New SCJ.......... (Read 79 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
New SCJ..........
06/28/18 at 09:08:59

I won't pretend I am very knowledgeable about it, I'm not......
All I can say is I believe the court should be diverse, and slow to act.
By that I mean, and I believe this is where they seem to have become just another extension of any given party.....where NONE should exist, as the constitution was written for ALL of us, NOT for one party platforms.

OK, I am wading in too deep already, almost over my head, but I believe they need to be very narrow, and strict, in their rulings, and rule according to written constitutional amendments, it should example as CLOSELY AS POSSIBLE...... the EXACT wording of the law, NOT, a interpretation of what a jurist thinks the/a founding father(s) "might" have meant.

Think about it, the founder(s) had no knowledge of current affairs, none...
They wrote with experiences of "failed" governing practices, and scripted ways to "hopefully" circumvent those very problems, into our Constitution.

So, to build your premise on speculation is NOT sound footing to begin with, and you want our HIGHEST court to rule as such?
That is a fallacy ripe for failure of our democracy.

If the amendments need tweaking, adjusting, etc, to accommodate the "times" then that is done legislatively, where we ALL get a say (hopefully) by who we elected to represent us.    

If you are against the current leaders, and administrations, at ANY time, because of your beliefs, and you think that is cause enough to "rebel."

I suggest you find another country that mirrors your beliefs, for if everyone adopted YOUR reasoning, then mankind shall NEVER, know societal peace.....ever.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: New SCJ..........y
Reply #1 - 06/28/18 at 10:34:52

Diversity isn't a goal.
It's nothing of value in and of itself.
If they are all pink with purple dots, who cares? All they need to do is
Read the constitution and apply it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Re: New SCJ..........
Reply #2 - 06/28/18 at 11:14:05

raydawg wrote on 06/28/18 at 09:08:59:
I won't pretend I am very knowledgeable about it, I'm not......
All I can say is I believe the court should be diverse, and slow to act.
By that I mean, and I believe this is where they seem to have become just another extension of any given party.....where NONE should exist, as the constitution was written for ALL of us, NOT for one party platforms.

OK, I am wading in too deep already, almost over my head, but I believe they need to be very narrow, and strict, in their rulings, and rule according to written constitutional amendments, it should example as CLOSELY AS POSSIBLE...... the EXACT wording of the law, NOT, a interpretation of what a jurist thinks the/a founding father(s) "might" have meant.

Think about it, the founder(s) had no knowledge of current affairs, none...
They wrote with experiences of "failed" governing practices, and scripted ways to "hopefully" circumvent those very problems, into our Constitution.

So, to build your premise on speculation is NOT sound footing to begin with, and you want our HIGHEST court to rule as such?
That is a fallacy ripe for failure of our democracy.

If the amendments need tweaking, adjusting, etc, to accommodate the "times" then that is done legislatively, where we ALL get a say (hopefully) by who we elected to represent us.    

If you are against the current leaders, and administrations, at ANY time, because of your beliefs, and you think that is cause enough to "rebel."

I suggest you find another country that mirrors your beliefs, for if everyone adopted YOUR reasoning, then mankind shall NEVER, know societal peace.....ever.

for the most part, well said.  

however, when you say "They wrote with experiences of "failed" governing practices, and scripted ways to "hopefully" circumvent those very problems, into our Constitution. "  with the "hopefully" well, that in and of itself IS speculation isn't it?   Like on the founders' part, they were speculating that those problems would be circumvented by their words right?

my only concern with the new SCOTUS, I totally understand and accept that it'll be conservative, that is what it is, the issue I have is with Mitch McConnell's total hypocrisy on this issue, it is an Election year, he held up Merrick Garland's confirmation because it was an election year and he thought the people, US, had a right to be heard, Mitch should follow that same rule HE made up.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: New SCJ..........y
Reply #3 - 06/28/18 at 13:06:27

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/28/18 at 10:34:52:
Diversity isn't a goal.
It's nothing of value in and of itself.
If they are all pink with purple dots, who cares? All they need to do is
Read the constitution and apply it.

Jog, folks see things differently, that is a verifiable fact.

When I say diversity, the context is in having folks with different experiences, the ability to offer up their take/understanding, as it appears to them, nothing more.

Indeed, the final outcome/judgement, should be that which come the closes to meeting the "known" meaning, of the amendment, WITHOUT having to make it fit......

I will give you a personal example how folks view/hear thing, and interpret it differently.
Also, its a timely story as my sober birthday is just around the corner  Grin

This involves me, and my wife.
I've no doubt she loves me.
I can honestly say she did more to make our union work than I ever did, not even close.
I can say I believe she was the better parent.

Now, back when my sobriety was only a few years successful, I thought I was pretty smart.
I gave myself WAY TOO MUCH CREDIT, for having kicked this bad habit out of my life....
I remember going out to dinner with her back then, I use to ALWAYS use that event to justify my drinking, like socially......nut'n wrong with that, right?

Well, she would often ask if it would bother me, if she ordered a drink?

I remember wanting to lash out at her with accusations that, WTF, you think I am that F'N weak that you having a drink will send me back out of control.....???

IS THAT WHAT YOU THINK OF ME....IS IT?

I would have, prolly, if we had been alone, but being in public, I said, "No, of course not." as I seethed inside me......

It took a few more years of self reflecting and processing, to come to a different "interpretation" of what she said, and what it REALLY meant.

Thus, she was saying this, now in my words, which I can understand....

"Honey, I would like to try a glass of this wine, it sounds so good, however, if it makes you feel uncomfortable, in anyway, I needn't order it."

So Jog, you see, she cared about ME....FIRST, than she thought of her own enjoyment.

Yet I went 180 degrees with understanding the "intent" because of my OWN BIAS.....

Does this make any sense now, in why I believe folks with different life experiences bring MORE to the equation that 9 folks like me drinking and running around drunk in speedos?  Wink

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 06/28/18 at 13:08:43

however, when you say "They wrote with experiences of "failed" governing practices, and scripted ways to "hopefully" circumvent those very problems, into our Constitution. "  with the "hopefully" well, that in and of itself IS speculation isn't it?   Like on the founders' part, they were speculating that those problems would be circumvented by their words right?

Yes, absolutely....... certainty, future wise, is never attainable.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/30/18 at 04:39:03

The Supreme Court has too much perceived power as it is. The idea one person can be the swing vote that "cements" a right into permanent existence is ridiculous.

Really, the idea that we have a balance of powers is a superficial explanation. Congress is ultimately the top and has the final say, but it today's world, we've got this idea the court does.

Congress can re-write laws and are ultimately answerable to the People every two years. They can take the lead on Amendments and drive State participation, they can vote to object Court nominees or even impeach a President. Actually, Congress could impeach a President for nominating judges they don't like. They can impeach a President for any reason. That's why the phrase high crimes and misdemeanors is used.

Point is, I'm thrilled Trump gets another shot at this and maybe one more before 2020. I'd love Roe v Wade to get overturned but I doubt it will. At best, we'll get changes that allow individual states to implement common sense restrictions.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #6 - 06/30/18 at 08:59:26

Common sense restrictions seems plausible given that birth control allows for so many options nowadays.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/03/18 at 05:31:57

The Supreme Court has too much perceived power as it is. The idea one person can be the swing vote that "cements" a right into permanent existence is ridiculous.

Really, the idea that we have a balance of powers is a superficial explanation. Congress is ultimately the top and has the final say, but it today's world, we've got this idea the court does.

Congress can re-write laws and are ultimately answerable to the People every two years. They can take the lead on Amendments and drive State participation, they can vote to object Court nominees or even impeach a President. Actually, Congress could impeach a President for nominating judges they don't like. They can impeach a President for any reason. That's why the phrase high crimes and misdemeanors is used.

Circling back to this: why do we think the Court is the final arbitrator? We are, aren't we? Or has the media, which wears the same jerseys as the liberals, purposely or sub-consciously forced the message that once the Court rules on something, that's it, it's final.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #8 - 07/03/18 at 08:44:47

WebsterMark wrote on 07/03/18 at 05:31:57:

Circling back to this: why do we think the Court is the final arbitrator? We are, aren't we? Or has the media, which wears the same jerseys as the liberals, purposely or sub-consciously forced the message that once the Court rules on something, that's it, it's final.  

Ok Web, let say then, they, folks here legally, one way or the other, muster the power to change laws/requirements of lets say, you needn't be a naturalized citizen to be president, etc....

You cool with that?

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/03/18 at 09:01:09

if it followed the prescribed procedure, wouldn't matter if I was cool with it or not, that's the new law of the land.

....and that scenario you described will likely happen within 20 years I'd say. Like I've said, the Right is winning the battle now. General Trump will keep the enemy at bay until 2020 or 2024, but beyond that, I can't say. The Left will ultimately win the war.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #10 - 07/03/18 at 09:30:08

WebsterMark wrote on 07/03/18 at 09:01:09:
if it followed the prescribed procedure, wouldn't matter if I was cool with it or not, that's the new law of the land.

....and that scenario you described will likely happen within 20 years I'd say. Like I've said, the Right is winning the battle now. General Trump will keep the enemy at bay until 2020 or 2024, but beyond that, I can't say. The Left will ultimately win the war.

I agree, biblically.......

It is a precursor to the new world order.
Folks pushing for this enlightening have no idea its their own demise they sponsor.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/03/18 at 14:26:19

WebsterMark wrote on 07/03/18 at 05:31:57:

Dude,

the court upholds the rule of law, the constitution, so that illegal laws can be challenged BY US the PEOPLE and rejected.

we are not a nation ruled by men, we are ruled by law, those laws are VETTED via the courts.

and no, it's not final if it's ruled on by the court, plenty of court decisions have later been overturned in later courts, or by constitutional amendments

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/03/18 at 14:29:42

"General Trump".....

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 07/03/18 at 14:35:49

LostArtist wrote on 07/03/18 at 14:29:42:

"General Trump".....  

He's a five a$$ed general.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 12:26:18

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › New SCJ..........

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.