Send Topic Print
Clicking (Read 144 times)
hinow41
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Clicking
06/29/18 at 13:12:10

I have a 1996 savage 650. Put the bike on a tender the whole winter in the garage. This summer I took it out and it wont crank, clicks but wont turn over. Thought it was the starter solenoid. Jumped the two post with a screw driver bike started right up ran fine. Got a new solenoid bike still clicks when hitting the starter button. tested the solenoid when you put 12volts to the little post it clicks and works.
Any suggestions? A friend said it might be the decompression relay Any way to test it?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Clicking
Reply #1 - 06/29/18 at 13:41:51

the quick check is to put it in a tall gear and bump the bike forward until you can operate the decomp lever (top left side) by hand.  That indicates it's on the exhaust stroke.
now press the start button (don't stutter, hold it down) and if it starts, yes it's the decomp.
It's possible that it's adjusted way too tight.  the decomp needs some freeplay or it won't have enough gumption to pull the lever.
But it can be adjusted to loose too.
Start with too loose, the only time it won't start is when the engine stops on the compression stroke.
When it's too loose, it will start on the 1st rev otherwise.
Then tighten until it starts on the 2nd rev.

Also there are decomp adjustment instructions in the tech section.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 06/29/18 at 16:06:07

If it's not the  decomp solenoid, it maybe just the starter motor, or the starter solenoid not having a good/ clean grounds.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Tippyman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/29/18 at 18:24:08

Put your hand on the solenoid. It should click a second before it tries to crank.

IP Logged
hinow41
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/30/18 at 10:13:58

The decomp works, After some testing it looks like the yellow and black wire going to the starter solenoid is not sending a signal. When the button is pushed isnt this wire suppose to send some voltage to the solenoid?

IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Reply #5 - 06/30/18 at 10:47:11

had something like that. even installed a 20amp bypass switch across the solenoid for starting. then, when I had the leaky tank off, air blasted everything, wiggled all the connections just because, and noticed later the starter switch worked again??? fyi.   Huh

Mich Cdr II 140/90R & 100/90F, raised seat, windscreen, clubman bars, T-Kat brace, Raptor, HD 64707-08, thumb decomp,
  IP Logged
Johnny57

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minneapolis
Reply #6 - 07/01/18 at 10:49:48

Page 244-246 of Clymers will give instructions for testing the Decompression CONTROL UNIT which I suspect is your problem.  The Automatic Decompression Control and Starter system is described on Page 244.  There is both a Decompression Solenoid which is adjustable and a Decompression CONTROL UNIT which is on the frame under the seat.  Test the Timer portions of the CONTROL UNIT as per instructions.  This might be the problem.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 07/01/18 at 18:40:56

Lets just look at the problem backwards -The starter isn't turning ! there is only three things to prevent that ,the starter solenoid ( which we can assume is good being new) ,the starter solenoid not getting power from the starter push button (contacts dirty?/ on it ,the clutch switch, sidestand switch -only if your not in neutral , and lastly the decomp controller - which is sealed and the least likely to fail. ) the battery weak/or the ground cable connection  weak ,where it's bolted to the motor not carrying enough amps to turn the starter. While it's nice to have the decomp work, most of the time it's not needed, nor would it stop the starter from turning unless the motor is on the compression stroke,( and if it did the cable at the starter would feel very warn) and you could roll the bike forward in gear and pop the clutch to bump it past TDC.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 07/02/18 at 00:46:34

Jumped the two post with a screw driver bike started right up ran fine.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 07/02/18 at 06:53:18

Yes JOG, that's what I read too ,But which two posts did he jump? (with one screwdriver?) That's why I mentioned power to the starter solenoid, and it's path through the starter button, sidestand switch and clutch switch.If the bike started that way the kill switch has to be working, the clutch and sidestand switches can be bypassed ,one at a time ,if the starter still didn't run that would point to the starter button being the problem (dirty contacts ?) The circuit also passes through the decomp but the odds are the decomp isn't the problem, but the starter button could also be checked with an ohm meter if all was good then the problem would have to be the decomp relay . but why buy one if it's just a simple switch problem. Did he test the old starter solenoid, or just buy a new one? I'd suspect the clutch switch, most people don't think about the wear it sees, opening and closing each time the clutch lever is moved . Mine failed and I bypassed it years ago.( bet it's made the stealerships a lot of money).

IP Logged
hinow41
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/02/18 at 12:30:47

batman wrote on 07/01/18 at 18:40:56:
Lets just look at the problem backwards -The starter isn't turning ! there is only three things to prevent that ,the starter solenoid ( which we can assume is good being new) ,the starter solenoid not getting power from the starter push button (contacts dirty?/ on it ,the clutch switch, sidestand switch -only if your not in neutral , and lastly the decomp controller - which is sealed and the least likely to fail. ) the battery weak/or the ground cable connection  weak ,where it's bolted to the motor not carrying enough amps to turn the starter. While it's nice to have the decomp work, most of the time it's not needed, nor would it stop the starter from turning unless the motor is on the compression stroke,( and if it did the cable at the starter would feel very warn) and you could roll the bike forward in gear and pop the clutch to bump it past TDC.

The bike will start no problem if I bump start it. Also if I put a screw driver across the top of the starter solenoid. The owner of the bike got a new starter solenoid, Still wont start. after a lot of cleaning contacts and probing around starter button checks out. I will test the clutch switch next.  I got the battery checked out and its fine.  
I just need this bike off my lift lol

IP Logged
Johnny57

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minneapolis
Reply #11 - 07/02/18 at 13:34:01

If you hear the click then the battery, starter button, all safety switches, decomp solenoid and Timer I portion of the decomp controller must be working. The click is the decomp opening the exhaust valve. Test the timer II portion of the decomp controller because that is what completes the circuit to the starter relay and then the starter turns.  I still think it is Timer II portion of the decomp controller.  But I have been wrong before.

IP Logged
Johnny57

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minneapolis
Reply #12 - 07/02/18 at 13:41:14

Batman:  The starter solenoid does not get activated by the starter switch.  The starter switch activates Timer II portion of the controller which completes circuit to the starter solenoid.  Of 5 bikes I have seen 3 decomp controllers that were bad.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 07/02/18 at 18:21:48

Johnny57. both timers are ACTIVATED by the starter button, but POWERED straight from the battery . the decompression control module is always  powered , even when the bike is not running. the starter button just sends a signal to both timers (relays) that control the current  flow to the solenoids.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 07/03/18 at 06:27:20

I have mentioned the ground before ,the ground (at the engine case , under the bolt about two inches back in ,above the oil level sight glass ) should be pulled and cleaned it has to complete the circuit for the starter motor back to the battery ground post. I would check this first before worrying about the decomp, I haven't had to replace mine in 23 years.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 07:48:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clicking

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.