Send Topic Print
Handlebar grips (Read 174 times)
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Handlebar grips
07/10/18 at 02:27:29

Sorry if this seems like a silly newby question but my bike has had aftermarket bars fitted and the left hand grip does not look as though it has been fitted correctly. How are these fitted? I have tried to turn the chrome knob on the end but without getting really serious with it and possibly damaging it  I thought asking might be a better option at this stage
regards to all
Hiko

Hiko   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Handlebar grips
Reply #1 - 07/10/18 at 06:59:19

the chrome bar end is just pressed on.
or sometimes they glue it on.
it's plastic.

WWW   IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #2 - 07/11/18 at 21:30:16

Thanks for your reply I will have a crack at it

Hiko   IP Logged
NucleaRR
YaBB Newbies

Straight Shoota'

Murland
Reply #3 - 07/12/18 at 18:31:29

The grips are fitted to the handle bars differently for each side. The left, or clutch handle side is fit directly onto the metal. The rubber of the grip holds it in place. Sometimes glue is used but not necessary. For the right, or throttle side there is a throttle tube that is a sleeve that rides on top of the metal handle bar. The throttle tube typically has ridges that run the length of the tube, a rubber grip is fit over the tube and the rubber hugs and provides enough grip/ friction to move the throttle tube as is twisted.

Yours being aftermarket the caps on the ends may not be press-fit in place. On the stock bars, as Verslagen stated, they are. Are the grips stock to your knowledge?

If they are, you can try to remove the caps to be sure and then simply tap them back into place with a few light taps of a rubber mallet or cover the end with a folded piece of cloth and use a hammer. Tap lightly.

Easiest way I found to remove these is with a rubber strap wrench. My first time around I did not have my strap wrench with me so I used channel locks.

Trick is to not mar the plastic cap. To avoid this, take a piece of cloth or preferably leather, I used a pair of work gloves. Slide the cloth or glove over the cap, then adjust the channel locks so that they are grabbing the cap firmly, make sure you do this perpendicular to the handlebar. Essentially like you are trying to turn a nut or bolt. Then wiggle the cap clockwise and counter-clockwise while pulling away from the handle bar. Cap should pop of very easily.

With all that said, you might be able to just tap the left one a little to get it to seat properly.

If you find that the grip needs to be moved in or out along the handlebar there are a few tricks for that. Let us know and we can help with that.

2005 S40, Raptor mod, flipped risers, Biltwell grips.
Her name is Maila Nurmi but when I am done with her she will be Vampira.
  IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #4 - 07/13/18 at 02:45:05

Thanks guys for your help with this What I had was the end cap, the rubber grip and then a gap before the inboard chrome end of about 8mm
using your methods I got the end cap off and found the rubber grip was
glued to the bar. I however managed to slide the inboard chrome end out to close up the gap and all looks much better now.
 Many thanks for your help

Hiko   IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #5 - 07/17/18 at 10:55:17

Who is the guru for removing the left side grip. Mine seems to be just like the throttle side except that is glued in place instead of sliding to facilitate the throttle.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/17/18 at 12:35:49

norm92de wrote on 07/17/18 at 10:55:17:
Who is the guru for removing the left side grip. Mine seems to be just like the throttle side except that is glued in place instead of sliding to facilitate the throttle.

Yes, most are glued on.
wd-40 can help with the glue.
air pressure will help separate the grip from the bar.
small screwdrivers will help separate the grip if air doesn't work.
a knife works if you have a replacement.

WWW   IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #7 - 07/17/18 at 13:25:12

Versy,
My bike appears to have more or less identical grips on either side except for the extension that pulls the throttle cable. The right side, of course, is free to rotate and the left is glued on. Both sides are identical in construction except as mentioned. I need a fool proof method of dissolving the glue without ruining the grip. Suzuki sells them as assemblies with the rubber already installed.

I want to fit bar/end mirrors by sliding the grip part in about 1/2" on either side. Then clamping the fitting over the bars.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #8 - 07/17/18 at 14:12:46

norm92de wrote on 07/17/18 at 13:25:12:
Versy,
My bike appears to have more or less identical grips on either side except for the extension that pulls the throttle cable. The right side, of course, is free to rotate and the left is glued on. Both sides are identical in construction except as mentioned. I need a fool proof method of dissolving the glue without ruining the grip. Suzuki sells them as assemblies with the rubber already installed.

I want to fit bar/end mirrors by sliding the grip part in about 1/2" on either side. Then clamping the fitting over the bars.

If they are stock grips then they look identical on the outside, however the right grip will have a larger internal diameter to accommodate the plastic throttle tube. Most aftermarket grips also have different IDs.

WD40 works well to dissolve the glue on the left one. As for the right one (if I remember correctly), if you take the end cap off, and loosen the bar-clamps on the control box, the throttle tube can slide in further.

However, on the stock bars, there is a locating pin cast into the inside of the control boxes. They seat into hole in the handlebar. I, and others here, have ground off that locating pin, allowing freedom of placement along the bar. I've had no problems with the box clamping on tight enough. Others have also reported no problem with this little 'mod'.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 07/17/18 at 14:15:47

I've used this method several times and only once did I resort to cutting it off.
If you can get a small screwdriver in between the grip and bar, you can do it.
I used 3 screwdrivers equally spaced and twisted till it worked off.

If you're moving it in 1/2" then I go in that direction.

But don't be a fool and think it will work every time.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 07/17/18 at 14:18:26

IslandRoad wrote on 07/17/18 at 14:12:46:
WD40 works well to dissolve the glue on the left one. As for the right one (if I remember correctly), if you take the end cap off, and loosen the bar-clamps on the control box, the throttle tube can slide in further.

However, on the stock bars, there is a locating pin cast into the inside of the control boxes. They seat into hole in the handlebar. I, and others here, have ground off that locating pin, allowing freedom of placement along the bar. I've had no problems with the box clamping on tight enough. Others have also reported no problem with this little 'mod'.

No glue on the right side, just move the control in after you grind off the locating pin.
No worries my bikes are pin-less.

WWW   IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #11 - 07/17/18 at 14:55:25

I have long ago removed the locating pins from my switches.

For the life of me I cannot see any difference between the left and right sides.  I have removed many rubber grips from bikes but removing the rubber is not the issue here. I believe there is a plastic tube inside the left side just like the right.

I think the WD 40 idea will be what is needed as long as it really will dissolve the glue without hurting the rubber grip.

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #12 - 07/17/18 at 21:56:05

Newbs!!!

STOP WITH THE SCREWDRIVERS IMMEDIATELY! !

Cut up a metal clothes hanger
Insert the rod of clothes hanger between grip and the handle bar
Bend it out once then again forming it in a Z pattern
Spin it like a helicopter

Grip will come off, I've done this method many times

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #13 - 07/18/18 at 04:19:56

Yoshi wrote on 07/17/18 at 21:56:05:
Newbs!!! ...

Touche!

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
NucleaRR
YaBB Newbies

Straight Shoota'

Murland
Reply #14 - 07/19/18 at 15:57:34

Another trick that I used was a flat piece of metal. I had some old cheap wiper blades the ones with the stainless metal strips that run the length of the blade. Disassemble the metal from the blade. You can cut it shorter if you want. Then stick a pair of vice grips on it and slide it between the grip and the metal. Move it in and out to separate the glue. Next take a compressor with a nozzle on it and blow air into the grip. Blow the air towards the outside. You may have to stretch the rubber and pull up on it to get the nozzle in there. Give it short blast around the grip and pull and twist it slowly working it off. If you don’t have a compressor, canned air works also. And if you don’t have old wiper blades, stop by the auto parts store and ask for the trash one from replacements.

In your case since you not taking it all the way off just use the metal strip to separate the glue, then blow toward the bike and pull/ twist on the inside of the grip to work it in that inch you need.

2005 S40, Raptor mod, flipped risers, Biltwell grips.
Her name is Maila Nurmi but when I am done with her she will be Vampira.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 03:10:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Handlebar grips

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.