Send Topic Print
Saddle bags question (Read 157 times)
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Saddle bags question
07/16/18 at 00:04:00

Right now I have OEM saddle bags installed on my bike, and I don't like them much. They require the straps to go right over the passenger portion of the seat, which makes the seat very uncomfortable for the passenger. I'm looking for a set of good aftermarket saddle bags, but there are so many to chose from. I want something that has good mounting on our bikes, and I think I am leaning towards hard plastic, but open to leather as well.

Please recommend.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Re: Saddle bags question
Reply #1 - 07/16/18 at 02:20:39

You will most likely need to modify some 'standard' brackets, or fabricate your own. There's not much available.

I moved my rear turn signals to the licence plate bracket, removed the side rails, then stretched the OEM saddlebag brackets, so I could mount them using the hole where the turn signals were. Later, I also cut and welded the brackets to bring them closer to the bike. They stick out a long way from the bike as they come.

I bought some Willie & Max saddlebags (small slant bags, you can fit a six-pack in each). I also cut the straps a bit so I could throw them under the rear seat. It worked out well ... they're good bags.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 07/16/18 at 15:39:42

Leather,bags are hard to keep water proof and tend to dry an curl over time (their expensive and require a lot of maintenance). I'd run anything but leather.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 07/17/18 at 09:47:24

If you're willing to accept them for what they are and maybe reinforce them a bit, I've been happy with my cheap Mutazu bags.

S40withbags_zps36bd1522.jpg

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 07/17/18 at 21:05:24

I have the Viking bags. Pleased with the quality for the price, but note that their universal mounting kit does NOT fit although they try to advertise it does. I had to make my own hard mounts, but I knew that ahead of time. If you can’t fabricate braces, do not buy Viking bags.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #5 - 07/18/18 at 04:22:07

stewmills wrote on 07/17/18 at 21:05:24:
I have the Viking bags. Pleased with the quality for the price, but note that their universal mounting kit does NOT fit although they try to advertise it does. I had to make my own hard mounts, but I knew that ahead of time. If you can’t fabricate braces, do not buy Viking bags.

"Universal"  Grin Grin Grin

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
elricfate

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/18/18 at 12:04:13

I, too, have Viking bags. I, too, utilized their universal brackets. I, on the other hand, drilled one extra hole through my fender to accommodate them, utilizing the rear stem holes for the blinkers I had to relocate (I ended up replacing them at the same time anyways).

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1528753370

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 07/18/18 at 14:31:14

Viking bags

IMG_20160511_080557_2_004.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #8 - 07/18/18 at 14:31:46

Back-side of homemade hard mount brackets

IMG_20160511_181026_003.jpg

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #9 - 07/24/18 at 11:26:49

Last summer i picked up these leather bags on C.L., I got them cheap, think i paid like $20.

As Batman said, the leather nags get weathered and flimsy, these were not to flimsy, but they were distorted from the way the seller stored them!
So i constructed these simple "stiffeners, from som 1/4" steel tubing.

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 12:22:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Saddle bags question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.