Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
2007 Suzuki S40 - Low RPM engine bogging. (Read 234 times)
Crashmk1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

2007 Suzuki S40 - Low RPM engine bogging.
06/21/18 at 11:26:36

So, as stated in the title , I recently purchased a 2007 Suzuki S40 as my second motorcycle. A short background - I've only been riding for about 3 weeks, and I had purchased a 1988 Yamaha Radian 600. It was a great bike, but it had a lot of oil leakage, and electrical issues. So, I sold it, and found a great deal on the S40 that I purchased this yesterday.

According to the previous owner, at some point, the owner before them had tried to do some sort of exhaust pipe modification, and had messed with the carb in the process. I'm not very mechanically savvy, so I reckon this is my time to learn with a small, and relatively simplistic engine.

While riding the bike (specifically 1st and 2nd), at low RPM, the engine will tend to bog down, though it gets a little better after the bike has had lots of time to warm up.

So, all this being said, my main question is am I in the right thinking that this more than likely has to do with something in the carb/exhaust area? Or is there something else I should be looking into first?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: 2007 Suzuki S40 - Low RPM engine bogging.
Reply #1 - 06/21/18 at 12:12:08

How low is the RPM?... it shouldn't be below 1,000rpm or the top end will starve for oil.

Has the muffler been opened up completely?... How loud is it?...
An open pipe will run like krapola...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Crashmk1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/21/18 at 13:36:27

I'm talking like, low cruising RPM. Probably in the 2-3k range, if I had to guess.

As far as the muffler goes, it sounds relatively stock. I'm not entirely sure what all was done to it during the said "modification".

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/21/18 at 13:57:09

2-3k rpm seems to be normal easy going accel.
1st off, check the petcock
there's a thread for that in the tech section.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 06/21/18 at 14:01:50

Like all new owners ,you should look into the carb,what size jets do you have,is it clean,has it had the spacer mod, is the float level set right ,what is your location (elevation above sea level ) are there any holes drilled in the rear of the stock muffler? these are questions only you can answer,but info we need to have to advise you.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Crashmk1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/21/18 at 17:06:07

To reiterate, I'm not super mechanically savvy. The original question was essentially just, does it seem like it would be a carb issue, knowing that the carb and exhausts have been messed with before. Most of this is information that I don't really know how to check.

I'd probably be best off just taking it to a shop for now, until I know what I'm looking for.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 06/21/18 at 18:20:05

Don't waste your money on a shop. These are EASY things to investigate. If you can make an effort to answer the questions, we can save you a lot of money and probably have the bike running better than the shop because the people here are experts at these bikes, shops aren't.

It is likely a carb issue or carb and exhaust. If you don't think you will ever have the will to let us walk you through opening up the carb, the answers to your questions are not able to be provided because that's where all the answers are.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 06/21/18 at 19:04:08

Where do you live?  Maybe a local member can ride your bike and see if it runs like it should....or needs help.

And maybe your local member would be willing to help.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Crashmk1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/21/18 at 19:25:53

I'm definitely willing to learn. I just don't want to do more harm than good, as this is currently my only means of travel. I sold my SUV this week, because I'm going to be moving to Florida from Ohio in about 3 weeks. I'll be driving the Uhaul, in which I'm going to load the bike, and my fiance will be driving her smaller SUV, and we don't have an extra person to drive the other vehicle for us. So the bike will be my only means of getting around for a bit.

The other main issue is, with the move, I don't have a ton of extra cash to dump into parts and whatnot, and my tool selection is functional, but probably not super adequate either.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 06/21/18 at 19:31:59

Labor is $80 an hour here in N.Y.  at a dealer ,and they don't often work on them ,being "starter"bikes they are often sold to second owners and never see a shop .  When you take it in they lay it off to there greenest employee ,and this is the person that doesn't know the bike any better than you ,who be doing the wrenching (and he might not care). Use this site and buy a Clymer manual ,and you'll learn how to fix/tune the bike,(better than the shop) and save tons of money.It may be that you need to adjust the fuel mix screw.(read through the Tech Section).

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #10 - 06/21/18 at 21:16:38

Can you stop in Auburn AL on your way to FL? A few hours here in my shop and we can tackle this and teach you. Serious offer.  My home shop for free...not a shop with fees  Smiley

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 06/21/18 at 22:46:28

be driving the Uhaul, in which I'm going to load the bike, and

Plenty of YouTube videos showing people fall off of ramps. Either be certain or have help.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Crashmk1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 06/21/18 at 22:54:22

I certainly appreciate that offer! Unfortunately, the bike will have to be the first thing loaded, and the rest of our current 3 Bedroom house will have to be loaded around it.

I have, however, already ordered the Clymer manual, so I will do some reading, and more research online.

As for loading the bike, I will have a few friends available to help. Thankfully, these are light machines, so it shouldn't give me too much trouble. Worst case scenario, I have to ride the bike in, and filming will be forbidden, haha.

IP Logged
Crashmk1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/21/18 at 23:58:36

Okay. So, through all of the research I've done this evening, I'm thinking that the cause of the issues may just simply boil down to air/fuel mixture being too rich.

Symptoms:
-bluing of the chrome header pipes
-bogging down of lower rpms
-occasional backfiring when applying clutch, or letting off of the gas

I'm not saying that it is for sure, but could this be just as simple as adjusting the fuel screw to run slightly more lean? I figure it could be worth a shot, before tearing things apart anyway.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 06/22/18 at 03:54:17

Crashmk1 wrote on 06/21/18 at 19:25:53:
I'm going to be moving to Florida from Ohio in about 3 weeks.

OK.....so you are currently in Oho.

Can you perhaps mention a City?  (Or are you on the run or in a witness protection program?)

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 01:37:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2007 Suzuki S40 - Low RPM engine bogging.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.