WTB Flywheel (Read 71 times)
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

WTB Flywheel
07/11/18 at 18:57:12

On the subject of useless endeavors, I thought of a way to lighten a flywheel A la Dragbike Mike style, a lot faster than i did on a lathe.
Anyone have a flywheel laying around they don't need? There are a few cheap ones on Ebay, but I figured I'd ask here first.
thanks,
-Armen

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: WTB Flywheel
Reply #1 - 07/11/18 at 19:33:03

What are you up to this time dude ?

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #2 - 07/12/18 at 03:10:14

Did you see the ultra-tiny flywheel Mike did?
The other times I just spent forever turning the OD on a lathe. Wasted a lot of time, and threw metal swarf all over the place.
This time I clamped the flywheel in a vise, had the CNC drill 40, 1/4" holes in a circle with the holes almost touching, then ran a 1/4" end mill around to clean up the cut. Then gave the OD a final wipe on the lathe. Much less time and effort, much less mess.
Debating poking holes in the flywheel to allow me to hold it to torque the nut. Might just be lazy and use red Loctite on the threads and bias the nut with a rattle gun.
My only concern with the real light flywheel is that once I do the high compression 695 top end, engine braking might be a bit much, and the idle might not be as smooth.
One way to find out  Wink

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 07/12/18 at 03:31:39

Armen:

I have sent you all the full size flywheels that I have - but I do have 1 of your medium weight flywheels I could send back to you.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #4 - 07/12/18 at 18:43:06

Thanks Dave,
I made an ultra light flywheel. Wait til you have more stuff to ship back to me, then send the medium one.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 07/20/18 at 23:53:19

Engine braking not an issue on DRY pavement. Under hard decel & braking , forward weight transfer I can feel rear tire slipping. Dirt roads or wet pavement can get hairy till you learn how to use it. Dirt roads are fun , lightly lean into turn snap the throttle off and she drifts into turn and back on the gas as soon as you dare to keep the drift going. Wet roads are just as fun just not as predictable and requires a bit more caution when starting into the drift. Not having big horse power makes you carry more speed into turns , being precise with body control , downshifts , throttle control is a must. Oh did I leave out braking , I try not to brake sliding in , maybe some rear brake on the way out to control wheel spin cause I'm not backing off the WOT coming out of a turn /drift. Old racing blood still flows in my veins , vision & reaction time not what it used to be , but there is no better feeling than "The Perfect Slide". Lack of flywheel weight just makes it that much easier.  Cool

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #6 - 07/21/18 at 07:03:05

Well, I'll have to see how it goes. Honestly, your description doesn't make me warm and fuzzy. With a 695 high compression kit and the light flywheel, it could be exciting.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 07/23/18 at 05:57:37

I did the 695 too but only used the Web Cam Standard grind , just alittle more lift & duration than stock with a 36vm mic with some upgrades & pipe. It goes real good , just doesn't scare me. But it's a compromise between real quick & real fast if you get my drift. Still the funnest bike I've ever owned !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 10:34:52

General CategoryThe Marketplace › WTB Flywheel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.