raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Breaks my heart......
07/01/18 at 14:45:49

I do not understand this at all.....

Well, that is what I tell myself, anyway.
Yet I kill crab, and fish, and eat slaughtered animals.

Is everything about degree, justification, or?

Would I be justified in killing another human being if they were in the act of killing others?

Kinda deep question, eh?  Huh

The article:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/07/01/american-hunters-images-her-black-gir...

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Breaks my heart......
Reply #1 - 07/01/18 at 19:15:48

Quote:
Would I be justified in killing another human being if they were in the act of killing others?

Depends on who the "others" were, and why they were being killed, I suppose.

In the absence of some absolute moral authority as the arbiter of right and wrong, anything can be justified.  

Quote:
 Kinda deep question, eh?

Fundamental ethical question, in fact.

I'm not sure what it's got to do with giraffes though.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 07/01/18 at 19:26:55

oldNslow wrote on 07/01/18 at 19:15:48:
Quote:

Depends on who the "others" were, and why they were being killed, I suppose.

In the absence of some absolute moral authority as the arbiter of right and wrong, anything can be justified.  

Quote:
 Kinda deep question, eh?

Fundamental ethical question, in fact.

I'm not sure what it's got to do with giraffes though.

Well I judge her based on my own feelings.
Have I been indoctrinated by articles/movies, etc, from Bambi to the same talking points at the San Diego Zoo....
50 plus years ago they said while I watched their animal presentations, another 10 acres of tropical rainforests habit was just removed for a parking lot  Wink destroyed.

Do I look at that awesome animal and say why?

I know growing up in SoCal I fished a lot....
Those same fish, that I caught, the stock is practically gone.
We do have a impact, that is a certainty.

So, can I rightly cast stones if I live in a glass house myself?

Edit: who is, and what determines, moral authority?
Is it universal, cultural, societal, or what?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 07/01/18 at 20:01:20

If you are conflicted about the morality or ethics of trophy hunting vs. killing animals for food, I get that. It's a dilemma a lot of people struggle with I think. But your question was about killing humans.

Quote:

Giraffes are not human beings. Neither are the animals that humans have used for food for millenia. And of course the non-human inhabitants of the planet kill and eat one another also.

I guess I just don't see the connection between your question and the debate over whether it was or was not OK for the lady to shoot the giraffe.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 07/01/18 at 21:22:39

oldNslow wrote on 07/01/18 at 20:01:20:
If you are conflicted about the morality or ethics of trophy hunting vs. killing animals for food, I get that. It's a dilemma a lot of people struggle with I think. But your question was about killing humans.

Quote:

Giraffes are not human beings. Neither are the animals that humans have used for food for millenia. And of course the non-human inhabitants of the planet kill and eat one another also.

I guess I just don't see the connection between your question and the debate over whether it was or was not OK for the lady to shoot the giraffe.

At its core, hunting was for survival, food, yes?
Not "sport", tho it did become that later, to many.

The connection was survival, killing another human, before they kill me.
Does that help?

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 07/02/18 at 06:30:11

Quote:
The connection was survival, killing another human, before they kill me.
Does that help?

Yes.

Killing to defend one's own life is an absolute right, IMO.
Killing to defend someone else's life may or may not be morally justified but the right to do that is not absolute.
Killing animals for food(survival) is also an absolute right. Humans evolved to be omnivores. We eat the flesh of other animals , as well as he other foods that we are capable of eating to sustain life.
Killing animals for sport or trophys is another issue entirely and is open to debate. Hence the social  media sh*tstorm over this specific animal and similar ones in the recent past.

I can tell you what I think, but unless you and I agree on where the moral authority for determining whether such an activity is right or wrong comes from, all that really amounts to is what I THINK.

Regardless of whatever argument those on either side of the issue try to claim justify their point of view, there will never be an answer that satisfies everyone.

Unless of course the fundamental question is answered first.

Is there some absolute moral authority for what we do.?   And if so, where, or from whom, or from what, does it come?.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/02/18 at 07:08:48

I enjoyed reading that

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/02/18 at 07:17:52

Killing to defend one's own life is an absolute right, IMO.
Killing to defend someone else's life may or may not be morally justified but the right to do that is not absolute.
Killing animals for food(survival) is also an absolute right. Humans evolved to be omnivores. We eat the flesh of other animals , as well as he other foods that we are capable of eating to sustain life.
Killing animals for sport or trophys is another issue entirely and is open to debate. Hence the social  media sh*tstorm over this specific animal and similar ones in the recent past.

I can tell you what I think, but unless you and I agree on where the moral authority for determining whether such an activity is right or wrong comes from, all that really amounts to is what I THINK.

Regardless of whatever argument those on either side of the issue try to claim justify their point of view, there will never be an answer that satisfies everyone.

Unless of course the fundamental question is answered first.

Is there some absolute moral authority for what we do.?   And if so, where, or from whom, or from what, does it come?.

[/quote] It is interesting that no matter which side we are on we place an Intrinsic value on humans above all the other life on earth. We claim to have inalienable rights. We feel we should be treated Justly just because we are humans.

So what is it that gives us this Intrinsic vale? If we are just an accident which rose from chance, time, matter. Why do we have any more value than ants?

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/02/18 at 08:14:48

"Would I be justified in killing another human being if they were in the act of killing others?"

Maybe.  If they are committing a crime sure, if they are a US soldier acting on orders to destroy an enemy then I'd say no.

For instance if a cop kills a man trying to murder a lady the cop is justified, however killing the cop because he's in the act of killing another isn't.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #9 - 07/02/18 at 08:55:37

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/02/18 at 07:08:48:
I enjoyed reading that

Yeah, I did too....

So, can we investigate moral authority?

From where does it derive?

Lets back off a wee bit, first, while I try and exhibit the fallacy of man, believing he has the capacity to assign authority, to anything....

I suspect his motivation is tainted, toward his desired results.

If you recall, I have shared  this quote: We lie loudest when we lie to ourselves. (Eric Hoffer)

I read that in my teens, I have often used it to self scrutiny, even when I didn't want to  Angry

So, if we default (our) actions, to a threshold based on moral authority, as just cause, for societal behavior, how is that universally acceptable when folks claim there is NO societal (beliefs) absolutes.....

Using a argument based with a absolute?    

How can we say we believe in free speech, yet put restrictions, AND punishment, societal retaliations, upon that speak we don't like?

Its not free then, is it?

Just another feel good about self, justifications, to enforce MY wants, needs, beliefs....

Is that honesty, or deception based on manipulation, of others?

Look at the Eric Hoffer quote again.....
Within its understanding is freedom, yes?

Can any of you grant me freedom of truth, if I myself, do not embrace it, first?

Anybody wanna field these questions?

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/02/18 at 09:24:38

Truth is simultaneous absolute yet relative.
What seems a contradictory statement is not when you consider absolute truth sometimes being clearly known and other times dependent upon your point of view.  

Generally, and this is very general, the society you find yourself in determines truth. However, for example, Palestinians routinely use suicide bombers or even children loaded with explosives against their enemy, the Jews, and celebrate that. Using their moral compass, that’s acceptable. However, in the greater societal family, that is not.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #11 - 07/02/18 at 09:31:52

society you find yourself in determines truth.

That is trouble awaiting implementation, is it not?

Is honesty and truth linked?

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/02/18 at 09:42:41

I would say yes.

if I pass along inaccurate information to you while 100% believing that it was true, does that make me dishonest? I don't think so. The definition of a lie, at least the way that I have always viewed it is, passing along inaccurate information purposely based upon a selfish motivation.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/02/18 at 09:44:22

in my view on the giraffe  for example is as long as it's not an endangered species or there is some compelling reason otherwise, I don't have a problem with it. But then I've hunted things before, it doesn't bother me or freak me out like others. I'm not gonna pull a jimmy Kimmel and start crying.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #14 - 07/02/18 at 10:13:19

WebsterMark wrote on 07/02/18 at 09:42:41:
I would say yes.

if I pass along inaccurate information to you while 100% believing that it was true, does that make me dishonest? I don't think so. The definition of a lie, at least the way that I have always viewed it is, passing along inaccurate information purposely based upon a selfish motivation.

I agree IF you believe it’s true, but only after your belief was held up freely to investigation, and scrutiny, after any objection by another who believers otherwise....

Because we don’t allow such, with PC a good example, truth is assigned out of ignorance.
When in fact it should be discussed, debated, openly, solely on merit, not projections, assumptions, etc, but discussed in factual realities.....
As much as possible.
Demagoguery is a tool used my the intellectually lazy and for devious reason.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 04:35:38

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Breaks my heart......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.