Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Gun sign implementation at a medical center (Read 370 times)
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gun sign implementation at a medical center
06/28/18 at 06:00:12

No firearms allowed signs were put up at a medical center that used to allow conceal carry on site, but not open carry.

One thing about locations like this is the consistent threats and violence staff deal with, especially in emergency rooms.  The ICU is an area of concern as well as it is common (where I worked it averages 6 times a year) for patient relatives to threaten staff with statements like:

"If my mother dies so do you." or "I will have anyone that doesn't keep my father alive murdered"  

In the ER a 16 year old drunk patient threatened a staff member by stating he would "rape you in all three holes".

So staff are allowed to protect themselves, unfortunately a staff member would carry a pistol in a small pack on his waist that was unzipped.  Multiple requests for him to keep his weapon concealed resulted in him indicating that he has a right and that the medical center cant do anything about it.  He was terminated for violating the companies policy on the open carry of weapons.  (elderly patients can get confused, and they call security over a man in their house with a gun etc.)

The hospital, as preparation for a lawsuit posted no-weapon signs including firearms which then by CO law prohibited conceal carry.  The signs were not put up to discourage criminals but to mitigate future lawsuits.  Lawsuits are presented weekly, threats about every other month.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Gun sign implementation at a medical center
Reply #1 - 07/09/18 at 05:10:50

I was able to meet with the local school board this past week.

The signs located on school property were implemented district-wide in 2000, just after Columbine.  Firearms were listed in the already existing "No weapons" policy that wasn't strictly enforced.  

I asked if anyone felt that the signs have prevented any shootings on school property over the past 18 years.  100% of staff said no, and they agreed to do a small voluntary survey for 8th grade and above asking simple Yes/No questions regarding if they feel that signs have increased their safety.

I notice that a number of people use the argument that signs do not increase safety, which I believe is true.  However I do not think that signs were implemented to increase safety to begin with, and I am not sure that many people believe that signs are preventing gun violence.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/09/18 at 08:42:19

Why are you so literal?
The signs only exist because of a law.
And since the signs are without function other than to advertise the vulnerability of the people who are behind it, the law that the sign represents is stupid

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/09/18 at 10:14:09

There's discussion that Millenials think signs eliminate firearm presence in all capacities.  That signs will keep shooters from entering, and that no firearm has been or ever will enter an area that is posted.  

I feel this is inaccurate, I do not think Millenials perceive a sign with safety but my feelings aren't valid information.  A survey is more valid as it will provide insight through data and not through imagined ideas of how youth think.  

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #4 - 07/09/18 at 14:05:31

Eegore wrote on 06/28/18 at 06:00:12:
 No firearms allowed signs were put up at a medical center that used to allow conceal carry on site, but not open carry.  One thing about locations like this is the consistent threats and violence staff deal with, especially in emergency rooms.  The ICU is an area of concern as well as it is common (where I worked it averages 6 times a year) for patient relatives to threaten staff with statements like:"If my mother dies so do you." or "I will have anyone that doesn't keep my father alive murdered"   In the ER a 16 year old drunk patient threatened a staff member by stating he would "rape you in all three holes".  So staff are allowed to protect themselves, unfortunately a staff member would carry a pistol in a small pack on his waist that was unzipped.  Multiple requests for him to keep his weapon concealed resulted in him indicating that he has a right and that the medical center cant do anything about it.  He was terminated for violating the companies policy on the open carry of weapons.  (elderly patients can get confused, and they call security over a man in their house with a gun etc.)  The hospital, as preparation for a lawsuit posted no-weapon signs including firearms which then by CO law prohibited conceal carry.  The signs were not put up to discourage criminals but to mitigate future lawsuits.  Lawsuits are presented weekly, threats about every other month.

Understand, the reason for the hospital to put up, ‘no gun’ signs.
No one wants a son, saying to a doctor,
 “You save my moms life or I will shoot you”
And having the means to carry it out.

Yet, will a, ’sign’, stop that son from carrying ?

Your statement: “…unfortunately a staff member would carry a pistol in a small pack on his waist that was unzipped.  Multiple requests for him to keep his weapon concealed resulted in him indicating …”
I am taking the, ‘A’, to mean a single person.
So because of one persons refusal to follow the companies policy, all the rest are, NOT, allowed to defend themselves.

Your statement: “…The hospital, as preparation for a lawsuit posted no-weapon signs including firearms which then by CO law prohibited conceal carry….”
That will then, supposedly, prevent, good and bad people from having a firearm.

Again, understand why the sign, to, perhaps, stop the son, from doing, ‘… I will kill you’.  
Because a, ’sign says’, it prevents a CC, or open, from going in.  
It also, prevents a employee, from defending themselves.
Who do you think will comply with the ’sign’, the son, who’s mom is suppose to be all right, or the Doctor/staff ?

Does not look like this policy, is to protect, Lives, it looks like it is to protect, money.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/09/18 at 14:50:04

"Does not look like this policy, is to protect, Lives, it looks like it is to protect, money."

Yes.  I stated: "The signs were not put up to discourage criminals but to mitigate future lawsuits."

The "not put up to discourage criminals" section was to indicate that criminals would not be discouraged.  The "mitigate future lawsuits" section was to indicate monetary savings.

I was aiming to indicate that no gun signs are most likely not intended to stop guns, or increase safety, or to physically protect anything, even though there seems to be that argument.  

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/09/18 at 14:53:18

"So because of one persons refusal to follow the companies policy, all the rest are, NOT, allowed to defend themselves"

They are allowed to defend themselves.  They are not allowed to conceal carry.  The most prudent action would be to change locations to a facility that allows firearms to be carried by staff.

"Again, understand why the sign, to, perhaps, stop the son, from doing, ‘… I will kill you’.  "

Incorrect.  The signage was not placed to stop people from making threats, or to stop them from entering with a firearm.

I was attempting to indicate that nobody has stated that they believe a sign will stop threats, guns or anything of that sort.  Nobody has stated thus far that they think a sign will stop crime.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #7 - 07/09/18 at 15:24:40

Eegore wrote on 07/09/18 at 14:53:18:
"So because of one persons refusal to follow the companies policy, all the rest are, NOT, allowed to defend themselves"
 They are allowed to defend themselves.  They are not allowed to conceal carry.  The most prudent action would be to change locations to a facility that allows firearms to be carried by staff."Again, understand why the sign, to, perhaps, stop the son, from doing, ‘… I will kill you’.  "  Incorrect.  The signage was not placed to stop people from making threats, or to stop them from entering with a firearm.   I was attempting to indicate that nobody has stated that they believe a sign will stop threats, guns or anything of that sort.  Nobody has stated thus far that they think a sign will stop crime.

First you said: “…  He was terminated for violating the companies policy on the open carry of weapons….”

So did the company, change, it’s, ‘…companies policy…”, for which he: “…was terminated for violating the companies policy on the open carry of weapons….”
Because next post you said   “…   They are not allowed to conceal carry …”

You need to clarify more. ’terminated for volition of open carry’  Now,  ’not allowed to conceal carry’.
Yet they can defend themselves. (With what, a clipboard and a pen ?)

The sign, ’no guns’ is for BOTH, CC and Open.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/09/18 at 16:08:53

"The sign, ’no guns’ is for BOTH, CC and Open."

Yes.  

The company policy has always been no open carry of weapons, no change to that policy has ever occurred.  The employee was terminated for open carry, since he refused to enclose or conceal the weapon he was carrying.  Terminated means from employment for the company that runs the associated medical centers.

When the signs were posted state law then requires no concealed carry either.  Thus the statement "They are not allowed to conceal carry" specifically on property where signage is posted, but only after the signage was posted.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #9 - 07/09/18 at 16:23:43

Eegore wrote on 07/09/18 at 16:08:53:
"The sign, ’no guns’ is for BOTH, CC and Open."  Yes.    The company policy has always been no open carry of weapons, no change to that policy has ever occurred.  The employee was terminated for open carry, since he refused to enclose or conceal the weapon he was carrying.  Terminated means from employment for the company that runs the associated medical centers.  When the signs were posted state law then requires no concealed carry either.  Thus the statement "They are not allowed to conceal carry" specifically on property where signage is posted, but only after the signage was posted.

So, if a person, (bad or good), cannot carry a firearm, open or CC,
How is: "... They are allowed to defend themselves...",  Going to happen ?

You love 'what if's'  so much. Say it is a 96 pound nurse, who is 5',1", tall, and a 250 lb, 6", 4' patient, threatens to kill her with his fist/s.
No where to run away. No one around to help, just the two of them.
Please explain how, "... They are allowed to defend themselves...".

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/09/18 at 20:29:47

I do not care for "what ifs" which is why I ask for data, or reference that can be cited so discussion can be about factual things and not imaginary things.

"You love 'what if's'  so much. Say it is a 96 pound nurse, who is 5',1", tall, and a 250 lb, 6", 4' patient, threatens to kill her with his fist/s.
No where to run away. No one around to help, just the two of them.
Please explain how, "... They are allowed to defend themselves...".

She is "allowed" to defend herself if she feels she is in danger of imminent severe bodily injury or death.  There is no policy in existence, and has never been, that prohibits staff from defending themselves or others.

She can not carry a firearm on the property.  If this is a requirement then she must seek employment elsewhere as there is also no policy that says she must work in that particular medical center.

To say there is a policy that exists that says she is not allowed, as in she can not, should not, or would be unjustified in - protecting herself at all is incorrect.  Nobody has ever said that staff must allow criminals to assault them.

So as an example of why I don't care for what-ifs, we can imagine this stuff all day and counter each scenario with another scenario, (for instance the risk of losing the control of a firearm while in close quarters - Tollet principle of reactionary gap) or use factual data.  That factual data being that zero firearm signs at this particular facility were put in place to deter crime, or increase safety in any capacity.  So far nobody has stated they feel posted signage increases safety.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #11 - 07/10/18 at 09:43:58

Eegore wrote on 07/09/18 at 20:29:47:
"...  She is "allowed" to defend herself if she feels she is in danger of imminent severe bodily injury or death.  There is no policy in existence, and has never been, that prohibits staff from defending themselves or others.
 She can not carry a firearm on the property.  If this is a requirement then she must seek employment elsewhere as there is also no policy that says she must work in that particular medical center. ..."

OK, Got your Spin now.

You said: “…She is “allowed” to defend herself if she feels she is in danger of imminent severe bodily injury or death.  There is no policy in existence, and has never been, that prohibits staff from defending themselves or others….”

Then: “… She can not carry a firearm on the property….”

I Neglected to say, “On that property/job”, when I asked how one would defend themselves..
Because I am sure, you would have explained it fully, that she/he, (on the job, in that building, under that job policy), is NOT  allowed to have Any firearm. Yet if having a State CC, can have a loaded one locked in the car.  
(Unless that place does not even allow one to have a gun in their car, in their parking lot, so they have to park on the street)

So in, “…locations like this is the consistent threats and violence staff deal with, especially in emergency rooms…” That person, is NOT allowed to protect his/her self. (Where it certainly seem like the place of greatest risk)

Next: “… That factual data being that zero firearm signs at this particular facility were put in place to deter crime, or increase safety in any capacity…”
OK, I would like to see that, “… factual data  …”  where can I get a copy of it ?

Or were you trying to say: ‘The factual data, that a Sign saying, ‘zero firearms in this building’,  will stop crime, deter crime, or increase safety in any capacity in this particular facility, is none’.

Again it sounds like, Saving Money, (Less Lawsuits), and not caring if, employees defend themselves, (While at Work)

It is misleading  saying, a person is free to defend themselves, yet NOT mention that it does NOT include the place, where is seems like they are at the most risk.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/10/18 at 10:38:24

"So in, “…locations like this is the consistent threats and violence staff deal with, especially in emergency rooms…” That person, is NOT allowed to protect his/her self."

Incorrect.  They are allowed to defend themselves, there is no policy that states they must allow crimes to be committed against them.

Do you mean to say they can not defend themselves exclusively with a firearm?   The answer to that is yes.  They can not carry stun guns, pepper spray, knives, canes, swords, nunchuks etc. as a means of defense on company property.  These are all legal to carry in the state but not allowed on the property.

And yes that can not park on company property with a firearm in the vehicle.

"Again it sounds like, Saving Money, (Less Lawsuits), and not caring if, employees defend themselves, (While at Work)"

This is correct, as stated in the original post there are more lawsuits than threats: " Lawsuits are presented weekly, threats about every other month."

The signs were not put up to prevent crime or increase safety.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/10/18 at 10:41:55

Next: “… That factual data being that zero firearm signs at this particular facility were put in place to deter crime, or increase safety in any capacity…”
OK, I would like to see that, “… factual data  …”  where can I get a copy of it ?

I can send you a copy of the EIC meeting transcript that has statements from all administrative staff that chose to comment on the issue.  The names would have to be redacted and it will take about two weeks to gain the appropriate permissions.

There is also a transcript of a brief section of a longer meeting with FEMA that touches on the subject for Joint Commission review, names would be redacted and only the section addressing facility signage would be made available.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #14 - 07/10/18 at 11:12:34

Eegore wrote on 07/10/18 at 10:41:55:
   I can send you a copy of the EIC meeting transcript that has statements from all administrative staff  ..."

Sure, send them to me.  Just PDF/RFT/DOC it, then, PM me the info.
I will read it, and use the statements, in any way I choose to do so.
Thanks !  (eliminating names of people, totally expected)

“… Do you mean to say they can not defend themselves exclusively with a firearm?   The answer to that is yes…”
Ya, the way the discussion was going, believe just about everybody was thinking the same thing.
So, the Doctors/Staff, can can defend themselves with what, a pen and a clipboard,  against a Gun.

The, ‘opinions/meeting transcripts’ you are going to send, say, a sign works, (or was it, they don’t work), well, will find out when you send copies.
So, while at work, or walking to their car, in a high risk area, the Doctors/Staff can use a  clipboard and a pen, to defend against a gun, which the person with the gun, don’t give one hoot ‘bout what a sign say.

Looking forward to reading the meeting transcripts, which the names have been crossed out.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 06:46:14

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Gun sign implementation at a medical center

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.