Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
XP users, ya got problems coming at ya (Read 420 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
XP users, ya got problems coming at ya
06/17/18 at 05:28:34

Microsoft has dropped all support for XP

Microsoft has dropped all support for the sub-systems that XP uses

Google has dropped all future support for Chrome on any XP sub-systems and systems since MS is officially killing it off now.

Why is this important?    STEAM for example uses lots of Google bits and pieces ....... and they are all gonna stop working with XP fairly soon since Google has dropped it.

Bad news is Linux is gonna start to get hampered working with XP for the same exact reasons.   However, Linux as a single install software (no dual booting) is still working fine.

Got one list member saying his XP dual boot isn't working (he can't find his XP)     but it isn't a major thing because his Linux is still working fine.

ONCE AGAIN ...... EVERYBODY NEEDS A BOOT DISK REPAIR CD OR THUMB DRIVE.   EVERYBODY NEEDS THIS TOOL     .......    sooner or later,  you too will need it even if you don't use Linux.  

This same tool will give you a way back into Mickysoft (or it used to, anyway).    Mickey would jest love to charge you for a brand new copy of Windows 10 rather than allow you get back into your own copy of their old OS systems  (even if they actually did the evil deed to you on purpose last night during an update).

Go here to get your boot disk repair stuff a) while it is still available and b) while it still works.

https://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair-cd/home/Home/

==================================================

Eventually, you won't be able get your Windows XP or Vista back for love or money --- mainly because your are being "Mickey blocked" from doing so.

Tongue      Mickey wants your money ......

Final Solution then is to take your most current Linux Distro CD and stick in in your drive, reboot the machine and during the re-installtion steps tell it to take over the whole drive.

Post if you have to do this --- and also post how you felt as you hit the "go" key.

Example:   the very first time I did this I felt anxious, the second time I felt "OK about it" and this last time just this past spring I felt relieved to get all the constantly aggravating Mickey shite off my machine.

===================================================

Most all of you XP guys are dual booters for a while now, running Linux and using XP as your dual boot for Windows.

Do not feel abandoned --  as long as you still have your original operating Microsoft Office DVD set you can install them on Linux using Wine which is available on your Linux distro's software repository.

But, as most of you have been dual booting and using Linux for a long time now you are familiar with the Linux Libre Office software and that does the same jobs as Mickeysoft Office.

I find Chrome and Firefox on Linux can do all normal internet functions and "working on the web" allows you to do most thing anyway.

IF YOU HAVE NO LINUX LOADED ON YOUR MACHINE,  you need to load one and get used to using it, or else kinda plan that Mickey is going to force you to upgrade to an expensive Win 10 machine sometime relatively soon.  

Mickey will do this by killing your XP (or some XP program that you need to use).

====================================================

Will Linux as a pure single install only OS on your old XP class machine continue to work out into the future?   Yes, it will continue to work even better once you give it a clean "only OS on the machine" install on your still perfectly functional old hardware.

Mickey actually slowed your old stuff down a good bit as it crudded up over time, with Mickey gone Linux works a lot smoother, quicker and better.

Having Mickey stop supporting XP means something will quit working eventually in XP itself.   All the Linux drivers were all written for XP class machines a long long time ago, and until Linus drops XP machines from the kernel (and that ain't gonna happen) Linux will run just as it has always run.

Example, I currently run a 15 year old Core 2 duo Vista machine on pure single OS Linux Mint Mate and it runs just fine.   Vista was dumped by Mickey long before XP itself was dumped as Vista was a flop failure in everybody's eyes.   The hardware was fine though, and still runs very very well on Linux.

« Last Edit: 06/18/18 at 04:25:40 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: XP users, ya got problems coming at ya
Reply #1 - 06/18/18 at 06:57:17

My Ken Doll makes me smile.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 06/18/18 at 10:38:34

You know, Justin makes a point.   Come Thanksgiving time the Amazon Fire tablets go on sale again for FAR LESS than a Win 10 license costs from the Mickeysoft Store.    $50 on sale is about normal now-a-days for an 8" Fire Tablet.

And I betcha if you bought a keyboard case for it that  8" Fire Tablet would flat out do it for a great many of the XP users here on the list ......

Or if $50 seems a little spendy to you considering you got decent enough hardware still sitting on your desk,  you can get a Linux Mint Mate DVD from https://www.shoplinuxonline.com/mint.html for just $3 and just convert your existing hardware over to Linux.

This is actually a pretty good deal if you don't have a DVD writer that works any more, but you have a working DVD reader on your machine.

IF YOU HAVE DEAD DVD DRIVES or simply prefer to use a USB stick, you can buy those from these guys already ready to go in 32 bit or 64 bit versions.   Cost is $14 for the loaded USB drive.     Please make sure YOUR machine will boot off a USB drive before ordering, some early XP machines pre-date USB completely and won't boot off of a USB stick at all.

https://www.osdisc.com/products/linux/linuxmint

.......  key thing is to go get something and have it at your house before Mickey breaks your existing dual boot set up in an attempt to MAKE you go buy an new expensive Win 10 machine.

« Last Edit: 06/19/18 at 12:01:06 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #3 - 06/18/18 at 12:06:03

What about a 2nd party back up provider?
I am assuming your warning is for lost of  EVERYTHING on our computers, yes?
So if I use another subscription service, I can just go buy a new updated PC and have all the old data uploaded on to it, when this hammer falls, yes?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 06/18/18 at 12:17:23

Raydawg,

I was talking about the basic XP functionality stopping fairly abruptly with no further warnings,  but in that sense you are right that unless your data itself is backed up in some fashion it too is at risk when the XP main backbone system simply quits working.  

If XP goes away suddenly, it takes all your stuff with it ......

Seeing that a 1 terabyte little USB hard drive only costs $50-60 there is no reason not to have your data by itself tucked away somewhere safe.

Take Raydawg's point and get your precious data and your pics tucked away into a safe place, then plan a pathway to keep yourself functional and on-line going forward should your XP simply not work tomorrow morning.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #5 - 06/18/18 at 12:24:08

I downloaded the repair disc . Are there instructions on how to use it?

Do I just insert the usb stick into the drive, then try to boot up? Thanks!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 06/18/18 at 13:50:31

rl153 wrote on 06/18/18 at 12:24:08:
I downloaded the repair disc . Are there instructions on how to use it?

That file may be a disc image, you might have to use Brazero to burn it on to a CD or DVD  or perhaps not if it is just a simple small file set.    The source people should have told you about "what this is" before they let you download it.

====================================================

Your next question moved from CD/DVD discs over to using a usb stick

Do I just insert the usb stick into the drive, then try to boot up? Thanks!

Stick it in, boot it up might not do anything on the older XP class machines.

You will likely have to go into your F10 startup menu and change your default boot order to boot from USB before it boots from C: or DVD.   USB booting was never a primary default on XP class machines because USB booting only became prevalent in the Win 7 era of things.

Go to the F10 boot menu first and see if you got any complications to your machine when you try to put USB first in the boot order list.

XP complications may exist to some forms of USB stuff, some older XP machines actually totally predate USB and there is no ability on these older machines to boot from USB sticks at all, period.

« Last Edit: 06/19/18 at 12:02:43 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 06/18/18 at 14:05:10

Question. How exactly will microsoft kill the XP partition on a dual boot machine as long as the XP partition is not ever connected to the internet ? I use chrome on the Linux side but never open chrome or ie on the rare occasions that I boot to XP. In fact I could probably uninstall both browsers on the XP  side since I don't need them.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 06/18/18 at 14:10:44

Here is the rub --- if you ever let Mickey do anything to your XP machine, intentionally or not, they can change stuff on you.    This includes letting Mickey fix a driver or handle a "security issue".

If you keep Mickey totally away, you keep what you got as long as it keeps working naturally.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #9 - 06/18/18 at 14:12:17

I downloaded the 32 bit version , then cut and pasted it to a usb drive. . I tried f10 and booting from the usb drive , but it didnt work . oh well,

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 06/18/18 at 14:20:33

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 06/18/18 at 14:10:44:
Here is the rub --- if you ever let Mickey do anything to your XP machine, intentionally or not, they can change stuff on you.    This includes letting Mickey fix a driver or handle a "security issue".

If you keep Mickey totally away, you keep what you got as long as it keeps working naturally.

Thanks. Chrome and ie are going to get deep sixed on the XP side. And Micky aint touching sh*t over there if I can help it !.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 06/18/18 at 14:34:52

rl153 wrote on 06/18/18 at 14:12:17:
I downloaded the 32 bit version , then cut and pasted it to a usb drive. . I tried f10 and booting from the usb drive , but it didnt work . oh well,

This stuff doesn't work by just moving files from different media types.

You have to burn your OS boot capable (bootable OS files) following the rules for that media.

===================================================

Do you have a working DVD/CD (a working read drive?)    Is this drive set as #1 on your boot order in the F10 hit parade?  

If so I will send you a known working disc if you PM me your snail mail address.

« Last Edit: 06/19/18 at 11:36:36 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #12 - 06/18/18 at 15:14:28

Thanks OF so much! I will PM it.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 06/18/18 at 16:10:40

Snail mail is crawling your way ........

United States Postal Service Tracer # is 9114901496451465447981

Which processor do you have inside that PC box?  

Reason I ask is most processors in any of the years in the recent past are actually 64 bit chipsets but Mickey was still putting 32 bit OS systems on them because Mickey was jest plain lazy and had a pipeline plumb full of 32 bit systems disks and other bits that still had to be sold.

Linux doesn't care what strange things Mickey did --- if the processor is a 64 bit processor you should consider trying a 64 bit Linux version.    It may get fouled up by some 32 bit components still soldered on the motherboard by a lazy PC maker, but you gotta at least know what processor you are using inside the box so as to say 32 bit or 64 bit.

BTW. the CD inside the envelope doesn't care, it is doing a thing that is not 32/64 bit dependent.

What you can do is post the model number and maker of the PC,
we can find out what we need to know from that ......

« Last Edit: 06/19/18 at 11:34:29 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #14 - 06/18/18 at 18:37:19

OldNSlow:

Make sure you turn off automatic updates also.
Unfortunately there is not really any way to turn off the phone home functionality in XP. I guess it's possible they could get something in that way.

If you ever have to change motherboards I wonder if they'll let you re-register your copy? it (XP) will force you to register again when the motherboard is changed. I've had to do that 3 or 4 times since I installed XP all those years ago. It's all part of their anti-piracy stuff.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 02:50:11

General CategoryThe Cafe › XP users, ya got problems coming at ya

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.