Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Santa fe, 7000+ ft carb settings? (Read 119 times)
bflx
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Santa fe, 7000+ ft carb settings?
07/23/18 at 18:02:03

Got my 2012 a month ago and it was jetted at 150/55 (don't know about needle spacer, but think it's still at stock) and this seemed to be pretty rich, though not horrible, for the 1000ft elevation. Changed the plug and was really black. Have driven the bike to New Mexico and am now driving between 6000ft and 9000ft. I rejetted to 145/50 the other day and it feels ok, though a bit sluggish compared to before. Anyone have savage experience for Santa fe? Jetting recommendations? No exhaust or air filter mods.

IP Logged
dustystranger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Santa fe, 7000+ ft carb settings?
Reply #1 - 07/23/18 at 18:28:18

I live in Silver city, NM,elevation 6,000 ft.  Most of my riding is between 6-8000 ft.  I have two savages.  One has stock jetting and the brass plug over air mixture screw untouched.  The needle  has had the shim mod.  And it runs great.  My other savage has the shim mod, larger pilot jet, brass plug removed and it  also runs great.  My advice at this altitude it to shim the needle and call it a day.  RE different exhaust.  I have tried several.  None of them required carb changes.  My first pick for muffler mod is eight 5/16" holes.  Second pick is the dyna muffler.  I have tried others as well, but they are  not worth mentioning.

IP Logged
bflx
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/24/18 at 11:25:53

Thanks for the feedback...just pulled my plug last night to have a look at what's happening with my 145/50 setup, and plug is still really black. So, well, guess I'm just gonna run on the rich side, and maybe fiddle with the needle spacer next time I open up the carb.

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #3 - 07/25/18 at 04:09:47

50 pilot and 150 main would probably be good for you

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 07/29/18 at 14:16:50

Your jets should be good for your elevation. If your plug (New or cleaned) is still black your running rich , I'd be checking the float valve , O-ring around the float valve seat , or the float level being to high,all of which could flood the carb sending in to much fuel .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #5 - 07/29/18 at 20:39:52

55 pilot is too big, 150 main should be fine

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 07/30/18 at 05:13:24

At 7,000 feet.....the stock jetting may be just fine.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1098869040

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 07/30/18 at 09:39:45

He's running 50/ 145  jets, neither of these should cause the sparkplug to be covered in soot. If anything the bike should be running normal or a bit lean.  he should be looking to see if the spacer mod was done by the PO ,seeing the bike was set up for 1000 ft/sea level and was running a 55 pilot earlier . logic tells me it's getting extra fuel at mid range rpm ,either the needle jet is set to high (may have only 2-#4 washers), or the float bowl level is to high for what ever reason.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 07/30/18 at 10:02:23

2012, could be a petcock issue.
If the diaphragm is leaking fuel then that would explain the over rich condition.

WWW   IP Logged
bflx
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/01/18 at 15:39:08

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! So to answer a couple things. Verslagen mentioned petcock. I changed it to a raptor before coming to New Mexico elevation (I think the diaphragm was leaky when I bought the bike).

Here at 7000+ ft I've tested the stock pilot (52.5) and one step lower (50) and I feel the idle and performance is significantly better with the 50. Screw is currently at 2.5 turns out with the 50.

If I feel like taking the carb off and getting into some cleaning in the near future, I'll check the spacer to see if it was modified. PO said he changed the jets from stock, but didn't mention the spacer, so not really sure about that. He may have had a shop do the change and perhaps they modified the spacer and he didn't realize.

And if I get that far in I'll check the float as batman said.

Drove about 100 miles today between 7500ft and 5000ft, mostly 55-60 on the highway but with some city driving as well. Got about 55mpg. Before, with the 150/55 jets at 1000ft was getting around 43mpg.

IP Logged
bflx
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/01/18 at 15:50:53

Also, I put in a new air filter recently, so that's definitely not a factor for the richness.

IP Logged
bflx
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/01/18 at 16:05:19

Another thing, non jet related...

Have had a much harder time guaging my oil level in New Mexico. Running Rotella T4, the same as I was in Kansas at 1000ft. In Kansas, the level stayed pretty constant regardless of the engine temp. But here I'm finding that with a cold engine I'm somewhere in the middle of the sight glass. After a good hot run I'm above the top line, sight glass completely full or very close to full.

Wondering if the Rotella 15w40 is maybe not the right choice for Santa Fe, even in summer. Temps fluctuate between 60 and 90 at times.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 08/01/18 at 18:04:14

Considering the FACT that if you have normal air pressure in your tires at 1000ft elevation ,when you ride up to 7000ft your tires will be over inflated . I think it may be possible that as your oil warns to running temperature it may also expand  more at higher elevation (don't know).But I don't think it's anything to worry ,or change oil types about.I would however check to see if that oil smells like gas.

« Last Edit: 08/02/18 at 21:12:05 by batman »  

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #13 - 08/06/18 at 18:50:19

And in the morning the oil will go back half circle?

Let your engine cool before checking it

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 12:29:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Santa fe, 7000+ ft carb settings?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.