Send Topic Print
Continental tires (Read 139 times)
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Continental tires
07/17/18 at 19:08:36

I mounted some new tires and thought I would pass on my experience with them since I haven't read about anyone on this forum using them.  My Moto Guzzi had Metzler Lasertech tires with only 4400 miles on them but I pitched them.  They tended to lock up and slide with heavy braking and the front tire also had a strong tendency to follow every groove or ridge in the pavement.  They had lots of tread left but I decided they were a hazard to my health.  I bought some Continental Conti Go tires.  I have over 200 miles on them now and I am very happy with their performance.  They seem to stick well and don't follow the grooves and offsets in the pavement.  I find myself cornering a little faster than I did with the Lasertechs and the bike feels more stable in the turns.  I put "Ride On" tube sealant in them which also acts as a balancer.  We'll see how they hold up over time.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Continental tires
Reply #1 - 07/18/18 at 00:31:26

I went from the original IRC rear, to a Conti Blitz and was quite happy with it,

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/18/18 at 03:55:10

went from the original IRC rear,

I don't think anyone has found a tire that wasn't an improvement.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 07/18/18 at 07:25:47

I'm glad some one is trying the  Continental Conti Go tires .   I've looked their direction several time … but stuck with the tried and true.    You'll have to let us know if they make 15,000 miles in the long run.   I like the way they look too.
My V-7 came with Sport Demons' the rear lasted almost 4000 miles  Sad .  The front rubber tore 6000 miles during a hard breaking (tread-rip) , hard enough that the anti lock break worked  Roll Eyes .

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #4 - 07/18/18 at 08:04:38

MM, if your Guzzi has 16 inch rear tire you may want to look at the Dunlop Elite 3 tire. It has a long lasting center compound and a softer compound on the sides. It is supposed to be a very long lasting tire. I believe though that it is not made in a 15 inch size.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - 07/18/18 at 11:26:17

Savage is fixing to have a 16" rear when I go tubeless this winter.   And I haven't bought one yet !

I've got a GS 450 set / and a GS550  set , don't know which one I'll use yet , but the GS550  brake needs an "arm" added to make it work but the brake is bigger (no problem if ya have a welder).

might go with the "Go" "Elite"  tire ?   If it has long life ? Dont have to deside yet ...

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #6 - 07/18/18 at 15:15:26

OOOOPs. Sorry. The Elite 4 is the latest version.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Reply #7 - 07/18/18 at 19:19:03

MMRanch wrote on 07/18/18 at 07:25:47:
I'm glad some one is trying the  Continental Conti Go tires .   I've looked their direction several time … but stuck with the tried and true.    You'll have to let us know if they make 15,000 miles in the long run.   I like the way they look too.
My V-7 came with Sport Demons' the rear lasted almost 4000 miles  Sad .  The front rubber tore 6000 miles during a hard breaking (tread-rip) , hard enough that the anti lock break worked  Roll Eyes .  

I'd take 4,000 mi on the demons on my Guzzi Le Mans and be happy.  I only get 3,000 out of a rear.  Granted it's a heavier more powerful bike and I do tend to ride it like I stole it.  The Demons are soft and sticky

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 07/18/18 at 21:22:39

OOOOPs. Sorry. The Elite 4 is the latest version.  

?

Huh

I'd like to read some reports on how long they last , they might last longer than the "Go" tire --- might not  ?  

So , take the South Texas ride we just took this year .     I had 2,500 miles on the SportsDemon tire and was looking at a 3000 mile ride …
I couldn't take the Guzzi without putting a new tire on it , even though it only had 2,500 miles on the tire so should I have threw away a tire that was only 1/2 worn out with a 2016 manufacture date on it ?     Undecided

The way I see it :

Anything sticker than good enough to drag foot-pegs is wasted , and on dry pavement almost any tire is that good - even the 20,000+ mile Commander II .   Some of the Sport bikes have more lean angle available and need sticker tires , but that kind of sticky isn't needed on anything I've got ...  Grin

antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
Reply #9 - 07/19/18 at 04:10:44

I have been running Shinko 712's on my S40 and 2 of my Guzzis.
They always feel well planted while cornering. I have Bridgestone battleaxe BT45's on another Guzzi and I feel less secure on them.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 07/19/18 at 07:19:31

antmanbee

So you got four Guzzis and a s-40 ?

Huh

I've only got one guzzi and an S-40 … I might need to go shopping ?  

Grin

Roll Eyes   but then I'd have to get more tires too …  Undecided

antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
Reply #11 - 07/19/18 at 09:20:07

Buying new shoes for the kids is expensive.
That's why I buy a lot of Shinko's.
I am happy with the way they handle and they are easier on the pocket book.

IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/19/18 at 11:58:21

I got a question, who makes the 140/80-15 rear tire besides IFC I think it is?

IP Logged
antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
Reply #13 - 07/19/18 at 14:39:16

a 140/90-15 will make your speedo just about right on the money.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #14 - 07/19/18 at 14:54:37

I'm with you antmanbee, I like the Shinko 712 rear tire.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 02:23:30

General CategoryThe Cafe › Continental tires

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.