Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
XP users, ya got problems coming at ya (Read 420 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: XP users, ya got problems coming at ya
Reply #30 - 06/26/18 at 10:10:52

So, how often do you go buy a new PC?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 06/26/18 at 10:36:30

On an as-needed basis.  I bought 12 Dell laptops for employees, bought 1 server early last year and maybe 3 or 4 towers I cant recall.

Personally I upgrade at least every other year for home use.  To clarify for an OS it seems they update regularly, like every few months so I don't buy a new PC for each update, just when the hardware is outdated.  My definition of hardware being outdated is when another version is available.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #32 - 06/26/18 at 20:57:22

Based on your responses, I think you likely have no real idea of the realities of "OS replacement" issues, forced Microsoft "old OS phase out issues" or anything much else of the world of those who don't buy new hardware by the dozens every few years.

Asking why some people would want to keep a working OS along with the hardware that they currently own may simply mean that this entire subject is pretty much foreign to you.

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 06/27/18 at 10:42:28

It will continue to be foreign as long as people don't answer.

To me its simple.  People keep XP on their PC's but I do not know why.

You said because "they like it"  That makes sense to me as liking something is an idea I am familiar with.  I don't know why the frequency of computer purchases would prohibit one from understanding the concept of liking things.

I also understand that financially it is cheaper to maintain a current OS than it is to upgrade, except in circumstances where the upgrade is free.  I don't understand why the frequency of computer purchases would prohibit one from understanding the concept of cost, cost management and the difference between higher and lower parameters of an item that costs money, pesos or otherwise.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #34 - 06/27/18 at 12:44:17

Quote:
 People keep XP on their PC's but I do not know why.

Because the computer I have XP and Linux Mint 16 on has neither a fast enough processor, large enough Hard drive, or enough memory to run win 10. It however, runs as flawlessly as a computer can and  is entirely capable of doing everything that I need a computer for, and I don't see any reason to sh*t-can it and buy new hardware just so that I can use a new OS that I don't actually like very much anyway.

When this machine finally fails and is not worth fixing, I will replace it. It's just a tool. As long as it does what I need it to do I'll keep using it; Just like my cars, my lawnmowers, my snowblower, my firearms and my motorcycles. I don't discard and replace stuff just for the sake of having the newest iteration of whatever that stuff is, as long as what I've got serves the purpose.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #35 - 06/27/18 at 13:55:16

Speaking of memory amounts and processor speeds, the new generation of Snapdragon laptops will support (and some will actually come with) 8-16 gigabytes of systems memory and 128-258 gigabytes of on-machine SSD drive storage.

That is a MAJOR MAJOR increase in on-board capabilities ...... and the only reason they would ever need this amount of resources are that Windows 10 and some of the Windows programs out there really are Blue Whale Class data pigs.

Contrast please, the requirements for the upcoming Mint Mate 19 which will be released within 30 days ----

System requirements:

1GB RAM (2GB recommended for a comfortable usage).

15GB of disk space (20GB recommended).

1024×768 resolution (on lower resolutions, press ALT to drag windows with the mouse if they don’t fit in the screen).

These Linux versions will run on older XP class machines.   32 bit versions are available if you have an older Intel processor (pre-64 bit).

===================================================

Reality check on some new phone tech headed into PC land

I have a brand new "cheapie" midrange $199 Google Fi Moto G6 phone coming to me by Fed Ex as we speak because my old one died.   It has 3 gigs of systems memory and 32 gigs of fast on-motheboard systems memory.   My phone has an 8 core ARM processor running each core at 1.9 ghz and it can be capacity bumped using a new current fastest class of micro-SD memory by up to 128 gigabytes of extra addressable systems memory.   I have an $18 (delivered cost) 64 gigabyte version of the fastest current sort of these improved micro-SD cards coming to me along with the phone.

https://liliputing.com/2018/06/next-gen-sd-cards-to-support-up-to-128tb-of-st...    This is new for next year, so don't get too excited just yet.

Supposedly my total of 96 gigs of augmented systems memory will be completely usable for Android apps, maps, pics and anything else.   We shall see how good this new augmented systems memory stuff really is.  I will also see how easy it is to access the stuff stored on that augmented systems memory as pulling stuff back off of an old style conjoined SSD set up wasn't always all that easy to do.

Operationally, Google Fi will operate my phone first (automatically) off of any non-restricted or "contract" WiFi that is currently in range, and failing that it can run off of cell data towers from Sprint, T-Mobile, and U.S. Cellular but this is cell data is charged against my normal data plan.  

How good is the WiFi service level that the Fi phone can go find by itself?   If I find I am ever using cell tower data, I can check the system utility app to see what WiFi sources it shows out there AND I can also check the new Google Datally App to see what new sharing agreements Google now has inked with other hot spot providers such as Time Warner Cable, Charter, etc.  

Datally shows me and the Fi system connects instantly to these "agreement" sources giving me "free data" again just about everywhere we go.  

Generally, the phone finds them by itself and requires no attention from me unless "locked on" roaming is taking place (AT&T towers are especially bad about still using this nasty old school 2G tower trick).

I went to the University Mall area in Chapel Hill this past Thursday and my wife's phone automatically found over 30 completely free WiFi sources of which a varying 10 were all bars or mostly bars as we walked around the place.   The Fi phone she has (last year's Moto X) popped between different WiFi sources seamlessly and she used no cell tower data at all while we were at the place.

While we were at Mo's last year my phone found Mo's WiFi and had it listed and fully operational before Mo could even offer me the password.  I thanked Mo and rolled on, not needing to explain to her that her WiFi is actually Google listed as an "open WiFi source" since she has been giving out the password for years now as free.

Me, I pay $15 a month and generally get refunded $12-13 worth of my 1 gig minimum because I use mostly free WiFi data.    

Sometimes I find I am using AT&T or Verizon cell towers, which gets me roaming charges and makes me shut it off until I can get to civilization and a McDonalds or a Hardees or a Burger King again.

« Last Edit: 06/28/18 at 02:11:17 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Majorfatboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 06/27/18 at 15:58:42

Those of us Windows seven users are in for some trouble as well. Seeing more and more small game devs specifying Win10 in the minimum system requirements, and just got an email from Oculus saying they're going to make Win10 the minimum req' for their software as well. It claims I should still be able to use the hardware, but accessing newer software from their client shop might be a problem.
I have Win10 on My tablet, despise it, and Win10 has some pretty bad compatibility issues with older games.
So I'm left with keeping My system of nearly seven years as it is, and with it the ability to run all of My software, OR... Switching it to Win10 just to run a few modern titles, loose compatibility with older games, and be plunged into the maddening hell of Win10's hardware / software support problems, it's nagging, nanny-state updating system that takes far to much effort to cripple, it's forced bloatware that can only be removed by way of obscure powershell commands, the ever present worry of "cortana"...

...I think I'll just stick with seven for a while longer, VR be darned.
Besides, I have My Sega Genesis set up just a few feet from Me, and My Commodore 64 isn't far either.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 06/27/18 at 18:16:09

Why would you need to switch to a modern system instead of owning both?  I imagine the resale value of a used 7 year old PC is so low that it can't add much to the purchase of the updated system.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #38 - 06/28/18 at 01:59:52

Eegore wrote on 06/27/18 at 18:16:09:
 Why would you need to switch to a modern system instead of owning both?  I imagine the resale value of a used 7 year old PC is so low that it can't add much to the purchase of the updated system.

Are you suggesting having multiple gaming PCs hanging around the house?    Or something else?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 06/28/18 at 05:23:44

I am asking why there is only an option of owning a 7 year old computer, or a new one instead of owning both.

Similar to owning a Sega Genesis and a Commodore 64 instead of owning one or the other.

IP Logged
Majorfatboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 06/28/18 at 11:39:31

My fault for being unclear; Although I built My system about seven years ago, I have none the less kept the hardware up to date; An SSD to boot and load main programs from, a big honkin' EVGA Nvidia gtx 1070 hybrid graphics card with a beefier power supply to match, a Startech USB 3.0 control card to support the Rift, The Rift itself, a bluray burner, memory card reader, etc. I even broke down a year or so ago and updated Win7 to sp1.

I suppose My train of thought was just on the OS itself, why change it if it does most of what I need it to.

As for "why not both?", aside from the cost (I am as the song goes: A man of means by no means), if the only reason currently for a win10 system is to fiddle with some new vr games, well, I like that stuff, but I don't think I like goofing-off with vr enough to justify a dedicated system for it.
I probably wasted to much of My youth on video games anyways.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 06/28/18 at 14:10:37

Makes sense.

I spent 90% of my youth on women and beer, and I wasted the other 10%.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #42 - 07/04/18 at 17:41:44

I have to go along with what others have said. It just works, why change it if it does what I need it to do with no problems?
I've got plenty of hard drive space, memory, a decent video card. I don't need anything more to surf the 'net, word processing, small spreadsheets and watch videos. My system will in no way satisfactorily run Windows 10...it'd be a far stretch to run Win 8 on it. What will this new OS give me that what I already have won't? It requires much more machine to perform slower than what I have. It introduces all sorts of incompatibilities and problems when the forced upgrades come around. It routinely forces upgrades of peripherals due to dropping support for established, working hardware. It spies on me and everything I do. I don't know but I bet it would be almost impossible to operate it without a high speed internet connection. When mine dies or becomes unuseable due to Microsoft and their partners forcing everyone to drop support for the older OS's, I'll just run Linux which will work with and do everything I need whether on new hardware or old.

Just like my 15 year old car, it gets me from A to B and is utterly reliable and in good condition.  It has depreciated basically as much as it's going to. Insurance is cheaper. Taxes are way cheaper.Why change?

I am not a person of means by any measure, in fact, I live right at the poverty line. but if I saw a great benefit to having a newer Win 10 system, I would get one. I just see no advantage for my intended uses over what I have.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 12:14:38

General CategoryThe Cafe › XP users, ya got problems coming at ya

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.