Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rear shoes have a front or back? (Read 87 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Rear shoes have a front or back?
06/05/18 at 20:34:18

Picked up a nail in the rear tire.  Bike's at work where I pulled the wheel and brought it home.  Hope to run it by a shop and get a new tube installed and have things balanced.  I had some new EBC rear shoes waiting for the rear wheel to be off so I'm throwing those in just for better grab and less noise.

Is there a front or back to the shoes when installing?

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Re: Rear shoes have a front or back?
Reply #1 - 06/06/18 at 04:34:54

Do you really want more bite on the rear wheel, it's so light that it fishtails pretty easy already if you're not careful!

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 06/06/18 at 04:44:29

The biggest (only?) reason I'm changing them is the noise.  They show a little rust from a PO.  I hear ya though.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/06/18 at 08:05:40

I think I run contrary to standard brake squeal theory, but it works.
There are 2 reasons why the brakes squeal (front or back), moisture and dirt.
Well, 3 if you include crappy material.  EBC's may fix that problem.
If you clean them they'll be quiet for a while, but the noise comes back.
The fronts are constantly being doused with crap so that's going to be tough.  The rears only offer the joint between the hub and the drum to clear dirt (brake dust).  Current brake shoe design says the pads shall be chamfered on the leading and trailing edge.  Which does what?  just allow the dust to get between the shoe and drum... chief cause of the noise.  But if you remove that chamfer and angle the leading edge so that dust is pushed towards the joint between the hub and the drum it will exit on it's own and eliminate that cause.

On the front having a drilled disc accomplishes that task quite handlely.
Although I haven't used stock pads in what seems like forever, I haven't had any issues since I've drilled them.

Moisture is another cause, drying them will solve it.  using the brakes lightly long enough to heat them up or several hard stops will do it.  And once they are dry you will need to keep it in your routine to keep them dry.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 06/06/18 at 09:23:32

No they have a top and bottom, If you chamfer the rear brake shoes on a angle to push dust/ crud to the outside (there's an open slot in the bottom of the face plate) ,you'll need to think about how the rotation of the wheel passes each shoe . the top shoe will need to be chamfered at the end that sits on the cam (it's leading edge) ,the bottom shoe will need to be chamfered at the opposite end(it's leading edge) .You'll be creating a top and bottom shoes. If the rear brake ends up being to strong you could grind extra slots across the surface of the shoe(at the same angle as the leading edge) reducing contact area,and maybe allowing even more dust to escape .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 06/06/18 at 10:53:17

With the bike sitting in the employee garage at our hospital, I just don't have the time to grind in the new shoes.  Just need to get it fixed and back on the road.  

So, it doesn't matter which side of the shoes face outward?

Thanks.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 06/06/18 at 11:46:11

Not that I'm aware of.

WWW   IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 06/08/18 at 10:27:23

Thanks everyone.  All good now.
I put the new shoes in and the rear brake is completely quiet now.  I notice that I have to screw the adjuster nut in almost all the way to get the pedal where I want it.  Even though the factory shoes weren't worn much, I thought the adjuster nut would be out the same or a little less with the new shoes.  Could the drum have worn some?

So, just want to make sure I have this next part right.  Is it OK to take the brake arm off the splines and rotate it a bit so I'm not adjusted in so far on the rod?  If I take it off, is the spring gonna be a PITA?
Thanks again.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 06/08/18 at 21:47:39

brake drum I.D.- wear limit- 160.7mm (6.33") If you move the lever, will the spring under it have enough power to return the pedal ?(don't know)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 06/08/18 at 22:37:35

Since I got here in 2005
I don't know of anyone who had to replace parts in the rear .
Drums and shoes last forever.
You can lock the brake , or use it gently.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 06/11/18 at 08:10:03

Tocsik wrote on 06/08/18 at 10:27:23:
 I notice that I have to screw the adjuster nut in almost all the way to get the pedal where I want it.  Even though the factory shoes weren't worn much, I thought the adjuster nut would be out the same or a little less with the new shoes.  Could the drum have worn some?

I seriously doubt it your brake drum is worn.......it just doesn't do much work.

Maybe something is wrong with your cable - but more likely someone has put the arm on in the wrong place.  You want the arm to be mounted so that the adjuster works and has adequate room for adjustment.

Go ahead and move it.  (And I would have taken the shaft out and cleaned and lubed it while you had the shoes off).

I think that a lot of the squeal in the front brake comes from the stock pads - the EBC organics generally solve that.  The squeal in the back brake comes from dirt/rust.  When the bike is on the kickstand the bike leans to the left - then when you wash the bike (or it sits outside in the rain).....water gets into the rear brake and rusts the steel lining in the brake hub - then when you apply the brake the shoes scrub off the rust and it gets embedded in the shoes and they get noisy.  After you wash your bike be sure to go for a ride to dry out the brake drum and all other places the water sits.  Most times you can quiet your rear brake down by taking it apart, cleaning any rust off the steel liner, and lightly sanding the shoes to get a clean surface.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/03/24 at 00:50:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear shoes have a front or back?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.