Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clutch Cable Tab Lock Boogered (Read 27 times)
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Clutch Cable Tab Lock Boogered
06/20/18 at 22:24:25

I recently had the side cover open to replace the cam chain tensioner. After putting the side cover back on, I went to re-attach the clutch cable. The small box shaped piece of hardware where the cable attaches to the arm was in just the perfect position to get wedged against the engine. After trying to free it by hand with no avail, I attempted to get it to budge by using a 19 mm arm on the clutch lever release arm and tapping gently with a rubber mallet. Long story short, the piece is boogered to the point where it will no longer properly hold the cable. So my question is:

1. Is there a way to buy this specific piece? Looking at the diagram below, it looks like ordering it means you also have to order the release arm.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuki/motorcycle/2014/ls650l4/clutch

2. If you can get the specific piece, how would you replace it?

It looks like I'm most likely buying a replacement arm and side cover gasket to replace a 50 cent piece of metal.  Roll Eyes I'm not sure how it got itself into such a position, probably slid the side cover on just so while trying to make sure I wasn't fudging the sealant on the gasket. But I suppose part of learning is indeed fudging up the unexpected.

Kudos to any suggestions that may come this way!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Clutch Cable Tab Lock Boogered
Reply #1 - 06/20/18 at 23:57:08

First I'd try to remove the side cover ,you may be able to save the gasket ,seeing the sealant is still fresh. You should check inside to make sure you haven't any damage from forcing the arm up. The "trick" to replacing the cover is to hold the arm up (level or slightly higher) when putting the cover on . I'm not sure about replacement parts. If you haven't damaged the S shaped cam release ,you could pull the cotter pin (it's just inside the case) ,remove the arm from the case ,and use a small piece of square stock and a bit of careful light tapping(and maybe a little heat) to reform the metal loop for the cable end to fit in,if it hasn't been damaged badly (or if your handy you could try making one) Good Luck!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 08:22:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch Cable Tab Lock Boogered

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.