raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: Great idea.....
Reply #15 - 07/12/18 at 09:25:25

Trippah wrote on 07/12/18 at 09:22:50:
Mn - Your story reinforces my belief in the belief in God; for many adults we come back to God when faced with a situation we feel we can't control.  Call it looking for help in all the right places; and belief is NOT a logical thing,  it is spiritual (making Pascal's Wager a bit useless).  

well stated, thank you Smiley

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 07/12/18 at 09:54:07

Ray, I have for pain a couple times taken a pain killer, teeth and I broke 2 ribs once. I have never taken them for more than a couple days because I do like them way too much, and I know that.

It's funny 34 years later i can still taste bourbon and feel its burn going down my throat if I think about it. I guess that never goes away.  It's funny and I imagine you understand this but the concept of having a couple beers has never appealed to me. I never wanted to do anything but be drunk, and the drunker the better.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #17 - 07/12/18 at 10:07:34

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/11/18 at 18:48:21:
I hope the idiots who made that mess don't move to Texas and vote for the same stewpidshitt that wrecked California.

Haven't a bunch, already arrived, and are living in Austin ?

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #18 - 07/12/18 at 10:28:13

MShipley wrote on 07/12/18 at 09:54:07:
Ray, I have for pain a couple times taken a pain killer, teeth and I broke 2 ribs once. I have never taken them for more than a couple days because I do like them way too much, and I know that.

It's funny 34 years later i can still taste bourbon and feel its burn going down my throat if I think about it. I guess that never goes away.  It's funny and I imagine you understand this but the concept of having a couple beers has never appealed to me. I never wanted to do anything but be drunk, and the drunker the better.

Yep, Huey Lewis nails the need in his song, eh  Smiley

I was all over the board, started with beer, but it couldn't deliver escape fast enough....
Whiskey/bourbon, harsh stuff.

I think what saved me from certain premature death was I was a lousy drunk.....
When I first went to AA, heard all these truly amazing testimonies of how far they sank out, and the road back, it just blew my mind....

I couldn't compete  Grin

I hid my friggen bottle, Goldschläger..... in the garage, a closet rummy.
I didn't crash my car, kill anyone, lose my job, house, wife, family....
Just a weak selfish little turdball who drank because the BIG BAD world scared him so  Cheesy

But the physical addiction is the same.
It weeds itself into a need, and the cycle begins.

I don't have so much, after 20 years, the fantasizing of how good a beer would taste, etc, no.....
But like I spoke re: drugs/pills, that simple euphoria of lifting the weight from my shoulders, makes no difference if its real, or imagined weight, the lifting I can really physically feel.

Ya know, as I type this out, a realization just accrued to me.
Many, many years ago I had 3 back surgeries, first one in my early 20's.
The last one, lat 20's, left me with what is called drop foot.
It has caused me to have to lift my leg up higher than normal, so my toes/front of my foot, do not get caught on something, causing me to trip.
It feels normal to me, as I have had this condition for the majority of my life....
But it is rather obvious to others, I have a condition that hampers my ability to walk, I can't run.....
It has thrown my whole gait out of whack, causing other issues, as my core and balance is no longer centered.....

I wonder if this euphoria I feel when taking a pain killer, is somehow lifting all that stuff too????
So. its not so much in my mind, that all is good and right, etc, but it has a real medicinal effect on my body as a whole?

I think I might have "stumbled" onto sumtin ( pun intended )  Grin

Oh well, a life of pain pills is NOT in my future, of that I am certain, but it does provide me with a little more possible insight into how all this masking and chemicals interact......  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
faffi

A.S.A.N.

Norway
Reply #19 - 07/12/18 at 14:53:21

I used to think in a similar manner, that it is just to stop what you are doing wrong and begin doing the right stuff. Like many of you, I dislike weakness; mine as well as that of others. However, we all have them, although they may differ greatly in how they manifest themselves. So while I find it very hard to respect addicts, I need to remind myself there are always reasons for why they turned that way. Could be they are physically disposed, or they could have suffered a traumatic childhood or any other reason.

We must also remember that nothing is harder than changing your behaviour. Which is why smokes with lung cancer continue to smoke and abusers abuse into death. Unless you see a benefit of changing behaviour that is big enough to outweigh the hardship of the change itself, it will not happen. Although I can still get upset by people throwing away their lives on stupid behaviour, I need to remind myself just how difficult it is from them not to.

But let's see this from a pure financial perspective. A homeless, workless addict cost society a lot of money. Some in form of welfare (at least here), but primary due to crime; the only way they can finance their addiction is by stealing and/or dealing. The former hurt innocent people, the latter bring more people into a world of addiction and more crime. Also, there is a substantial loss of tax income as well as revenue for shops that can be used to employ more people from unemployed members of a society.

Does it help to put them into jail? No. But it does cost a lot of money to keep them jailed. Also, once in jail, locked up with a bunch of other criminals, you are very unlikely to go straight after your stay behind bars. Instead, you are statistically a more hardened criminal.

So it is sound economy to help people live a straight life where they go to work every day. For the same reason, it makes financial sense to rehabilitate criminals instead of locking them up behind bars. Jails, for the most part, is there to deter and also to satisfy people's desire for revenge. But they do not work well for anything else. Well, not quite true; some people are too dangerous to be allowed to walk around in society and needs to be locked away. Often, though, they need mental care and not prison.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 07/12/18 at 15:38:41

"Cheaper.....how so?"

At the moment?"

No in the long-term.  The cost of repeated trips to the ED is far higher than needles that keep people cleaner over time.  

The cost of emergency medical care in the US is astronomical.  Every time an patient that needs to be detoxed (by law) comes with costs higher than that of a clean needle and the costs of distribution combined.  Clean needles are kind of like smoking reduction programs where the costs of cancer/heart condition treatment is compared to the costs of creating smoking cessation programs.  It typically cheaper to offer free smoking cessation and nicotine patches than it is to treat re-occurring heart problems in the long run.

I don't have the exact numbers anymore, but last time we looked them over just the admitting process could pay for about 220 needles at cost.  

This doesn't apply everywhere, costs and levels of addiction vary.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/16/24 at 07:16:48

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Great idea.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.