strands. I just yesterday cleaned out a similar set on my son's generator to get it going. By all means keep the needle with its jet. Cool

USAF Ret E7. Instrumentation and Flight Controls. QC Activity Team Chief. Field Training Instructor, Type IIA PMEL. C-47, C-54, C-121, C-130, T-33, T-37, T-38, F-5, A-37, F-101, F-105, F-16. Loved it!
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 08/05/18 at 02:17:40

batman wrote on 07/29/18 at 07:40:30:
It's not a good idea to use a tip cleaner (steel) anywhere near jets (brass)  as they may damage /increase the size of the holes ,better to use strands of  copper wire (softer than brass).

That's why you use them carefully and with a light touch.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 08/05/18 at 05:34:59

A very light touch ,when you consider that their actually files. You might be better off (at least for brass jets)using a sewing needle ,their pointed and tapered and smooth ,when pushed in to the point the taper stops them they would be far less likely to increase the size of the hole your trying to unplug. At that point carb cleaner and copper wire could be used to remove any remaining crud left do to the needle being tapered.

IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #9 - 08/05/18 at 10:34:26

Thanks for all the great replies! Batman, I had already used the tip cleaners BEFORE your helpful tip.
I must agree with Lancer, when used with a light touch, and a bit of common srnce tip cleaners work well. I WOULD NOT use a tip cleaner that would oversize the jet! Mainly just to clear a plugged jet, then take it from there using carb cleaner and compressed air.
Got it mounted up on the bike  it didn't even roll over 1 revolution and it fired right up. Behaved like a whole different bike on the test ride!!
Thanks for all the help Lancer,  and all of you!
Here is a link to the initial first start up
https://youtu.be/SmV5FNmAGGM
Mike

IP Logged
Savage Terry
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/07/18 at 17:42:08

Lancer, could you please pm or email me (EMRDIV@GMAIL.COM) so I can order a carb kit.  I would pm you except I don't have 10 posts yet.  Thanks Terry

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 12:32:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mikuni CV carb question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.