Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Windows 7 being killed off by Mickey (Read 91 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Windows 7 being killed off by Mickey
06/20/18 at 09:54:39

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3283328/microsoft-windows/is-microsoft-...

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3183583/microsoft-windows/microsoft-wil...

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/271224-microsoft-kills-forum-support-fo...

Gist time:   If you run Windows 7 you are in the process of being selectively Mickey trimmed at night.  Stuff will quit working sporadically until you give up on it and go get you a new Win 10 machine (MS's plan for you, anyway).

What you should do --- go get a Linux distro disk and get Linux loaded up and running on your machine as a dual boot.   Use the "autumn months" of Win 7 still working right simply to get used to using Linux.  

Immediately cut off all MS automatic update features and STOP LETTING MS HAVE NIGHTLY ACCESS TO YOUR MACHINE ......  ie  STOP ALLOWING MICKEY TO KEEP ON TRIMMING OFF STUFF YOU NEED TO USE.

Read what the XP people are going through right now and realize that is you, later on this year.

Mickey is coming for you ...... they have said so publicly and now so do all the PC rag experts who watch this Mickey forced change stuff roll in.    

The PC press watchdogs say that the "obsolescence trimming process" has begun for you, so you need to take the actions you need to take to get a Linux dual boot set up on your machine and begin using the Linux side so you can get used to it.

« Last Edit: 06/20/18 at 11:49:15 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Windows 7 being killed off by Mickey
Reply #1 - 06/20/18 at 12:04:15

I'm mainly using Linux now ,but I still have issues with it.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 06/20/18 at 12:22:31

Win 7 users -- you have 64 bit processors in your machines.   All of you.   Only get 64 bit versions of Linux Mint Mate DVDS for your dual boot systems ......

Hey guys, considering you got plenty decent enough hardware still sitting on your desk,  you can get a Linux Mint Mate DVD from https://www.shoplinuxonline.com/mint.html for just $3 and just convert your existing hardware over to dual boot Linux Mint.

Remember to get the 64 bit version

I recommend that you use Linux Mint Mate and if you can wait a week or two the new VERSION 19 will be out and will be available from these folks.

This $3 deal is actually a pretty good price if you don't have a DVD writer that works any more, but you still have a working DVD reader on your machine.   Otherwise, you could download the ISO file for free and burn your own bootable DVD on your own machine for free.

IF YOU HAVE COMPLETELY DEAD DVD DRIVES or simply prefer to use a USB stick, you can buy those from these guys already ready to go in 64 bit versions.   Cost is $14 for the loaded bootable USB drive.    

Please make sure YOUR machine will boot off a USB drive before ordering a USB stick.   For example some early XP machines totally pre-dated USB technology completely and their BIOS won't boot off of a USB stick at all.   Some of these old vintage XP machines got updated to Win 7 and they really aren't really USB capable.  So remember to check to make sure you can set your boot order to "USB first" before ordering the USB software set.

https://www.osdisc.com/products/linux/linuxmint  sells both DVD disks and USB drives with Linux Mint loaded and ready to go, they just cost a bit more than  

https://www.shoplinuxonline.com/mint.html  charges for the same software.

.......  key thing is to go get something and have it at your house and have it installed on your machine before Mickey goes and breaks your existing set up in an attempt to MAKE you "have to go buy a brand new expensive Win 10 machine".    

That really is Mickey's plan.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 06/20/18 at 13:00:34

jcstokes wrote on 06/20/18 at 12:04:15:
I'm mainly using Linux now ,but I still have issues with it.

JC, what problems are you having?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 06/28/18 at 01:43:32

MajorFatBoy details up the current issues being forced on Win 7 gaming by Mickey which are causing game players to have to roll over to Win 10 en masse.

Majorfatboy wrote on 06/27/18 at 15:58:42:
Those of us Windows seven users are in for some trouble as well. Seeing more and more small game devs specifying Win10 in the minimum system requirements, and just got an email from Oculus saying they're going to make Win10 the minimum req' for their software as well. It claims I should still be able to use the hardware, but accessing newer software from their client shop might be a problem.
I have Win10 on My tablet, despise it, and Win10 has some pretty bad compatibility issues with older games.
So I'm left with keeping My system of nearly seven years as it is, and with it the ability to run all of My software, OR... Switching it to Win10 just to run a few modern titles, loose compatibility with older games, and be plunged into the maddening hell of Win10's hardware / software support problems, it's nagging, nanny-state updating system that takes far to much effort to cripple, it's forced bloatware that can only be removed by way of obscure powershell commands, the ever present worry of "cortana"...

...I think I'll just stick with seven for a while longer, VR be darned.
Besides, I have My Sega Genesis set up just a few feet from Me, and My Commodore 64 isn't far either.

I especially agree to his points about Win 10 being a pain in the ass about nightly updates CAUSING issues and making you spend extra time digging into your system files to fix them.   This is caused by Microsoft pushing badly written nightly patches several times a month into the guts of a Win 10 machine, or by replacing the vendor drivers that you put on your machine with Mickey drivers that really don't work all that well with advanced games.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Majorfatboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/28/18 at 12:06:41

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 06/28/18 at 01:43:32:
by replacing the vendor drivers that you put on your machine with Mickey drivers that really don't work all that well with advanced games.

This is a big one right here. Late last year, when I was going through the nine circles of hell that is Oculus' hardware issues, I found out that win10 users actually had it a lot worse than Me, as the generic USB drivers Micro$oft shoves into their systems was making their expensive usb 3.0 control cards choke and fall over.
The usb 3.0 standard uses the word "standard" loosely. It's one of those things where once You get it working, You stand back and scream Okay, nobody touch it!.

Win10 gets by okay on light-duty setups; Tablets, e-machines, Your straight forward stuff. But if You're a geek (like Me) with a fancy-pants setup; HOTAS, VR, triple monitor, special hardware configs, Etc, or if the system in question is a company/factory-deployed machine meant for certain tasks, not having full control of the software environment can completely blow You out of the water.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:17:50

General CategoryThe Cafe › Windows 7 being killed off by Mickey

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.