Send Topic Print
GPS stuff (Read 102 times)
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
GPS stuff
06/04/18 at 14:21:36

A few days ago I mounted a Tom Tom XXL  unit on the savage. I'm running a chain drive, so I wanted a speedometer . This gps had been used in the car for a few years. The problem is that it is completely useless in the sunlight. Can't see anything. At night it's fine.  If I try another brand, or model, can I expect the same thing ? I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: GPS stuff
Reply #1 - 06/04/18 at 16:21:08

The vehicle GPS units come with a standard touch screen in most cases, and those are not anti-glare or designed with enough backlighting to be used outside.

If you have a phone GPS app there's a good chance your phone will be plenty bright if you want to burn the data and mount the thing.

I would look into a hiking style GPS that doesn't have a touchscreen.  That screen will be brighter and you can hook direct power to them.  A front tire speedometer could also solve the problem.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 06/04/18 at 18:11:10

Garmin makes motorcycle specific models that work well outside, and you can buy used ones reasonably.

The issue becomes what maps are loaded and getting future map updates.  I had to buy a lifetime map update for the used one I bought. (Nuvi 500)

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 06/05/18 at 07:01:38

I got a ~$40 "like new" used Garmin Nuvi 1100 with free lifetime maps. Cheap enough to where if it breaks or gets stolen it's not a crisis.

I have it on USB power from the bike so I run it on full bright all the time.  I have been pleased with it but if you have the sun at your back I am sure it'll wash out the picture some.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #4 - 06/06/18 at 04:45:34

The best GPS for a bike in my opinion is the Garmin Oregon 600. You can pick them up pretty cheap now because the 700 is out and it doesn't have anything on it worth having. It's the perfect size. I can make a custom route in Basecamp then send it to the gps. It's magic.

You can load them up city navigator maps for turn by turn routing. We have two and don't leave home without them. Daylight readable screens

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 06/06/18 at 21:38:57

It's a wonder how anybody ever traveled anywhere before GPS. I use a map , I don't care to have my bike cluttered with all that electronic crud .I use MapQuest(FREE) before longer trips,and know where I'm going. Other times I just try to get lost (a good way to find new places/roads/and meet new people) and just use an old army compass( held for a sec in front of your headlight ,it can be read in the dark) to guide me home.Sometimes less is more.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #6 - 06/08/18 at 10:16:51

You're right batman. I have a small compass on my keychain that is pretty good. There is something special about getting the map out while sipping coffee at a rest stop. I still have Esso maps from years ago. I will still attempt gps, but am not crazy about the look. In the end, it may be a simple gauge unit from Dime City.  Thanks to all for the replies.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #7 - 06/09/18 at 06:07:08

batman wrote on 06/06/18 at 21:38:57:
It's a wonder how anybody ever traveled anywhere before GPS.

It's no more a wonder than how anyone got decent information on fixing their bikes before the interwebs.

I'd rather be riding than wrenching, but sometimes work needs to be done. However I'd much rather be riding than trying to navigate with a shite map. Or discovering that the country road marked on the map is in fact a dirt track and then needing to suddenly find my way around it.

I'll be going bush in a few months, I'll have paper topo maps as well as a compass but I'll hopefully not be needing it as I'll be doing this with a gps. Believe me, (or not) when I say a good handheld gps makes this short life we get to live, a darn sight more fun.

As for 'getting lost', well you can get lost better with an auto routing gps, you simply set it to where you want to be and ignore the directions. Go wherever you like, it will keep re routing and you can ignore it to your heart's content, then when you've had enough you follow it again.

If you discover an interesting spot or road, you can mark it and be able to get right back to it. You can plan the most interesting roads to ride, check them out on google earth that there's no funny business, and then send them to the gps. And believe it or not but once you've done that, you're not legally obliged to use it. You can actually turn the gps off if you like.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #8 - 06/09/18 at 07:05:39

I learned something yesterday riding. On my Garmin 1100, I set it on night mode in the daytime and the added contrast makes seeing the maps MUCH easier in the daytime sun. Try it.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #9 - 06/09/18 at 10:08:14

I will. I'm also trying flat black visors, and setting the unit at different angles. Have not had any great improvement yet, but time will tell.  Thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 08:25:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › GPS stuff

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.