GS 450 Wheels (Read 71 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
GS 450 Wheels
06/13/18 at 12:48:16

I got my mag wheels in the shop and waiting for the 15" rear tire to wear out so the new tire can be a 16".

The front tire is 19" (Old and New) so I can do it anytime.    I've got a rotor made for the GS450 mag wheel and I'm using a caliper that Dave sent .   I understand originally it was off a SV-650 , then the mount was modified to fit the LS-650.
I've got a pair of SV-650 calipers (original) on hand (from ebay) .

So , my current plan is to use the GS450 rotor as is and modify the mounting on the fork  .    The GS450 rotor is larger dia. and a touch thicker than the LS-650 is .    

I'm in no hurry ... the 15 inch rear tire I got now is a Commander II  and they wear like iron.   The last one lasted 22,000 + miles.   This one has about 10,000 miles on it now and by the end of the summer should be into the wear bars a little --- maybe ?  
So , I'm looking at a winter project to get switched from spoked to Mags .    

I understand some fellow SAVAGES here have cut the GS450 rotors down to fit into the LS650 caliper.   I'm hope to keep the full dia and thickness if possible.   Using the SV650 caliper might work ???    I'll find out soon as the Commander is gone.        Or , maybe a little sooner ???

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Re: GS 450 Wheels
Reply #1 - 06/13/18 at 14:53:34

MMRanch, I have a disc for your wheel that has been cut down to s-40 dia. I used it on my bike till I went to the dual piston caliper, when I had to make a bracket I thought might as well use the bigger disc. The dual piston caliper makes a much stronger brake. Between the 2 mods the front brake is waaaaay stronger than stock. If you want the cut-down disc so you don't have to make a new bracket let me know.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #2 - 06/13/18 at 19:04:12

badwolf

It would make things a lot easier to use you disk … how do I get it … ??? … PayPal ?

I like the dual piston caliper Dave sent .    even with the standard disk its got enough power to stop just fine .    If I was going to machine something it would be the mounting of the caliper.    My Guzzi has a big disk and dual piston caliper … it is crazy power on stopping !   The anti-lock brake makes the front caliper turn loose just as the rear wheel is leaving the ground.  Smiley

how about sending a PM with how I could get your "ex-caliber"  Grin

Could this be an "excuse" for me to ride to Florida for a three day cruise ?    Roll Eyes

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 06/14/18 at 07:32:35

I found these neat looking valve stems , so  I ordered 4 of them (they're are on sale now) .    This is the same kind the Guzzi has from the factory and I like the way they look on the machine.  Smiley

valve_stem_001.jpg

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 06/14/18 at 09:18:02

MMRanch wrote on 06/13/18 at 19:04:12:
badwolf

It would make things a lot easier to use you disk … how do I get it … ??? … PayPal ?

I like the dual piston caliper Dave sent .    even with the standard disk its got enough power to stop just fine .    If I was going to machine something it would be the mounting of the caliper.    My Guzzi has a big disk and dual piston caliper … it is crazy power on stopping !   The anti-lock brake makes the front caliper turn loose just as the rear wheel is leaving the ground.  Smiley

how about sending a PM with how I could get your "ex-caliber"  Grin

Could this be an "excuse" for me to ride to Florida for a three day cruise ?    Roll Eyes

I am interested--- please post your plans.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - 06/14/18 at 10:47:28

Cool

I'll have to "consult" with my wife on another trip … two so far this year and the year ain't half over yet !    Roll Eyes

This is a winter project we're talking about so there ain't no hurry on my part.    

You live in South Florida (I think) , so , if I made it a two day ride there and two days back it would be a nice leisurely ride …
or
I might get the wife to take a S-10 ride to Florida and pick up a brake rotor while I'm in the neighborhood.   Having a bike in the truck would be a bonus.  
either way hang-on to that disk for me if you will !  Smiley

MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 06/14/18 at 21:28:11

BadWolf

I ment to call you this evening , but got carried away into a going away party for a young man in our group .    I'll call tomorrow if its ok.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:27:44

General CategoryThe Cafe › GS 450 Wheels

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.