Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Found this interesting... slice of life piece (Read 52 times)
LostArtist
Ex Member

Found this interesting... slice of life piece
06/26/18 at 13:13:20

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/26/politics/trump-south-carolina-reporter-acosta/...

I know, it's evil CNN....   Roll Eyes

What I saw at Trump's South Carolina rally

my favorite part:

"You're a good man. Your mama raised you right," the man told me. "She tried," I joked to him.

As the President railed against the press during his speech, the same man looked back at me to tell me he understood this was all an act. He knew I was not the enemy.

At the end of the rally, the elderly woman who used my chair thanked me and shook my hand. Then she just held my hand for a few moments, paused and said to me: "I hope you're going to be OK."

My team and I endured a few more insults as we headed toward our car. But, yes ma'am, we got out of there just fine."

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: Found this interesting... slice of life piece
Reply #1 - 06/26/18 at 14:01:01

Cool, can you do one with Berkeley too?  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #2 - 06/26/18 at 15:59:24

Watched the video.
 What was ON  the Video, was, NOT on the, ‘written’, part.
That was:
“ Possible to have Civility in this society, …
We all have to work on it,
Press Secretaries, Presidents,  JOURNALISTS”

Start at  1.25.

Why does the, spoken, word in the Video,
NOT,  match the, written, word. ?

Could it be, some of, the Ultra-Lefties, are starting to,  truly understanding, the Ultra-Lefty way,
is NOT, the  Right Way !!!!!!!

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/26/18 at 16:39:43

MnSpring wrote on 06/26/18 at 15:59:24:
Watched the video.
 What was ON  the Video, was, NOT on the, ‘written’, part.
That was:

Start at  1.25.

Why does the, spoken, word in the Video,
NOT,  match the, written, word. ?

Could it be, some of, the Ultra-Lefties, are starting to,  truly understanding, the Ultra-Lefty way,
is NOT, the  Right Way !!!!!!!

yeah, it kind of does match...  if not word for word,  the sentiments match clearly

as for the "right way" as you put it, which example of the right wingers being rude didn't you catch? that "ultra lefty" Jim Acosta was civil the WHOLE time to everyone there, while they were deriding him and yelling at him.  

Jim rose above all that, as he does, or are you just ignoring his civility?   or are you just praising the examples of civility by the Trump supporters only??  

what I found nice about this piece was that it showed that everyone is human and journalists aren't the "evil" some people claim, he was just doing his job and he was a human that offered his chair to an elderly lady, and that act got him some respect, once the crowd started seeing him as human rather than "the enemy" they had a better understanding, him being brung up right, that made him human to those that knew. Jim stood there and showed everyone he dealt with respect, never ONCE shouting back...  and I think it's nice that a decent percentage of the crowd at least got that and felt the need to apologize or at least wish him well.  

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #4 - 06/26/18 at 16:54:12

LostArtist wrote on 06/26/18 at 16:39:43:

yeah, it kind of does match...  if not word for word,  the sentiments match clearly ..."

NO, it does NOT !

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/26/18 at 19:57:21

I can't find the part at 1:25 where written words appear.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/27/18 at 08:42:18

Here's the transcript of the video:

Jim "President Trump will be here later tonight, campaigning for the man he wants to be the governor of South Caralina for another 4 years. That is Henry McMaster.  And as you can hear behind me, Wolf, the crowd is very fired up.  We have about a couple thousand people in this room so far. They are letting the press corps here know exactly how they feel about what we’re doing here, Wolf. "

the crowd all this time chanting “Go home Jim!” very clearly on audio

Written on the screen at 0:20-0:25
CNN’s Jim Acosta was heckled while covering a campaign rally with President Donald Trump for incumbent South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster.

“I can’t hear you anymore..”  

"Do you like what you’re doing.....?"  <-- from someone in the crowd

Jim answers “What’s that?”  

"Tell the Truth, Jim!"

Jim “I will, you got it.”

"Tell the Truth"

Jim: “I will.”

"Go home Jim!"

"Go home!"

Jim “I’m staying right here.”

"Go home!"

Jim “I’m staying right here. I’m staying right here.”

with a blurb across the screen saying:  But not all of the interactions were hostile.

Man in crowd “Hey, can I get a picture with you, you’re part of history?”

Jim “Sure, why not? yeah, sure.”

Man: I don’t agree with all your views from CNN, but I do believe that you have a right to be here just like anybody else.

Jim: I appreciate it. Thank you very much.

Man: I apologize for the people of South Carolina.

video cuts, rearranges into a cut screen of the crowd at the rally and Jim’s head in a box to one side

Jim “there was another moment though, I have to tell you, Don, where a man came up to me and said listen, there’s an elderly woman here that needs a chair.  Can anybody give her a chair? I got up from the table. I gave her my chair so she could sit down. And people were saying, hey, thanks for doing that. “

video now shows that this was tweeted out by Meg Kinnard saying:  A moment of civility: As POTUS is delayed due to weather @CNN’s @Acosta gave up his chair to an elderly Trump supporter. She was so appreciative that she wanted her photo taken with him. Her son said to Jim, “You’re a good man. Your mama raised you right.” #SCGov

Jim continues,” And we sort of got into a conversation. I did, along with some of the other people there in the crowd. And you know, we did have a civil exchange. And so I do think it’s possible for us to have civility in this society, Don.

But we really, we all have to work on it- press secretaries, presidents, journalists, and people who go to these rallies as well Don.

-----

so, you're right the exact words:

is not verbatim in the written article, however, how you didn't get that from the article is beyond me, to me, they both relayed more or less the same message, maybe you are more sensitive to the reporting of the "bad behavior" by the crowd than I am and think that the mere reporting of that behavior shouldn't be there as you see it as disparaging to the crowd, but in many places in the article Jim tells about how some in the crowd were good to him and understood his position, so it shows both the bad and the good in the crowd and ends on a good note

the written piece never outwardly disparages the rally crowd, it just reports what they did and said, both good and bad, there's no characterization of anyone in the crowd or of Jim himself

the article reports the harassment Jim got and yet he still remained there and was civil and kind to members of the crowd he tried to engage and in the end, through him WORKING AT IT, they also started working at being civil and showing concern and maybe some compassion towards the end.  

so, yes, while it's not verbatim, it is the core message of the article and in general, in media, you don't just repeat the same thing, so if you say it in the video, you don't really want to just repeat that in an article, cause then, why have the article?  

oh, and Eegore
those words aren't an edited part of the video, it's just close captioning that's reporting what Jim Acosta said to Don. and it's close to the end of the video

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #7 - 06/27/18 at 09:30:57

LostArtist wrote on 06/27/18 at 08:42:18:
 "... But not all of the interactions were hostile. ..."

I wonder if, a reporter, from say, FOX, went to a HRC (or like) rally,
what would happen?

That is, if they would even be let in !

Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin  

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #8 - 06/27/18 at 10:09:56

Maxine

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/27/18 at 11:45:33

MnSpring wrote on 06/27/18 at 09:30:57:
LostArtist wrote on 06/27/18 at 08:42:18:
 "... But not all of the interactions were hostile. ..."

I wonder if, a reporter, from say, FOX, went to a HRC (or like) rally,
what would happen?

That is, if they would even be let in !

Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin  

so Fox News DID have an embedded journalist covering the Clinton Campaign

her main complaint seems to be that it's a 24/7 job....  which is true of all embedded journalism  and it's not easy to be family centric and do that job.

Fox News' Jennifer Griffin: Covering Clinton Campaign 'Is Not an Assignment for People with Families'
https://people.com/politics/fox-news-reporter-jennifer-griffin-on-covering-th...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 21:19:10

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Found this interesting... slice of life piece

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.