Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sign of our times, arg....??? (Read 53 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Sign of our times, arg....???
06/08/18 at 08:31:47

OK, had to get a new carburetor for the boat, the original one was flooding out, and dirty as heck.
So I bought one online, a rebuilt unit.
It was a third of the cost of a brand new one, yeah, I'm cheap, that's why I bought a Savage in the first place  Grin

I put it on, prime it, and she fires right up, no more looking at the fuel emptying out the reservoir, after I shut the key off, YIKES  Shocked

However, when I go to throttle up, the linkage movement would push the choke (butterfly) back to rich, and kill the motor, WTF.

I tore apart the old carb, studied it, and figgered that perhaps the spring/coil in the new carb might not be working.
I took and jumped it with 12v. She didn't move toward lean, huh?
OK, gotta be a bad spring.
I took the choke off the brand new carb, it was still hot, well heck, that means it must be working.
I jumped it where I could now watch it with my eyes, to see how much it moved...it worked as it was suppose to.
I then noticed, by the way it was originally installed ( by referencing the terminal ) it was put on 180 degrees off, so in effect, it was working, but wasn't engaging the butterfly.
I put it back on where I calculated it should go, waited till it cooled off, made the final adjustments, and gave her the key....
BAM.....fired right up, and after a few, the choke started to open, as it should, HOORAY!  Grin

I am sorta pizzed they sell stuff like this, if I hadn't gotten my schooling here, from some of the guys like Versey, Dave, etc, on "trouble shooting" our bikes, I am sure I would have got frustrated from day one, pulling the boat to a shop, and being about 1500 bucks lighter....

I credit you guys with helping me to "enjoy" finding cures now....
This will go along way in helping me to even enjoy my boat more, in my retired years....

This is sorta a rant post, with a HAPPY ENDING  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Sign of our times, arg....???
Reply #1 - 06/08/18 at 08:52:39

Stuff like that has been the norm forever.
Good on you.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 06/08/18 at 09:32:42

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/08/18 at 08:52:39:
Stuff like that has been the norm forever.
Good on you.

Yeah, but it sure seems integrity has lost any meaning anymore....

BTW JOG, you too have been very helpful in sharing stuff that is beneficial....

THANKS!  Kiss

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 06/12/18 at 05:19:27

That is weird........just this morning I heard a song about a car and in the lyrics they mentioned an "electric choke", and I started thinking that kids most likely had never even heard of such a thing.

Good job diagnosing and fixing the factory flaw.....I wonder how many hundreds of rebuilt carbs they have sent out like that, and how many folks will be able to fix them like you did.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 06/12/18 at 07:14:59

Dave wrote on 06/12/18 at 05:19:27:
That is weird........just this morning I heard a song about a car and in the lyrics they mentioned an "electric choke", and I started thinking that kids most likely had never even heard of such a thing.

Good job diagnosing and fixing the factory flaw.....I wonder how many hundreds of rebuilt carbs they have sent out like that, and how many folks will be able to fix them like you did.

Not to get too PC, but maybe we should change the name of "choke" to a less threatening one like, "enriching valve"?  Wink

Dave, I think a lot of this stuff has to do with trying to be competitive in a ever more competitive market/world.
One of the first places they look for cost savings is labor cost.
Boy howdy, I can tell you from a lot of experience over the last 10 years.
The commercial A/C business has outsourced tons of work that use to be done in-house, to vendors.
They (vendors) win contracts on cost.
Boeing takes advantage of their size to lean on vendors to cut cost, and provide to them these products cheaper, so we can build cheaper as well, and compete in the commercial aircraft sales more aggressively....
However, once you reach a certain "lower" level of labor paying, you no longer attract the "skilled" workforce, or person, and have to sift through more folk to find the good ones.
But the catch seems they leave when a better job is offered elsewhere, and this open door cycling of employees continues.
What seemed to be a way to cut cost, has actually ended up costing more, as delays become prevalent because of "wrong" parts, missing parts, etc, from vendors, etc.

Not sure what they teach in business schools anymore, but this mentality of cheaper labor equals more profit is NOT working in the real world, I don't believe, seems to be, er, uh....."choking" profits to a unhealthy resulting  Wink    

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/12/18 at 08:31:31

seemed to be a way to cut cost, has actually ended up costing more, as delays become prevalent because of "wrong" parts, missing parts, etc, from vendors, etc.

Short sightedness isn't limited to business.
Excellent osbervation Ray.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:17:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › Sign of our times, arg....???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.