Send Topic Print
Soft Civil War (Read 227 times)
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Soft Civil War
06/25/18 at 05:05:06

I read an article titled "Soft Civil War" about how the Trump phenomenon is creating a wedge between people far greater than any normal partisan divide ever could. As an example, the writer of this article was a strong lefty and what he sees as disastrous policy, I seee as common sense.

Who wouldn't enforce borders? Who wouldn't arrest criminals trying to sneak across? You going to let a dangerous man free just because he's got a kid with him? Who wouldn't  restrict entry to the US from Muslim dominated countries woth a history of terrorism who have little or no passport control?

Who would not question trade policies that allow nations to put huge tariffs on our products but demand we never do the same? That seems a valid point.

There's already been literal shots fired. Look at the Congressional baseball practice incident. Little things like most TV shows and certainly late night "comedy " shows are unwatchable by half the country. It's true, the MSM network news is propaganda, Fox on one side, everyone on the other. And Sarah Sanders gets asked to leave a restaurant? Seriously?

Where does this end? Is it really as bad as it seems or, like me, everyone on this forum is interested in politics so we see more than the average person who is for the most part oblivious to what's going on? Or, is almost everyone turned in to the day's events and almost the entire country has choosen which side of the war their going to "fight" on?

(I put fight in quotes to signify this is a metaphor but maybe its not...)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Soft Civil War
Reply #1 - 06/25/18 at 06:14:46

example, the writer of this article was a strong lefty and what he sees as disastrous policy, I seee as common sense.

And when lefties say they want
Common Sense gun laws, it's only common sense to Them. I say
Armed teachers are common sense.

Why do the people who believe OUR COUNTRY should have no doors have locks on their houses?
People should be free to go where they want, right?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/25/18 at 07:52:39

Why does Vatican City, which has the strictest immigration policy of all, demand we do the opposite?

Why does Canada, Mexico ask us to do what they don't?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 06/25/18 at 07:57:17

No duhh, dude..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/25/18 at 08:04:35

"Why does Vatican City, which has the strictest immigration policy of all, demand we do the opposite?"

If we were only a city and the same religion with identical standards of practice they might be ok with it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 06/25/18 at 08:09:29

Huhh?
Whatchew tawkin Bout, Willis?

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/25/18 at 08:19:49

The US immigration policy reflects the standards and abilities of the nation as a whole.  We are an outrageously large economy, dependent on trade and immigration for many things especially in agriculture.

The US recognizes a freedom of religion and its practice within reason.

If the US was a single city, without imports or exports, like the Vatican City, and a single religion, like the Vatican City, then perhaps the VC would not have issue with an identical immigration policy.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #7 - 06/25/18 at 08:38:05

Who holds the microphone......?

When gathered at any event, those with the amplified voice, set the agenda.
The liberals have enjoyed this luxury for a spell now.

They garnered this power from the push back of the Joseph McCarthy era/mindset.
As with all movements, the resistance morphs into the very power hungry machine, they were fighting against, to begin with.......

I think this "threat" of civil war is over-hyped, a scare tactic, that will backfire as the "middle class" will/is, rejecting these arguments, for the most part, and like a over bearing used car salesman, folks have already made up their mind they will not buy anything from this lot.....

I believe all this action is within the norm of a uncharted democracy that will always be "changing" as folks change within its borders, and to events around the world.

If you guys just stop and think of the claims leveled against Obama, you had a lot of crazy folk saying just as stupid stuff about him, as they are about Trump.....
The only difference now, is a lot of the media has joined in that insanity.
They are forfeiting their journalistic integrity, when they let personal beliefs infringe upon their responsibilities to be unbiased.

Let the chips fall where they may, that is what makes this country great, NOT, kicking someone out of a restaurant, or refusing to bake a cake, WHICH, goes against your reasons to be in business, a real proverbial shooting yourself in the foot.

Lets get back to policies that raise all citizens to more opportunities to become what THEY want to be.

Note: Oh boy, this being retired stuff leaves me much time to teach you kiddies....hahaha.  Wink      

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 06/25/18 at 08:45:52

How many elected officials called for confrontations with the presidents staff before?
Slapsy Maxie says get a crowd together and harass them.
God is on our side, she says..

How that idiot gets elected is beyond me.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #9 - 06/25/18 at 09:02:09

“…or, like me, everyone on this forum is interested in politics so we see more than the average person who is for the most part oblivious to what’s going on?…”

I think that is the case.  Perhaps because, the people here, have dirty hands, as in wrenching on a MC, or in other words, involved with something to a higher degree, than most other people, who don’t know what a ‘lug’ wrench is.

This is born out by comments, when talking to someone, they do not want to get into any ‘detail’, about a ‘political’ subject.
Yet will freely go into the most minute detail, about what shoes their favorite NFL player wears. Or the nuances of a tiny fraction of a inch, of the, ‘sweet Spot’ on a certain golf club.

Of course, when I talk about B.C., F.P.S., F.P.E, etc,  I get the same, ‘doe in the headlight’, look, as I give them, when they are talking about NFL shoes, or Golf clubs

Yet when anything, ‘political’ comes up. It is, changed, fast, by everybody.
Just like a large, multi Cultural/Religion/Sex preference/etc. group at a Thanksgiving Dinner, do NOT, talk about Politics/Religion.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #10 - 06/25/18 at 09:34:15

MnSpring wrote on 06/25/18 at 09:02:09:
“…or, like me, everyone on this forum is interested in politics so we see more than the average person who is for the most part oblivious to what’s going on?…”

I think that is the case.  Perhaps because, the people here, have dirty hands, as in wrenching on a MC, or in other words, involved with something to a higher degree, than most other people, who don’t know what a ‘lug’ wrench is.

This is born out by comments, when talking to someone, they do not want to get into any ‘detail’, about a ‘political’ subject.
Yet will freely go into the most minute detail, about what shoes their favorite NFL player wears. Or the nuances of a tiny fraction of a inch, of the, ‘sweet Spot’ on a certain golf club.

Of course, when I talk about B.C., F.P.S., F.P.E, etc,  I get the same, ‘doe in the headlight’, look, as I give them, when they are talking about NFL shoes, or Golf clubs

Yet when anything, ‘political’ comes up. It is, changed, fast, by everybody.
Just like a large, multi Cultural/Religion/Sex preference/etc. group at a Thanksgiving Dinner, do NOT, talk about Politics/Religion.

Not everyone.....
I believe I read a reply that one frequent member does not care, or let, political matters sway him  Roll Eyes

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 06/26/18 at 04:41:31

I was on a flight and because of the video feed delay, I had an opportunity to watch the first 10 minutes or so of Fox News, MSNBC and CNN.

All three ran with the same top two stories in the same order. But the difference was night and day.

Scott Adams the writer of the Dilbert cartoons says the difference between how the R's and D's see the world is like the difference in watching two different movies.

Maybe the country can never come together again. Maybe that's a good thing, maybe a bad thing. I'm not sure. I don't know where this ends. The Republicans will do well in the midterms and the Democrats could unhinge even further. Or they'll admit defeat and re-tool themselves to appeal to the voters they left behind.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #12 - 06/26/18 at 08:06:11

What about folks like me Web?

I could never be proud of Trump, I'm honestly embarrassed about him as our prez.
Yes, he is right on many things, and he is where he is at because of the very intolerance of the left, and their in your face attitude.
He mimics them, 180 degrees politically.

However, the Republicans seem to always play the same song, money, and power via respect, via money.
They are like a workaholic dad, oblivious to their children's needs, too cold.

I think on one hand we expect the goverment to do more than ever intended, however, that does not change the facts that we need them to rule/guide on matters that were not present in the time of our founding.

I don't want to start a 2nd amendment debate, but they could never have foreseen the present weaponry available today, etc,
I believe if they had they would have offered more instructions into how we restrict the use of some, without restricting our freedoms....

Just like religion, it is freedom of, not from, yet......
We see how it is being implemented to restrict folks from expression because they promote ZERO religion...

I will lay much of the blame on a opportunistic media, it's all $$$$$
However, folks need to think for themselves.

This INTERNET holds many solutions, as news and their narrative in no longer a monopoly.

Democracy is always growing and expanding, that is what makes it hard to govern, yet unique from any other system of governance in the world.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/26/18 at 09:49:47

WebsterMark wrote on 06/25/18 at 05:05:06:
I read an article titled "Soft Civil War" about how the Trump phenomenon is creating a wedge between people far greater than any normal partisan divide ever could. As an example, the writer of this article was a strong lefty and what he sees as disastrous policy, I seee as common sense.

Who wouldn't enforce borders? Who wouldn't arrest criminals trying to sneak across? You going to let a dangerous man free just because he's got a kid with him?

so, does simply crossing the border make you a dangerous criminal?  yes, it makes you a "criminal," a misdemeanor at that, oh no!!!  

But yes, we should have a better idea of who is coming in and if they have a criminal history definitely deport them, but isn't that already the law?  So let's get back to giving that law the resources it needs to be enforced correctly without being cruel to innocents (children for example)

Who wouldn't  restrict entry to the US from Muslim dominated countries woth a history of terrorism who have little or no passport control?

what is the new "extreme vetting" policy?  wasn't the travel ban only temporary so they could establish their "extreme vetting" policy? well, it's been WAY more than 120 days... where's that policy at?  

Who would not question trade policies that allow nations to put huge tariffs on our products but demand we never do the same? That seems a valid point.

I'm not sure that's accurate at all... are we going to renegotiate every trade deal with every new president in office? And if you, as a company, don't like the trade deal, don't do trade with that nation.

There's already been literal shots fired. Look at the Congressional baseball practice incident. Little things like most TV shows and certainly late night "comedy " shows are unwatchable by half the country. It's true, the MSM network news is propaganda, Fox on one side, everyone on the other. And Sarah Sanders gets asked to leave a restaurant? Seriously?

And Obama was burned in effigy at Tea Party rallies, Fox News picked Obama apart every chance they got, even down to a tan suit... really?  If you want to use the baseball shooter, then I can bring up the Gifford's shooter, and there are signs all over the place saying "if you're liberal, don't shop here" or "liberals not welcome" etc.. .  

Where does this end? Is it really as bad as it seems or, like me, everyone on this forum is interested in politics so we see more than the average person who is for the most part oblivious to what's going on? Or, is almost everyone turned in to the day's events and almost the entire country has choosen which side of the war their going to "fight" on?

I think that's a huge flaw of this forum, we ONLY see the political side of people here, we don't see a well rounded person that yeah, might hold political views contrary to our own, but they could be dog lovers, and into video games we like, and have great senses of humor when they aren't bashing our side with it, etc. etc, etc...  

(I put fight in quotes to signify this is a metaphor but maybe its not...)

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/26/18 at 15:47:19

A bunch there but are you operating under the delusion Gifforts shooting was politically motivated?

And if a tit-for-tat on left wing vs right wing political violence is what you want, you’ll lose by a mile. Leftist are far, far more violent.

Another example of our Civil War.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 06:29:38

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Soft Civil War

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.