Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Pretence of Democracy (Read 185 times)
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
The Pretence of Democracy
07/12/18 at 18:54:19

A couple of thought provoking articles from Vox and The New Yorker might give some pause to those who assume America is a democracy...

The Democrats and the majority they represent will have their time, and when they get their majority in both houses it will be incumbent upon them to pack the Supreme Court, meaning they can appoint 13 judges to the Supreme Court and then immediately appoint 4 more. After McConnell's antics with refusing to even contemplate Merrick Garland, the future Democrat majority will be right to do so.

...we are witnessing the dénouement of an outrageous power grab by a radicalized political party, its wealthy backers, and a rogue President.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/why-its-right-to-be-mad-about-k...

To effect this transformation, the Republican Party has relied not just on the quirks of the Electoral College but also on another electoral body that was designed to limit majority rule: the U.S. Senate, where the 1.7 million residents of Idaho receive the same number of representatives as the 39.5 million residents of California.

America, for all its proud democratic rhetoric, is not actually a democracy.

https://www.vox.com/2018/7/9/17546170/supreme-court-donald-trump-nominee

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: The Pretence of Democracy
Reply #1 - 07/12/18 at 20:41:40

Hey, genius,
IT NEVER WAS

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/13/18 at 06:13:30

Two HIGHLY biased articles. This isn't hard to figure out. Our system has worked for over 250 years. The pendulum swings left then the pendulum swings right. It is what we call balance. When the Left wins the Right is outraged. When the Right wins the Left is outraged.

Do you REALLY think that if Clinton won the election that she would appoint a Right Wing Judge so that there was a Balance on the court or do you think she would have Stacked to court in the Lefts favor?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 07/13/18 at 06:32:56

I've been watching for over fifty years. I've been watching the left get the social moves. And society has been in decline.
I've never seen it swing right.
Until now.
Trump is the BEST president I've seen.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
faffi

A.S.A.N.

Norway
Reply #4 - 07/13/18 at 11:20:50

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/13/18 at 06:32:56:

Why? Please be specific. What has he succeeded in getting done that Nixon, Ford, Reagan and the Bushes failed to accomplish?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 07/13/18 at 13:04:34

The USA is a democratic republic.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 07/13/18 at 17:48:03

faffi wrote on 07/13/18 at 11:20:50:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/13/18 at 06:32:56:

Why? Please be specific. What has he succeeded in getting done that Nixon, Ford, Reagan and the Bushes failed to accomplish?

He's changing things.
America is benefiting.
The tariff thing is gonna be a mess for a while, but dropping taxes and inviting businesses back will pay off, and the rest of the world will cave in. It's gonna hurt, but the gains will be worth it.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/14/18 at 05:12:05

100% correct Jog.

Business confidence is booming. Hispanic and black employment numbers are at all time highs. The nonsense of liberalism is being put on display and more and more people are no longer afraid to stand up to the tiny minority of leftist who have been able to dominate news and entertainment.

IP Logged
faffi

A.S.A.N.

Norway
Reply #8 - 07/14/18 at 14:09:30

WebsterMark wrote on 07/14/18 at 05:12:05:
100% correct Jog.

Business confidence is booming. Hispanic and black employment numbers are at all time highs. The nonsense of liberalism is being put on display and more and more people are no longer afraid to stand up to the tiny minority of leftist who have been able to dominate news and entertainment.

We must live in different universes.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/14/18 at 15:27:06

Apparently we do. I'm in the business world. I deal with manufacturing facilities and that's what I see. Business is up substantially. The people I deal with make and sell things. They don't like what leftist are saying.

IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/16/18 at 09:40:39

I am in the business of distributing construction materials and we are absolutely going nuts trying to fill orders, every manufacturer I know is behind in production due to the new demand. And if you are in the trucking business right now....WOW..... back in the crash of 08 when sooo many trucking companies closed????? they are starting up again.... my biggest issue right now is getting product to customers because the demand for trucks is so high and this is because EVERYONE is busier.

Very different form the "this is the new normal" we got from the last President.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/16/18 at 12:15:58

MShipley wrote on 07/16/18 at 09:40:39:
I am in the business of distributing construction materials and we are absolutely going nuts trying to fill orders, every manufacturer I know is behind in production due to the new demand. And if you are in the trucking business right now....WOW..... back in the crash of 08 when sooo many trucking companies closed????? they are starting up again.... my biggest issue right now is getting product to customers because the demand for trucks is so high and this is because EVERYONE is busier.

Very different form the "this is the new normal" we got from the last President.

that's great, can you actually tell me why though?

IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/16/18 at 12:59:22

Can I actually tell you why? No. I am not an economist. But I will tell you what I THINK is why.

When you look across the map of American and who votes blue and who votes red we count the individual vote and that is good but the blue votes are concentrated in urban areas only. what you will see is a vast sea of red. PS. this is why the Electoral College is in place.

That VAST amount of red is WAYYYYYY more confident about what is happening in this country today. They like the tax cuts. They like the FOCUS on American and it's citizens. They FEEL like someone at least cares a little about them, instead of ignoring them for illegal immigrants and every other person. They at least think that there is some hope to protect our moral vales.

Did you know that the people of America are the most generous in the world and that the American people give more money to charities and relief activities than all the rest of the world combined? Yet if you listen to the news and the left we are just a bunch of racist, uncaring, selfish people. All of that vast amount of red is sick of hearing that lie.

I think the vast majority of America are sick to death of having all these fringe social issues being the center point of the media and government when they are just trying to get a decent job, pay their bills and raise their kids in a moral society where they don't have to worry about boys being in the girls locker rooms.

I am sorry but the Democrats and left, along with the media, have lost touch with the realities of being an American, who we are and what we stand for. They are sick of being told they are racist and homophobic by people that only have the right to make the complaints because their children and forefathers died to give them that freedom. This is the greatest country on earth. And by the way, although slavery is a dark spot on our history. It was those darn Christian abolitionist and hundreds of thousands of white people that died to end it. why don't we ever remember that?

They are sick of watching the news and it's onslaught against the President they elected. They are sick of the corruption, they are sick of nothing happening. They are sick of hearing about Russia and the excuses the left make. Trump won and like Obama said. Elections have consequences.

My Granddaughter that is 9 years old came home from school and told me that Trump was the worst President ever, that he was a racist and she hates him. This is what the leftist considers education for 3rd graders along with telling her it is OK to have sex with anyone anytime she so desires. And guess what? That Vast amount of red is sick of this stuff.

I think the Blue is going to get another rude awakening come November.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/16/18 at 13:26:02

MShipley wrote on 07/16/18 at 12:59:22:
Can I actually tell you why? No. I am not an economist. But I will tell you what I THINK is why.

When you look across the map of American and who votes blue and who votes red we count the individual vote and that is good but the blue votes are concentrated in urban areas only. what you will see is a vast sea of red. PS. this is why the Electoral College is in place.

That VAST amount of red is WAYYYYYY more confident about what is happening in this country today. They like the tax cuts. They like the FOCUS on American and it's citizens. They FEEL like someone at least cares a little about them, instead of ignoring them for illegal immigrants and every other person. They at least think that there is some hope to protect our moral vales.

Did you know that the people of America are the most generous in the world and that the American people give more money to charities and relief activities than all the rest of the world combined? Yet if you listen to the news and the left we are just a bunch of racist, uncaring, selfish people. All of that vast amount of red is sick of hearing that lie.

I think the vast majority of America are sick to death of having all these fringe social issues being the center point of the media and government when they are just trying to get a decent job, pay their bills and raise their kids in a moral society where they don't have to worry about boys being in the girls locker rooms.

I am sorry but the Democrats and left, along with the media, have lost touch with the realities of being an American, who we are and what we stand for. They are sick of being told they are racist and homophobic by people that only have the right to make the complaints because their children and forefathers died to give them that freedom. This is the greatest country on earth. And by the way, although slavery is a dark spot on our history. It was those darn Christian abolitionist and hundreds of thousands of white people that died to end it. why don't we ever remember that?

They are sick of watching the news and it's onslaught against the President they elected. They are sick of the corruption, they are sick of nothing happening. They are sick of hearing about Russia and the excuses the left make. Trump won and like Obama said. Elections have consequences.

My Granddaughter that is 9 years old came home from school and told me that Trump was the worst President ever, that he was a racist and she hates him. This is what the leftist considers education for 3rd graders along with telling her it is OK to have sex with anyone anytime she so desires. And guess what? That Vast amount of red is sick of this stuff.

I think the Blue is going to get another rude awakening come November.

Touchdown. Spike the football. Game over.
Especially this line: I think the vast majority of America are sick to death of having all these fringe social issues being the center point of the media.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #14 - 07/16/18 at 13:37:18

You guys, tell me why the ice melted but today it’s hotter because of man?

The left does NOT want anybody to succeed with Trump in office.
It’s not important if it’s his policies or not, if it goes down, then it’s his fault.
How do you reason with such idiocy?
You can’t.

Boeing just sold a record order today to a USA air freight company, in the billions, because goods are moving, and forcast the same in the years ahead, when the planes are ready to deliver.

I am trying to get a new Ford cargo van, can’t get, business is on hold until we can get one.

Yeah, a different world some live in, it’s callef delusional  Grin

And to think a few days ago we had a thread on truth  Smiley

BTW.....
Wife and I had to drive to town to get some new furniture....
Help Wanted signs plastered everywhere.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 14:42:58

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › The Pretence of Democracy

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.