Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
USA, an 'almost' democracy (Read 69 times)
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
USA, an 'almost' democracy
07/11/18 at 20:26:01

And even that 'almost' democracy is under the pump...

The Democrats and the majority they represent will have their time, and when they get their majority in both houses it will be incumbent upon them to pack the Supreme Court, meaning they can appoint 13 judges to the Supreme Court and then immediately appoint 4 more. After McConnell's antics with refusing to even contemplate Merrick Garland, the future Democrat majority will be right to do so.

...we are witnessing the dénouement of an outrageous power grab by a radicalized political party, its wealthy backers, and a rogue President.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/why-its-right-to-be-mad-about-k...

To effect this transformation, the Republican Party has relied not just on the quirks of the Electoral College but also on another electoral body that was designed to limit majority rule: the U.S. Senate, where the 1.7 million residents of Idaho receive the same number of representatives as the 39.5 million residents of California.

America, for all its proud democratic rhetoric, is not actually a democracy.

https://www.vox.com/2018/7/9/17546170/supreme-court-donald-trump-nominee

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Re: USA, an 'almost' democracy
Reply #1 - 07/11/18 at 20:30:17

in another 5-4 case, the Court largely refused to strike down a series of racial gerrymanders in Texas that a San Antonio district court said denied Latinos “their opportunity to elect a candidate of their choice.” Justice Sonia Sotomayor’s dissent was blistering. “This disregard of both precedent and fact comes at serious costs to our democracy,” she wrote. “It means that, after years of litigation and undeniable proof of intentional discrimination, minority voters in Texas—despite constituting a majority of the population within the State—will continue to be underrepresented in the political process.”

By slowly fashioning a ruling conservative bloc on the Supreme Court, the Republican Party has carefully exploited the biases and shortcomings of the political system. Ultimately, that is what makes the prospect of Kavanaugh’s ascension so objectionable. It wouldn’t just cement in place a reactionary and unrepresentative majority. It would be the latest act in an anti-democratic (small “d”) heist.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 07/11/18 at 20:43:30

Must blow where you live, eh muck?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #3 - 07/11/18 at 23:18:27

raydawg wrote on 07/11/18 at 20:43:30:

What makes you think that? Muck? Or are you just having a bit of a Jodrell?

I guess it must suck to be you, eh?

Do Kindly post again if you have something vaguely intelligent to say about the topic. Roffle.

Take a look around and you tell me. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Scarborough+QLD+4020/@-27.1970717,153.11055...

20seconds from Scarborough Point, where we were watching a sea eagle tear a fish to pieces a couple of days ago and watched the dolphins leaping out of the water. Just 20 mins ride and we are in the glasshouse mountains some of the most spectacular biking roads in Australia. Which seeing as I'm retired is quite nice.

And in Australia we have *free* universal health care, need MRI, now worries cobber, it's free, need robotic microsurgury, no worries cobber it's free. Unlike the wealthy USA where a trip to the hospital can have you thrown out of the hospital.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/12/18 at 03:47:18

Australian's are among the people most jealous of America. That's why when an Australian strikes it rich, they move here.

I always find it interesting when a foreigner in a lesser country is so wrapped up and knowledgeable about the US when most of the US doesn't know crap about them. Here's the thing, we don't have to know about you, but you have to know about us.

Yack about "free" healthcare which isn't really free etc ,but when you get in over your head, gives us a shout and maybe we'll help you out.......again.

IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/12/18 at 05:57:46

eau, you really need to stop watching CNN.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #6 - 07/12/18 at 09:37:09

eau de sauvage wrote on 07/11/18 at 23:18:27:
raydawg wrote on 07/11/18 at 20:43:30:

What makes you think that? Muck? Or are you just having a bit of a Jodrell?

I guess it must suck to be you, eh?

Do Kindly post again if you have something vaguely intelligent to say about the topic. Roffle.

Take a look around and you tell me. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Scarborough+QLD+4020/@-27.1970717,153.11055...

20seconds from Scarborough Point, where we were watching a sea eagle tear a fish to pieces a couple of days ago and watched the dolphins leaping out of the water. Just 20 mins ride and we are in the glasshouse mountains some of the most spectacular biking roads in Australia. Which seeing as I'm retired is quite nice.

And in Australia we have *free* universal health care, need MRI, now worries cobber, it's free, need robotic microsurgury, no worries cobber it's free. Unlike the wealthy USA where a trip to the hospital can have you thrown out of the hospital.

Oh gee, you are your own witness, nothing bias about that, eh pudding.  Kiss

I get a laugh when folks post on FB how great their lives are, etc, when in reality, its all a facade.

Yeah, I get it, who doesn't want the accolades and headiness of thinking others view us as better, than what WE know we really are.

I am just as guilty as those I charge.....

And it fails me, won't sustain me, just like it won't them, either....

Go spear some fish mate, forget about Trump.
Choose your happiness, and live it.....
Too many saints in this world already, who only pretend to be saints  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #7 - 07/12/18 at 18:41:17

@Dawg,

I posted a thread about the undemocratic USA, and your answer was...

Think how moronic that is as an answer. I merely explained that it's very nice where I live,

Then you and your mates try to tell me I'm 'jealous' of America, which frankly is a very weird thing to say, it doesn't even. makes sense to say that. The very fact that you need to convince yourself that people wish they were in your shoes is a testament to your pathetic whimpering instead of addressing the point of the thread which is America's lack of democracy.

In fact I may repost as you and your foolish friends have just trolled the entire thread.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/12/18 at 20:48:27

I have found that the majority of Americans that feel that people from other countries are "jealous" haven't been to those locations for more than a month or so, if at all.

Most of the veterans I work with, that have spent considerable time deployed don't experience a lot of jealousy as much as they experience curiosity.  

That's just a personal observation, given my frequent travel I find myself asking this question periodically.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #9 - 07/13/18 at 00:48:05

@Eegore,

I'm having some difficulty even comprehending what someone would mean by 'jealousy' of a country. I find the idea itself a bit off beam. Maybe you could explain what someone might mean?

However I suspect that the posters who try and assert this obviously must feel threatened by the premise of this thread, or they are happy with the abuse of the phoney democracy but wish to hide the fact they are racist, misogynist xenophobes.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/13/18 at 05:52:06

It means that a number of the people I talk to think that people live in other countries and wish they had an American lifestyle with the  associated freedoms and purchasing options.

For instance owning firearms, hotdogs, designer clothing, things that are normal in America, may be from America but are desirable elsewhere.

A lot of it stems from infrastructure perception, for instance I am in South America a lot and many Americans that I communicate with think its like Cuba, Mexico or Haiti everywhere in South America.  

This is a two way street, my last trip to Israel I had more than one conversation with people asking me how I feel about all the danger in the US.  

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/13/18 at 06:19:27

Here's an example of what people are jealous of:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/theres-a-gofundme-dedicated-to-raising-...

Poor Kylie.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 05:12:39

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › USA, an 'almost' democracy

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.