Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The ups and downs of riding lessons (Read 45 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
The ups and downs of riding lessons
06/17/18 at 06:16:07

My daughter (27 yrs) showed an interest in the bike. I encouraged her to have a go. The first lesson, two weeks ago, was first gear up and own the street ... she's a natural! I couldn't get the bike back off her.

Second lesson was today. We went down to the local industrial estate to practice second gear and slow-turning.

She nailed it! Then she got a bit cocky, came in hot for a slow-turn, and lost the bike. I don't care about the bike (well I do!) but I thought it fell on her leg!! ... scared the hell out of me!!! She was fine. I was busy trying to get the bike off her leg, while she was standing next to me saying "Dad, I'm fine!"

There's a fine line between encouraging her to have a go (assertive riding), and being cautious. I erred toward assertiveness. I'm proud of her, and it was a learning experience for us both, but man, it scared the hell out of me!!! ... seeing my daughter, and the bike, spinning around on their side on the grass!!

The daughter came out unscathed ... the bike, well, a busted rear drive pulley.

Parts on the bike can be replaced. I'm so happy my daughter didn't get hurt.

For what it's worth, she's keen to get back on the bike, once I replace the rear drive pulley.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: The ups and downs of riding lessons
Reply #1 - 06/17/18 at 07:18:26

One of my kids rode and raced when he was very young. I saw some horrific crashes...each a learning experience for both of us. There’s no better teacher then failure. The important thing is that they try again.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 06/17/18 at 09:17:48

Unfortunately - almost every first motorcycle ride ends with a crash (your daughter was lucky enough to postpone it to the second ride).  Learning the coordination of throttle/clutch/brakes/turning is complex ballet - and the dance changes with increasing changes in speed and road challenges.

I really think that riding in the dirt is the best way to learn how to ride a motorcycle with relative safety.  The dirt is very forgiving, the dirt bikes are pretty durable and most tip overs/crashes don't break anything.....and the dirt teaches you good braking and turning techniques - especially when it is wet and covered in leaves!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #3 - 06/17/18 at 15:08:16

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 06/17/18 at 07:18:26:
One of my kids rode and raced when he was very young. I saw some horrific crashes...each a learning experience for both of us. There’s no better teacher then failure. The important thing is that they try again.

I agree Gary. I was keen for her to get straight back on. Amazingly, the bike had no scratches, dents, or bends, but I checked over the drive line before I got her back on it, and found the damage on the rear pulley - end of lesson for the day.

She is still keen, so we came home and debriefed, it was really educational!  Smiley

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #4 - 06/17/18 at 15:10:18

Dave wrote on 06/17/18 at 09:17:48:
Unfortunately - almost every first motorcycle ride ends with a crash (your daughter was lucky enough to postpone it to the second ride).  Learning the coordination of throttle/clutch/brakes/turning is complex ballet - and the dance changes with increasing changes in speed and road challenges.

I really think that riding in the dirt is the best way to learn how to ride a motorcycle with relative safety.  The dirt is very forgiving, the dirt bikes are pretty durable and most tip overs/crashes don't break anything.....and the dirt teaches you good braking and turning techniques - especially when it is wet and covered in leaves!

I think you're right about that Dave. I realised just how substantial our little cruiser is! My neighbour said the exact thing you just said here. And, in hindsight, I learned on dirt bikes myself.

I may be able to arrange, through a friend, for a couple of lessons on a dirt bike.

Thanks for the input guys  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 13:47:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › The ups and downs of riding lessons

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.